• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7.62-5.56Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Portland, IN
    Hey Im about to embark on yet another AR build. Just really wondering what top 5 upgrades everyone on here is making to thier firearms and why. Theres no order of importance. Mine would be. Besides the obvious mags and ammo. because mags and ammo are required for the gun to function. In my opinion those are not upgrades.

1. Optics and BUIS- Quicker target acquisition.
    2. 3-4# Trigger- Faster follow up shots
    3. Sling- To take the load off your arms, or to hold your firearm while you do something else.
    4. Flash Hider- For concealment.
    5.Foregrip- Steadier aim.

Ready. Aim. Fire.:ar15::popcorn:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    4. Flash Hider- For concealment.

Not an upgrade; the vast majority of ARs come with flash hiders already, and the vast majority of users don't shoot their guns in low light anyway. ;)

Optic? Yeah. My eyes suck.
    Sling? Sure; it is to a rifle what a holster is to a handgun.
    White light? If your gun is to potentially be used for "serious social purposes" as opposed to hunting or just a plaything or range queen, definitely.

Everything else is gravy.

Train with your rifle.
    upgrade yourself

What he said.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    5 mods, not including the obligatory ammo, mags, and training.

Red dot optic
    Weaponlight
    Sling
    BUIS
    New grip

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    3. Sling- To take the load off your arms, or to hold your firearm while you do something else.
    Sling? Sure; it is to a rifle what a holster is to a handgun.

A sling has a far better use than that, in fact it is the most important mod you can make. The wrong sling is generally useless, worse than useless. The right sling, used by someone who understands it's benefits, can be the biggest accuracy upgrade you make.

YHJ

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    For me the first upgrade would be the trigger, a good trigger allows for better accuracy and faster rest times.
    Second would be a good sling that can be used for support, not just for carrying it slung over the shoulder.
    Third, upgraded fixed iron sights (I don't own any AR the requires detachable iron sights) with a tritium front sight.

Optics come further down the list after obtaining and proofing 20 magazines, and becoming proficient with the irons.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Train with your rifle.
    upgrade yourself and find out what u like best.

Yep, I signed up with Fortress Defense to attend their 6 day handgun/carbine training course next month and can't wait. I'm a noobie with AR15s and this will teach me a lot as to how much I dress'em up. Right now, I've just got BUIS and quad rails on a flat top. I'm thinking that's all it needs, but she's ready for more when the time comes.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Right now, I've just got BUIS and quad rails on a flat top. I'm thinking that's all it needs, but she's ready for more when the time comes.

For a class like that you'll also want a sling and a pile of mags. Personally I would also recommend a red dot optic to use once you've got your irons squared away, but it certainly isn't necessary.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Since you will not be in a tactical environment fighting the Mongolian Hoards at night in the jungles of South Africa. I would suggest you go with a muzzle break over a flash hider for faster fallow up shots.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    For a class like that you'll also want a sling and a pile of mags. Personally I would also recommend a red dot optic to use once you've got your irons squared away, but it certainly isn't necessary.

Didn't think about it on my first post, but yes, I've got a sling (single point) and 4 mags. Hopefully that will be enough. Since I have never looked at a target through red dot, ACOG or Eotech sights, I'm holding off hoping that I can see how these things operate and maybe make a jump to one of these after the course.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Personal list

Also, keep in mind that the more you put on your rifle, the more that you'll have to carry, possibly for long periods of time. In this case, less is more... but don't short yourself on something that will benefit you in the long term.

Personally, my list would be as follows:
    • Sling
    • Red Dot Sight
    • White light
    • Detachable 3x magnifier (Preferably on a hinge mount, can be detached until needed)
    • Low-profile BUIS
    COWITNESS, COWITNESS, COWITNESS.

YMMV, but that's how I'd roll.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Didn't think about it on my first post, but yes, I've got a sling (single point) and 4 mags. Hopefully that will be enough.

Four will be a bare minimum, as you'll likely have 1 in the gun, 1 or 2 on your person, and a backup if one becomes damaged. You'll also be spending more time offline jamming mags. I'd grab a few more if you could.

Since I have never looked at a target through red dot, ACOG or Eotech sights, I'm holding off hoping that I can see how these things operate and maybe make a jump to one of these after the course.

I'm sure they'll be lots of them present in the classes. I bet some guys would even let you run a string or two with their guns so you could get an idea of how they work and why they're beneficial.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    1. rebar cutter assembly
    2. bayonet
    3. flare launcher
    4. multicam paint job
    5. anything/everything from magpul

also, some kind of sweet laser engraving on the mag well. a grim reaper, or skull and crossbones, or something along those lines. you know, something that lets people know that when youre not in your cubicle sucking down big macs youre a soulless killing machine.

not necessarily in any order, but theyre all musts for me.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    1. Free float tube. To isolate the barrel from sling pressure.

2. 1/2 minute rear sight. So you can move the 80 grain bullet into the x-ring at 600 yards.

3. RRA two stage trigger with Wolf extra power hammer spring to reduce locktime.

4. RRA black nylon GI type web sling. Is a sling a mod? Really?

5. 1X7 or 1X8 barrel so that you can shoot that 80 grain bullet at 600 yards.

The AR doesn't need anymore mods to make it competitive.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    1. rebar cutter assembly
    2. bayonet
    3. flare launcher
    4. multicam paint job
    5. anything/everything from magpul

also, some kind of sweet laser engraving on the mag well. a grim reaper, or skull and crossbones, or something along those lines. you know, something that lets people know that when youre not in your cubicle sucking down big macs youre a soulless killing machine.

not necessarily in any order, but theyre all musts for me.

I smell sarcasm... :D

Top Bottom