• ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Not even worth an answer.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the better term he should have used was "feral," which has quite a different implication from the neighbor's dog just wandering over onto your property line.
    Anyone who has studied the issue of feral dogs and cats and the huge negative impact they can cause to native wildlife will understand that.
    Also, they can and do kill landowners' domestic animals, be they livestock or their own dogs and cats.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Midwest had WASRs on sale, I believe there were underfolders. If it's a truck gun you probably want something reliable, cheap, and does not require a lot of maintenance. With it not being an SBR you have fewer laws to consider.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I understand about most of those critters but why would you shoot stray dogs and cats??? How do you know they are strays? Even if they are strays, what gives you the right to shoot them? Is it normal for you to shoot someone's pet because it "trespassed" on your property?
    When they chase our cattle, run our horses through the fence, kill our chickens, goats, and cats, and cost us money, I have every right to. It's very normal for me to defend my property from farm nusances. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When they chase our cattle, run our horses through the fence, kill our chickens, goats, and cats, and cost us money, I have every right to. It's very normal for me to defend my property from farm nusances. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute.

:+1:

You have received enough good advice that I didn't feel the need to be too serious. For what it's worth, I am building for the same purpose a .30-40 Krag carbine. I still have some work to do, but I will get it done sooner or later. My guess is that it is off center enough not to be your cup of tea, but I think it will be fun. The offset project is likely to be a Krag .410 shotgun as the case head dimensions on the .410 shotshell and the .30-40 are virtually identical such that the only work necessary should be reaming a barrel to .41 tapering to .39 for full choke and reaming the chamber appropriately.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    truck_mounted_agm.jpg
    :+1:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I would stay away from .22 caliber, as I think it will prove too small/light for your purposes. A coyote at 200 yards should be a pretty reasonable target for a .223, 30-30 or similar. A .22 would be a more difficult shot, and might not have the umph to put down a big dog. Also, while not the intended purpose, if your rifle is ever needed for 2 legged predators, it would likely need to be able to penetrate a car door.

What about an old military rifle? An enfield, mauser (Argentinian?), or Mosin would certainly fit the bill on price, and you wouldn't have to feel bad about abusing it!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Oooo, I like the mosin idea! Within your stated budget, it would be hard to beat the firepower per dollar you could get out of a mosin. They are a bit long, unless you plan on laying it across the back seat, but I thought that's what the back seat was for!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    What about a ruger American in .270? I found one for $250. It has an overall length of 42.5 inches

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What about a ruger American in .270? I found one for $250. It has an overall length of 42.5 inches

That should work nicely. If it is too lively a caliber for the weight of the gun, make that 43.5 inches with a really good recoil pad.

Medic2464

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2015
    Greenwood
    Caliber question

Since you mentioned coyotes as one of the varmints, a .22 rimfire wouldn't really be suitable, so you'll want something in the .223 or up category, or one of the pistol caliber carbines already suggested, preferably the .40 or up.
    You really don't need anything as powerful as .30-30, and a decent new lever gun in that caliber will cost around $450-$600, or maybe you can get it around $300 used.
    A more versatile choice would be one of the inexpensive bolt guns, such as the Ruger American, Savage Axis, Mossberg Patriot, or one of the Remington 7xx variants.
    A bolt gun will give you a more powerful cartridge, capable of picking off pests at greater range.

Is it legal to dispatch varmints with a rifle caliber (like a .243 .270 30-30 etc...) in Indiana? I only ask because you apparently cant shoot a deer with it. Or do the same rules apply to varmints, pistol caliber etc...?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Is it legal to dispatch varmints with a rifle caliber (like a .243 .270 30-30 etc...) in Indiana? I only ask because you apparently cant shoot a deer with it. Or do the same rules apply to varmints, pistol caliber etc...?

You can shoot varmits with whatever caliber you please in Indiana. Our silly regulations seem limited only to deer hunting.

And what about a M44 Mosin? Cheap, short, reliable, ammo is very inexpensive, and comes with a built in bayonet,just in case you ever are charged by cavalry.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    You can shoot varmits with whatever caliber you please in Indiana. Our silly regulations seem limited only to deer hunting.

And what about a M44 Mosin? Cheap, short, reliable, ammo is very inexpensive, and comes with a built in bayonet,just in case you ever are charged by cavalry.
    I've thought of one, but I'm kinda drawn towards that ruger at $250. I like American made (bias mostly). What do you think?

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    You might consider a SKS. 7.62x39. Sorta midrange semi auto in your price range. Certainly not american but very capable. Plus I think you still get a bayonet for the ones that charge at you.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've thought of one, but I'm kinda drawn towards that ruger at $250. I like American made (bias mostly). What do you think?

I don't know about anyone else, but the Ruger sounds good in my reckoning, especially given the price. I would expect the M44 to kick like a pissed off mule. The Mosin would enjoy a leg up in indestructibility, but then again, you aren't going to be abusing any gun like a grunt in the Red Army.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Cant go wrong with the ruger! I agree with an sks, though I'd slap a decent scope on it (bushnell banner is like $70-80), but that might run you over your budget.
    Well i could get the scope with it too if I paid $350 but I'd rather not have it because it'd be too bulky in my single cab truck. Plus id probably hair break it on accident.

Top Bottom