To what extent do you engage antis in your personal life?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I had a conversation a couple of weeks ago with our IT guy. He's MAJORLY anti-gun, big-time liberal. Loves Obama.

Me (talking to someone else): Yeah, I'm gonna go shooting this weekend to see how my new gun performs out of the box and see if it would be one I would carry.
    Him (no joke, this is what was said): I hate guns. Only p*****s have guns. They're for people who can't fight.
    Me: So you don't wanna see a picture of my new toy? :):
    So when does he want to take the gloves off and see who the ***** is?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I ever had the desire to debate and argue anything, I've lost it, especially for RKBA issues. I'll express my opinion, but I'm too tired to debate.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Another fitter and I used to debate the 2nd amendment and politics at work, in Chicago, where he lived.
    After a few times of him claiming that the 2A didn't mean anyone could own a gun, he went home one night and actually read the 2A.
    He came in the next day and to my surprise, told me that he actually read it and a light bulb lit in his head, He now believes that EVERYONE has the right to own any firearm they wish.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Another fitter and I used to debate the 2nd amendment and politics at work, in Chicago, where he lived.
    After a few times of him claiming that the 2A didn't mean anyone could own a gun, he went home one night and actually read the 2A.
    He came in the next day and to my surprise, told me that he actually read it and a light bulb lit in his head, He now believes that EVERYONE has the right to own any firearm they wish.

If only the rest of the antis had the same ability to admit that they were wrong.
    I'm convinced most of them originally come to their incorrect opinion because they were either raised to believe it, or because the circle of friends that they surrounded themselves with early in life believed it, i.e. groupthink.
    Later on, even when they see that they had been told wrong the whole time, their own innate bull-headedness and pride prevent nearly all of them from admitting their error.
    Many of them may even know that they're wrong, but they can't abide telling "those people" that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    A bit tangential to the core issue but could use a little input from INGO. I've recently found out that my nephew, who did two tours in the sandbox w/the army, has become 'against private ownership' of firearms. I haven't yet explored what this means with him because I'm waiting until we can talk FTF. For the life of me I can't fathom how his viewpoint could have moved so radically in a relatively short time. The only thing I do know is in the same time frame his father's view have moved drastically in a conservative direction so it may be a case of 'for whatever my father is against'. Has anyone run into this viewpoint from ex-military and can you let me know what arguments I might encounter from him when I do engage him. He and I have a very cordial relationship and I think he will actually listen to what I say although agreement won't be automatic.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    ^^ I'd remind him that 2A mentions "shall not be infringed" which is what he is advocating. My attitude with these folks is if you don't like guns, fine, don't own them, but DO NOT expect me to forego my right to gun ownership.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    My attitude with these folks is if you don't like guns, fine, don't own them, but DO NOT expect me to forego my right to gun ownership.
    If only others had the same attitude and had the courage of their convictions without forcing others to share them.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If only others had the same attitude and had the courage of their convictions without forcing others to share them.

That, my friend, is pretty much the key to everything. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of human beings aren't truly happy until they can stick their nose in other people's business and tell them what to do, how to live their lives, how to raise their children, what to put and not to put in their bodies, etc.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Offer to take him shooting. You can argue all you want and if doesn't want to hear it, he won't. Get him interested in shooting and he'll convince himself.

Right. I did this and did a writeup on INGO. Basically changed a few views for him. When I showed up he was in the lot talking to someone who was extolling the virtues of a Saiga .410 for the little missus....
    And after shooting he now knows how ridiculas the " why didn't they shoot him in the arm, shoulder, leg, or through the tosro but avoid all vitals? " talk is.
    One handed was enlightening for him...

On 2A I point out it says "right of the people", not "right of the police" or "right of the National Guard", etc. My standard rule is to avoid libs.

'Right the same "people" who can assesmble, speak freeely and be secure in their persons and papers.......

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Been going back and forth with an acquaintance. He's very hung up on the whole "well-regulated" thing and he's been throwing it in my face at every opportunity in support of gun laws. I finally summed it up like this:

"Two hundred years ago, well-regulated meant 'in good working order'. Two hundred years ago, a f****t was a bundle of sticks. Today if I said I was going to burn a f****t I'd be turned into the police, but you can't fathom that the meaning of well-regulated hasn't changed in some form during the same time frame?"

"You're wrong, that's totally different."

I mean, it's obviously no use even debating him, right?

You tried, but you can't convince someone who CHOOSES to be stupid.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A bit tangential to the core issue but could use a little input from INGO. I've recently found out that my nephew, who did two tours in the sandbox w/the army, has become 'against private ownership' of firearms. I haven't yet explored what this means with him because I'm waiting until we can talk FTF. For the life of me I can't fathom how his viewpoint could have moved so radically in a relatively short time. The only thing I do know is in the same time frame his father's view have moved drastically in a conservative direction so it may be a case of 'for whatever my father is against'. Has anyone run into this viewpoint from ex-military and can you let me know what arguments I might encounter from him when I do engage him. He and I have a very cordial relationship and I think he will actually listen to what I say although agreement won't be automatic.

I don't have any insight on how to reason with him, but I have experienced the same thing and I was shocked. I had to listen to a list of things "civiilians" shouldn't be allowed to own, including ARs, AKs, and any gun that fires more than six rounds because "no one needs more than six rounds."

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I typically try to gauge how anti they really are.

Like, do they also wear skinny jeans, flannel shirts and a beard? (In other words, it's hip to be anti.) If they're just "anti-for the moment" I'll invite them to go shoot. When they say they're not into it or don't like guns I ask why they're so discriminatory and close-minded. I ask which other groups of people they like to discriminate against. "So you don't like _____ either?"

If they're staunch anti-gunners and don't think anyone except the police and military should have them I ask why they've taken the position without doing their own research. "You mean you're going to hold a position without having first-hand experience? Good thing you've never been to the edge of the earth. You'd fall off!"

Without fail, the people who are anti-gun are folks who just don't know about them or they've had some type of issue. With a little "fun and gun" (education) they can almost always be turned.

I do my best to engage everyone. Then again, I work at a gun store, wear crazy gun guy t-shirts all the time and generally hang with shooters in my daily life. They can tell I plead the 2nd.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    A good friends wife is a liberal as is her whole family. She "doesn't want guns in the house". He has a couple guns acquired before the marriage that he keeps to her dismay. How do you change the mindset of a lib? If they can't figure it out on their own, they're doomed to life as a lib.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    There is another category of anti-gunner: The ones who believe (correctly) that they would be irresponsible with a gun because they are impulsive and lacking in appropriate temperament, therefore no one else should be allowed to have one.
    I agree with them about their first opinion, but vehemently disagree with them about their second.

Top Bottom