• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I prefer to have the defensive device on my person rather than in the vehicle. If I was running a SWAT team, I could see using the TruckVault; but me, just running around town, there is no need for it.

I use different vehicles based on what I am transporting—grandkids, mulch, or just me. Can't put a truck gun in each vehicle. Again, on-person carry makes more sense. Use the EDC to get back to the transport and get out of Dodge. Back at the house, when the real dance begins, open up the safe, lay out the defensive items at strategic, accessible locations, and hunker down until the excitement is over.

I don't see the truck gun as beneficial in those scenarios.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My truck gun is an AK pistol. Small, concealable if need be, packs a punch. I have zero worries about exposure to the elements. I keep it locked in a lockbox that I installed for the sole purpose of keeping a truck gun secure. If you get the right lockbox you can keep a pack and all your bug out/get home safely secured in there as well.

I used to work across town and had to travel through some not so nice neighborhoods. My AK (and kit) was in there just in case there were some "peaceful protesters" blocking the roadways and I had to hoof it home. It was also there so whenever I'd travel longer distances I always had something with me that was SHTF-worthy.

The idea of a truck gun makes a lot of sense. If you can carry a long gun, why would you not carry a long gun?
    i have a bumper for peaceful protestors blocking roads. And a lift on it so they don't get caught up on my undercarriage.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Cant be! How many guns could have been stolen from cars recently BBI? It cant be much! (cue your Denny Impression)

More times that S has HTF. 256 Sport & Garden (the local gun store east of the town) has been burglarized via a car backed through the front at least twice. I doubt the pills/meth/whoring has slowed down any, and with that comes theft.

If I were going to bother with a "truck gun" or whatever in Austin, I'd do the covert carry thing mentioned with the tennis racket bag or something and take it in and out with me every night. Your odds of feeding a pill addiction with a pawned stolen gun are way more than your odds of finding yourself in a situation a long gun works and a handgun doesn't.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    If you can carry a long gun, why would you not carry a long gun?

Quoted for truth !

However, I never stop anywhere that I can't keep a line of sight on my truck. And I also remove the weapon at night. In addition to an EDC, like MohawkSlim said, why not ?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Your drum brakes tell me that decal didn't come on the car from the factory.
    Good eye! It was a b16 swap/gsr tranny car. To the untrained eye, the mildly different front bumper and (I believe rear discs) were the only real difference between my car and a 99-00 Si. Not a big sticker guy, but I thought it was cool at the time. While not stock, the wheels were only mildly nicer and definitely not worth stealing -btw, I had locking lug nuts too. The car was in what was a decent apartment complex by Castleton. Literally 15 feet from my first floor bedroom window.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I like the idea of a long gun in a vehicle "just because", I've been broke into 3 times in my life, all of which nowhere considered a rough neighborhood. I don't drive anything too flashy either (97 civic twice, 98 Tacoma once). I had a stereo yanked out of the civic once, put an alarm in it, and they yanked my wheels post alarm installation. The people who got in the truck got about 4$ in pennies. That makes me not keep anything in a vehicle I don't mind walking... I'd get a discrete carry case and carry my "tennis racket" around with me when I thought I'd want it. That might sound paranoid of thieves, but that's my experience..

With the upswing in car break ins and vandalism there have been multiple guns stolen in the last week or so.
    If you have a gun in your car take the damn thing inside at night.
    One idiot said his wife did not want the gun in the house...........Well, how did that work out for you genius. Time for a new wife me thinks.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The only time I have a long gun with me is going shooting, going hunting or on a several hour trip. I figure if I can get to my vehicle locally, I need to be leaving where ever it is that I am at.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I used to keep an old 870 wingmaster police riotgun in the trunk of my car. What I did was buy a used locking mount out of a police car and mounted it securely on the underside of the trunk roof. I then wired it into the remote trunklid release circuit. This accomplished a couple of things. For one, the gun was not visible unless you stuck your head into the truck and looked up. Two, you had to push the gun up to take the tension off the lock pin and then hit the trunk release remote before it would come free.

Between it being locked in an alarmed trunk, invisible unless you were looking for it, and then locked in a police shotgun rack I was comfortable leaving it in the car most of the time.

I got the idea from these photos, but upped the ante by installing the police lock and mounting it further forward so that it was truly not visible from the outside. The Gun Zone -- Well Armed Mercedes

I have since sold that car and no longer have that option so I don't leave guns in the car.

Last edited:

Brycefowler922

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Austin
    I think I'm just going to go with a gun rack. I live out in the country so I am not worried about anyone seeing me bring my rifle to the truck. Just have to make sure it has some sort of lock for when I'm out

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    One small recommendation: most long guns are not drop safe. Keep the chamber empty. Plz. K. Thx.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    i have a bumper for peaceful protestors blocking roads. And a lift on it so they don't get caught up on my undercarriage.
    That's fine when you're the first vehicle in line and get to freedom your way through the peaceful protest. But, most sheep will stop because the car in front of them stopped and before you even approach the scene you're blocked in. Your big ol' monster truck doesn't do much good when you're boxed in by Civics and Corollas.

The trunk gun isn't necessarily for defending the vehicle. It's for the times when the vehicle must be left behind.

The only time I have a long gun with me is going shooting, going hunting or on a several hour trip. I figure if I can get to my vehicle locally, I need to be leaving where ever it is that I am at.
    I like having a long gun in my vehicle for active shooter situations at work. Since I know my employer isn't providing armed security for me (and the signs probably aren't going to stop the active shooter) I like knowing I'm only a 30 second jog from an AK-47. Run, hide, fight is cute and all but AK-47 in the hand is a warm fuzzy feeling for me.

This also applies to dinner at a restaurant, a movie theater, grocery shopping, etc. Granted, if I can reach my vehicle I'll probably do my best to unass the area and put as much distance between me and a shooter as possible but, again, that warm fuzzy feeling of, "You're shooting in my general direction and now I'm holding an AK-47" is something that is hard to put into words.

I've switched jobs so now I carry a sidearm AND have long guns around so I feel much less need for an AK-47 in the trunk but it's still warm and fuzzy to know it's there.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I used to keep an old 870 wingmaster police riotgun in the trunk of my car. What I did was buy a used locking mount out of a police car and mounted it securely on the underside of the trunk roof. I then wired it into the remote trunklid release circuit. This accomplished a couple of things. For one, the gun was not visible unless you stuck your head into the truck and looked up. Two, you had to push the gun up to take the tension off the lock pin and then hit the trunk release remote before it would come free.

Between it being locked in an alarmed trunk, invisible unless you were looking for it, and then locked in a police shotgun rack I was comfortable leaving it in the car most of the time.

I got the idea from these photos, but upped the ante by installing the police lock and mounting it further forward so that it was truly not visible from the outside. The Gun Zone -- Well Armed Mercedes

I have since sold that car and no longer have that option so I don't leave guns in the car.

Now that is an awesome idea, I am going to have to look into doing that. I have an old 1998 Dakota 4wd but my daily driver is an older early 2000's era Jaguar with AWD and about 240 hp. It is surprisingly capable in mud, snow, rain, ect... plus it is damned fast. Body is not perfect, the woman who owned it before only put 45k miles on it but sadly should not have been driving the last 6 months of so of her life. All four corners have a bit of damage from her hitting the garage opening on her way in or out. So I really don't care if a protester puts another dent or paint scrape on a fender should the worst happen.

Usually on a road trip I put my Sub2k and Stevens 620 breakdown shotgun in my old military tool bag and carry it in and out, but I like the idea of mounting something like an old shotgun or SKS in the trunk like that.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I like having a long gun in my vehicle for active shooter situations at work. Since I know my employer isn't providing armed security for me (and the signs probably aren't going to stop the active shooter) I like knowing I'm only a 30 second jog from an AK-47. Run, hide, fight is cute and all but AK-47 in the hand is a warm fuzzy feeling for me.

Not sure I'd want to be hanging around an active shooter scene with an AK when the cops arrive. Seems like the kind of thing that might make you go from warm and fuzzy to room temperature and fuzzy, depending on what info the cops have when they get there.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    No one parks their trucks in the garage?

I do and seems how I have another M4 in the house I never take it inside unless it is going it to be lubed or swapping vehicles, I through a black jacket over it if stopping somewhere in town.

Life's a risk, the people that are so scared of their vehicle being broken into are the same ones that will arrive athome to find all their guns stolen, I figure this at least spreads my weapons out and gives me a better chance.

Where I work there is zero chance of my vehicle being broken into so no worries there.

Live a little people, if you live/work/shop somewhere that is that ****ty then change your life and get out of the slums.

Top Bottom