• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    I rocked a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 as my truck gun for a while. Compatible mags with my Glock 17. Small compact design and a good shooter. Might be closer to $400 used but it was a great option for me.
    The gen 2s are selling for $400 so now would be the perfect time to pick up a used gen 1 in the $300 range

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    What about a shotgun? Different shot for different purposes. I know you could find a shotgun under $300. Here's mine...
    attachment.php

Just out of curiosity what is that exactly?

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I understand about most of those critters but why would you shoot stray dogs and cats??? How do you know they are strays? Even if they are strays, what gives you the right to shoot them? Is it normal for you to shoot someone's pet because it "trespassed" on your property?

My neighbors dog routinely kills my chickens (seven this summer alone) and daughters cat. He has done the same in the past to several others neighbors. Local police have spoken to the dogs owners about it. Pet owner has been put on notice. His dog is still allowed to run free. One of these days, that dog is going to be on my property at an inopportune moment, and it will not end well for him.

You don't know his situation and he doesn't really owe anyone an explanation.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I love animals, especially dogs.... but I totally get it. Parents might have to wast a dog that has previously attacked their dogs. (Animal control/cops/dnr etc already involved...) It sucks, but you gotta protect the family!
    I say find a cheap entry level bolt gun used, or a WASR or something (high on the budget I realize). I tend to agree with you though that a lever gun would be about perfect.. I'd go used first and foremost. if its a truck gun, who cares. enjoy spending less knowing you dont need much.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    sorry to thread jack, but are you THE Redhorse (sten build how too etc)? If you are, Thanks! I've found your site more than a few times!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    sorry to thread jack, but are you THE Redhorse (sten build how too etc)? If you are, Thanks! I've found your site more than a few times!
    No, I doubt I am who you speak of. I sort of just use the avatar because it fits my handle... :shady:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have found when it comes to shots of "opportunity" you need quick access to the gun and you probably won't get far from the truck before the shot is gone. So to me grab gun, maybe use hood for rest. Don't do it off your own property or from public roads.

For me it's been a Glock or MKII from my front seat bag that sits on the floor in the center. I have thought about a Ruger take down Charger with bipod for use on the hood. Also thought about American bolt in .22 with tech sights.

My Bro bought this one, sweet with a can.
    Ruger® Ruger American Rimfire® Bolt-Action Rifle Model 8334

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    My wife got me a Savage Axis a while back that is very accurate. I also like the Mosin carbine idea. I think I paid close to $150 for mine some time back, and they are for sale @ $200 all the time now. Throw in a spam can of ammo and you're set for years... Unless it's some ultra rare numbers matching gun, who cares about a Mosin getting banged around in a truck? I would prefer a lever gun or an AR, but they are more pricy.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A marlin bolt gun in 22 magnum is underrated. It is my daughter's barn gun for varmints and I also have one in the safe. Effective up to coyotes sized critters. 13 in the tube. I have used it for prairie dogs out to 200 yards. Hits like a 9mm within its range. Quiet enough so you don't have to worry about hearing protection. I bought mine several years ago, but I think they were about $300 with a 4X scope. Ammo is about $14 for a box of 50. The biggest drawback is finding ammo. But I don't shoot mine very much. 50 rounds should last a long time.

Last edited:

Medic2464

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2015
    Greenwood
    I have a Savage Axis in .243 Its a nice gun for the price. Its light and easy to handle. Very similar to the Rugers. I would avoid the larger calibers though. I had an Axis 30-06 and it was a mule because they are so light.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have a Savage Axis in .243 Its a nice gun for the price. Its light and easy to handle. Very similar to the Rugers. I would avoid the larger calibers though. I had an Axis 30-06 and it was a mule because they are so light.
    My .308 Axis kinda was, but it shoots much better in a nice laminated Boyd's stock. Then again, now it looks too nice to be thrown behind the seat of the truck...

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    In my opinion, you can't beat the Ruger American rifles for what they go for. They are fantastic guns and very cheap. If you find someone doing a sale you may even be able to get one new at your $300 cap. As far as scoping it goes, you can get pretty decent scopes under $100. So if you're not looking to shoot more than a couple hundred yards you'll be fine on the "cheap end" of a scope. Nikon has a few choices. Hawke. Bushnell. Weaver. And more! And do yourself a favor and avoid gun stores while scope shopping..... unless you want advice while looking at them I suppose.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Something else that might be great for you is the Ruger's newer "Ranch" model for the Americans! Overall length of 36 inches! Or even one with a shorter length of pull. Caliber options of 5.56 and .300 blackout. The 5.56 would be awesome! Versatile ammo, you can get it cheap anywhere. Tons of varmint ammo options available. Link below for Ruger's website and specs on this rifle!

The Ruger American Rifle® Ranch Bolt-Action Rifle Models

Top Bottom