Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of sites, when initially joined, have a standard message in their inbox first thing, directing to rules and or spelling them out. Wonder if INGO does that currently?

Seems like a lot of new members are joining and somehow missing the particulars?

And of course, "we" must use the new folks, who are just asking questions, as sport? Similarly, we treat "runners" as one's to speak down to for just attempting what seems obvious to them? :rolleyes:

:scratch:

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I think all of this " Confusion " can be attributed to " Selective Reading " .
    Not sure what screen a new member sees for the first time after joining , but if you open the first forum heading that welcomes the new guy , you should see "The Forum Rules - Please Read before posting " Rules for the classifieds are found there. and clearly explains the process .
    If you choose to go directly to the Marketplace/Classified Forum , you will see in 2 locations what is required to participate .

Screenshot (1429).png

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I think all of this " Confusion " can be attributed to " Selective Reading " .
    Not sure what screen a new member sees for the first time after joining , but if you open the first forum heading that welcomes the new guy , you should see "The Forum Rules - Please Read before posting " Rules for the classifieds are found there. and clearly explains the process .
    If you choose to go directly to the Marketplace/Classified Forum , you will see in 2 locations what is required to participate .

View attachment 323322
    that is just way too hard. READ? Are you insane? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Scraper. As in "screen scraper".

Its a site that aggregates (scrapes) content from multiple sites into one and displays that external content in one place.
    So I setup gunsforsale(dot)com. I build an API that crawls buds guns, ingo, armslist, etc and adds those listings to my website.
    I do search engine optimization to drive my site to the top of the search results.

Ingoer Bubba posts his Glock 19 for sale here.
    You search for "glock 19 for sale"
    Google returns the link on my website.
    You go to my website and part of my page includes ads surrounding Bubba's INGO listing. (thats where I make my money)
    You see the glock for sale and click it, which brings you to Bubba's glock for sale here.

Make sense?
    Yes. I had no idea people were up to such things.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Classifieds
    The Sites may have a classified ads section. We do not recommend online payments for transactions due to possible scams or issues. Anyone accessing and using the classifieds does so at their own risk physically or financially. If anyone has any issues with a classified ad, please report the issue to a mod/admin immediately.

Only thing I found about the classifieds in the first link provided a couple posts ago.

Could have sworn the rules were there at some point years ago.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Here's some rulz. . .

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Eh...on a phone right now. Too much trouble.
    I think what a new user sees is the text imbedded here in this post.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Whatever the check box is for when you sign up really doesn't matter. If it's not checked, you don't get to advance ... much like the TOS for anything you sign up to use.

So, what's the point of reading anything? Either you check the box or you don't move forward and get to use the service.

Why not just send an email to all new members with the same diatribe that the Mods use every time this sort of question is asked or when they encounter a runner? Same result as a check box … just ignore it the email. Better yet, they claim it never arrived.

The only time people have to read the rules is when they can't get what they want, then ask a question, and are then referred back to the rules to read. Even then, I suspect they still don’t read the rules … maybe give them a quick glance, but never really read them. However, there is no more check box to advance ... read and comply or move along. Sometimes forcibly moved along which is generally humorous for INGO members, but super aggravating for the Mods.

Such is life in our modern world.
    Maybe we ought to make a new user pass a test on the rules before we let them join. :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom