• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    It seems to me that any discharge accident must come from neglecting to follow the safety steps each and every time you handle the gun for disassembly. This must also include leaving the gun unattended for any period of time after you complete the safety procedure, then return. i.e. after some unforeseen sudden emergency or just leaving the room to fix yourself another double scotch...

In the middle of cleaning your guns...is the perfect time to have a double scotch!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So interchange the word Glock with the word firearm and you've got a good article. I don't see what the brand of gun has to do with this, unless you want it to go bang, check for an empty chamber before you pull the trigger on any gun.

I agree. But as the point centered around field stripping, why not mention, probably, the most common gun that requires you to pull the trigger to field strip?

Glock people sure seem sensitive.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've always been dumbfounded at the idea of people hurting themselves or others while cleaning their guns. I do not mean this flippantly at all, just that I have sincerely struggled to believe things happen. This makes a little more sense to me now. I had just never considered that the SA style gun could lend itself to accidents because it was ingrained in me that you always check the chamber for a round. Period.

Even so, I've been told that most "cleaning related deaths" were actually a popularized euphemism for suicide that began in the LEO community to protect loved ones from embarrassment of such a passing. Is this true or are there really a lot more deaths caused by doing something stupid while cleaning a gun than I would think?

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    As each one of us gets older, we tend to make mistakes. However, if you're to the point of not checking the guns chamber to make sure it's not loaded, then maybe you should rethink gun ownership. Complacency, and mistakes usually come from distraction and inexperience.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As each one of us gets older, we tend to make mistakes. However, if you're to the point of not checking the guns chamber to make sure it's not loaded, then maybe you should rethink gun ownership. Complacency, and mistakes usually come from distraction and inexperience.

I think it's cool that I have to highlight the words to read them. It's like being part of a really, really low key secret society.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    No Glock bashing here :).. I'm a Glock armorer and I don't think there is a more reliable pistol on the planet.. My "bashing" was directed at a guy making a vid complaining about his dislike of Glocks because someone didn't follow the most basic safety rules before dis-assembly. In our current world it seems it's always someone (or something) else's fault when things when things go south:).. I also teach NRA basic pistol courses and the one deviation I make in the book is when it discusses accidental discharges. Negligent discharges are the only kind I've ever been aware of. :) I know it's possible for a firearm to discharge accidentally but I have never personally see evidence of that happening without some sort of human intervention.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor
    Certified Glock armorer—GSSF Member

1911, M&P & Ruger MK III Mechanic

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've been told that loaded mags left loaded for extended periods of time will fatigue the mag spring and eventually need to be replaced for that reason.

Frequent cycling of the magazine(loading and unloading) will wear out a mag spring faster than leaving the mag loaded at all times.

Approx. ¥6.2 is the current price of a dozen eggs in China.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    As best I can gather from the episode where the guy shot himself through the hand with a Glock .45 (G30,) the picture in the OP, he not only did not check for empty but, also, used a suspect method for disassembly. Instead of holding the slide back slightly using the rear sight and pulling the tabs with the other hand, he pushed slide back by putting his hand over the muzzle pushing the tabs down with the same hand. At the same time, he pulled the trigger. Blam! Major self-inflicted gunshot wound to his hand. Further, that victim went on to state that the only mistake he made was not checking for empty (he had checked it before he and his wife watched a movie.) He did not see putting his hand over the muzzle and pulling the trigger as a safety violation! Geez!

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    This just in, all 1911 owners need to be careful not to put the effing hands in front of the barrel and pull the trigger, ONLY 1911 owners though.. LOLOL

Theres a reason why the 4 rules supersede brand or type.
    Its a firearm, use your HEAD!!!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not a problem with 1911s. 1911 owners are used to following a process, such as sweeping the thumb safety on draw. It's those pesky Glocks that mess with folks. The same people that claim they need a Glock because they can't remember how to use a safety are also apparently unable to remember the 4 rules of gun safety.

In all seriousness, every proper person has the right to own a gun for their defense. That includes the morons of the world too and all too often, those morons choose a Glock because it's simple. Everything about a Glock is simple except for the process to take it down. Get one part backwards and you WILL have a ND. Unfortunately, morons some times get steps backwards.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The appropriate response to the video is "Thanks for the reminder". Singing in the he's-stupid-but-I'm-not choir does not exempt you from doing the same thing. Before he made that mistake, he was probably singing right along with you!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There but for the grace of God, go I... I am plenty well aware that I am as capable as any for moments of idiocy. My point was not to call the guy with the mangled hand a moron, but to simply say that there are folks that have a history of not thinking things through and that the original article was maybe directed at them. I should have said that we are all capable of moronic behavior from time to time. Being an idiot and shaking a bottle we forgot to cap is easy to get past. Idiocy with firearms can leave a much more lasting impact.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Not a problem with 1911s. 1911 owners are used to following a process, such as sweeping the thumb safety on draw. It's those pesky Glocks that mess with folks. The same people that claim they need a Glock because they can't remember how to use a safety are also apparently unable to remember the 4 rules of gun safety.

In all seriousness, every proper person has the right to own a gun for their defense. That includes the morons of the world too and all too often, those morons choose a Glock because it's simple. Everything about a Glock is simple except for the process to take it down. Get one part backwards and you WILL have a ND. Unfortunately, morons some times get steps backwards.

NO ONE who handles firearms should not be familiar with the process of the 4 steps, is my point.

Top Bottom