• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a truck gun. Yes I know the risks and yes I still want one. I already had a pump shotgun and wasn't too fond of it so I wanna try something different. At the LGS, here are some .22 rifles; some Marlins under $200, a 10/22 (just standard wood stock) for around $235 (I can't remember for sure) and a cheap off brand bolt action magizene fed .22 rifle for $140. I've also considered getting a cheap 30-30 or bolt action .223 if I can find one. I'm really trying to stay under $300. Any suggestions? I've even considered a .22 revolver (big revolver guy :):). I'm mostly looking for a varmit gun.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    What will the gun be used for? Don't say truck gun. What is YOUR purpose for a truck gun?

Mine would be a gun to get me out of a situation and back home to a "safe" place and more equipped place.

You say a "varmint" gun, what kind of varmints?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    HiPoint Carbine. You pick the caliber 9, .40 or .45. $300 will get you the gun, ammo and a lifetime warranty. And likely a solid functioning gun. An ugly, fugly relaible gun.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    How about a bolt action 223?
    Savage, ruger, and t/c have excellent options right at $300 if you shop around.
    Need more gun? 243? 270? 30-06?

And yes, define what a truck gun is for YOU? Sounds like a "beater" gun that you'll just keep around in the truck, but doesn't need to be high capacity, right? ?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    HiPoint Carbine. You pick the caliber 9, .40 or .45. $300 will get you the gun, ammo and a lifetime warranty. And likely a solid functioning gun. An ugly, fugly relaible gun.

Yep. I have one in .40 I got for a song. If I'm going more than about 50 miles of my house it comes with me.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    How about a bolt action 223?
    Savage, ruger, and t/c have excellent options right at $300 if you shop around.
    Need more gun? 243? 270? 30-06?

And yes, define what a truck gun is for YOU? Sounds like a "beater" gun that you'll just keep around in the truck, but doesn't need to be high capacity, right? ?
    Right. I don't really need high capacity and it's mostly for farm varmints like opossums, raccoons, stray dogs and cats, and groundhogs and maybe coyotes.

I'd really like a lever action 30-30 carbine but I'm not sure if I can find one in my price range.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since you mentioned coyotes as one of the varmints, a .22 rimfire wouldn't really be suitable, so you'll want something in the .223 or up category, or one of the pistol caliber carbines already suggested, preferably the .40 or up.
    You really don't need anything as powerful as .30-30, and a decent new lever gun in that caliber will cost around $450-$600, or maybe you can get it around $300 used.
    A more versatile choice would be one of the inexpensive bolt guns, such as the Ruger American, Savage Axis, Mossberg Patriot, or one of the Remington 7xx variants.
    A bolt gun will give you a more powerful cartridge, capable of picking off pests at greater range.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    What about a shotgun? Different shot for different purposes. I know you could find a shotgun under $300. Here's mine...
    attachment.php

Last edited:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Right. I don't really need high capacity and it's mostly for farm varmints like opossums, raccoons, stray dogs and cats, and groundhogs and maybe coyotes.

I'd really like a lever action 30-30 carbine but I'm not sure if I can find one in my price range.

I understand about most of those critters but why would you shoot stray dogs and cats??? How do you know they are strays? Even if they are strays, what gives you the right to shoot them? Is it normal for you to shoot someone's pet because it "trespassed" on your property?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As cheap as ARs are now, I think they would make a good truck gun. I have an AR pistol that I am going to start carrying in mine.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    When I think of a "truck gun", I picture a modern day interpretation of a saddle gun. So basically, a short, light, quick handling carbine, either in a traditional pistol caliber or a mid range rifle caliber. Something with more range, power and accuracy than your handgun.
    Problem is, most lever guns and AR'S are not going to fit into the OP'S $300 budget. I would also not want to limit myself to a single shot with smaller, quick moving, farm varmints. The High Point carbines, mentioned, seem like one likely choice.
    Possum 128, I understand your concern on stray cats and dogs. I have a small hobby farm. The way my property is situated, in relation to the neighbors, if a dog shows up on my property, 8 out of 10 times it is there for no good. I know all of my immediate neighborhood dogs. If it's not one of them, I am usually watching it's activities down a gun barrel. A dog can do far more damage to livestock than a coon or possum. Dogs will kill chickens for the fun of it. You can wait around and see if they are going to play with ten or twelve $7-8 chickens or run through the flock and kill and maim them. I am a State licensed egg producer so I make income off of my eggs.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I rocked a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 as my truck gun for a while. Compatible mags with my Glock 17. Small compact design and a good shooter. Might be closer to $400 used but it was a great option for me.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    ........ Even if they are strays, what gives you the right to shoot them? Is it normal for you to shoot someone's pet because it "trespassed" on your property?

On the flip side.... What gives someone the right to allow their animals to stray / trespass onto someone else's property and trusts that no harm will come to them?

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Not even worth an answer.

That's too bad because I'm truly interested to know your stance on the situation....

Point being is that if your living on a farm and you are suddenly dealing with stray dogs sneaking onto your property and killing your chickens, goats, etc then I would classify them as the enemy and not pets. I worked for a very rural county sheriff department as a deputy and humane law enforcement officer for 8 years and responded to many ah calls like this.

When you see a dozen dead chickens or a couple goats and a calf bleeding out from a "neighbors pet" Rottweiler and the farmer sitting there stunned... I think your stance on shooting a "stray" dog may change....

Back to your regular scheduled programming...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom