• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Not so much personal as out in the open.

Well, that kinda depends on Russia's proof. Smuggling is a way of life almost everywhere, in one form or another. There is little doubt that Daesh oil is smuggled into Turkey, Syria, Iran, Iraq and probably elsewhere.

But with the most recent comments, Russia is hanging it specifically onto Erdogan and his family. They are not only calling him out as a political leader, but as a man.

That is not de-escalation. haha

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    By the way, this idea of Turkey blockading the Black Sea is demonstrably false.

The AIS system is publicly accessible:
    Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions | AIS Marine Traffic

I just checked and it looks like there's an Italian flagged vessel traveling through the Bosphorus now. Other non-Turkey flagged vessels appear to be transiting, too.

In other news, Al Jazeera has a somewhat interesting take:
    Turkey-Russia: The inevitable clash of the titans - Al Jazeera English

Despite the personal and political similarities of the two presidents, there is one key difference that may suggest that it is the Turkish side that will back down first. The difference stems from the distinct division between the Turkish and Russian cases.
    More specifically, Turkey has a much deeper and more durable institutional system. Unlike Putin in Russia, whose institutions are significantly weaker and much more subordinate to the individual president, Erdogan has never been able to fully control or contain the inherent power of Turkish institutions.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Ah, but Islam is unified? Erm. Then we have to explain why all the "refugees" haven't been taken into neighboring Islamic countries.

I was being *somewhat* tongue in cheek about an Orthodox union, but I am betting they would be more resolute than the effete WEURans in facing threats from terrorism.

I agree with your assessment. And it is because a lot of the Orthodox countries lived under the Ottoman calipahte and know what life was like under the Sultans.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Putin: Turkey 'will regret' downing Russian bomber in Syria - BBC News
    In a state of the nation speech, broadcast live on Russian television, he said that "if anyone thinks Russia's reaction will be limited to trade sanctions, they are deeply mistaken".
    "We'll remind them again what they did - they will regret it."

And it'll be interesting when Putin talks about "regime change." Looks like he's building up to it....
    Mr Putin scorned them, saying "probably Allah alone knows why they did it.
    "And evidently Allah decided to punish the ruling clique in Turkey, by depriving it of any reason or logic."
    He said he was making a clear distinction between the Turkish leadership and Russia's "many longstanding and reliable friends in Turkey".

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I heard it got repainted in loud colors, the crew dressed in tie dye shirts, and the munitions replaced with canisters full of MJ, and then sent home.

It's kinda funny / sad that the blood lust comes out for 17 seconds in Turkey but a ruskie jet flys around the left coast for a few hours and not a peep out of anyone .

I guess it's cause they didn't see it on cnn / fox so it must not have happened . :dunno:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It's kinda funny / sad that the blood lust comes out for 17 seconds in Turkey but a ruskie jet flys around the left coast for a few hours and not a peep out of anyone .

I guess it's cause they didn't see it on cnn / fox so it must not have happened . :dunno:

First, I hadn't actually heard mention of it until reading your previous post, and then wasn't sure if it was serious or you were just having a bit of fun with the idea, but it did open the door for me to be a wise ass. Seriously, you have a good point, especially considering that the Russkie at the Turkish border was in an active war zone that everyone knows is an active war zone, where California is not, unless of course we consider their 'war' against the republic as domestic enemies. Then again, perhaps it's the influence of Obama being more concerned with his own than with us.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, they just had a couple of Bears out circling Guam too...Putin's been a poking at us for a while but he knows the level of opposition he's going to get from Mr. hide behind something and lead from behind.

Nothing but a distraction like 'let's put chicks in combat arms and yes your daughters are going to have to sign up for selective service too'. See, war is just so scary that we can't ever justify going there (unless you're a conservative), revolution too I guess.

When in the course of human events...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Do you have more information on this? I could not find anything reliable in a quick google search.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    ICYMI over the weekend, there was a dustup over this:
    manpad-russians-575x524.jpg

Russian sailor on a Russian warship carrying a MANPAD (MAN Portable Air Defense missile) through the Bosphorus. :) Seems a bit cheeky, but reasonable, from the Russian side.

Turkey took it seriously and sent a harshly worded letter. That response counts as more of an escalation to me than the missile itself. Turkey should've just ignored it. Except it went "viral" on social media.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Do you have more information on this? I could not find anything reliable in a quick google search.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything on this either, but apparently some guys don't see the difference between flying near a country vs flying into it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Turkey took it seriously and sent a harshly worded letter. That response counts as more of an escalation to me than the missile itself. Turkey should've just ignored it. Except it went "viral" on social media.

Well, now Turkey is calling the Russian ambassador for a sit down.
    Turkey summons Russian ambassador over missile launcher - BBC News

Turkey has summoned the Russian ambassador after a serviceman on a Russian naval ship allegedly brandished a rocket launcher while the vessel passed through Istanbul at the weekend.

That could be an interesting conversation.

Russian ambassador: "Let me get this straight. You admit to shooting down one of our planes, one of our pilots died, and another soldier was killed in the rescue attempt. And now you're pissed off that one of our sailors on a military ship was on deck with a military weapon? Seriously? You're just making this up, right?"

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Why would a naval vessel need a man portable SAM?
    The SAMs on the ship defective?

That boat is from the late 80s. That MANPAD, a Strela-2 (or upgrade), is the primary anti-air weapon for that ship. :) It is primarily a landing support ship.

Top Bottom