• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Assuming you would only use a pistol in a situation when you are in fear of your life...

I don't think the style of handgun is going to matter much. At "inside a car" distances, I'd expect you to be able to hit whatever you can point at. If you're left handed, that's more back seat than if you're right handed. So I'd suggest practicing with your left hand will be a bigger component of success than choice of manufacturer.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Not yet, I know I will want a small one to carry and keep in my car while driving. I'm certainly open to suggestions, but I will want to fire some for myself before I make a final purchase.

You will find that smaller is easier to conceal, but more difficult to control the recoil. Trying several different makes / models will do you well, but consider starting with a 9mm. When you can perform well under pressure with a firearm that fits you well, then consider changing calibers / types of firearms.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For those recommending AIWB, try something for me. Go sit in your driver's seat. Draw and "shoot" an imaginary person sitting behind you, or even worse sitting behind you and to your right. Probably holding the gun upside down right next to your ear, and having difficulty angling it very much to the right, aren't you? This is one of the rare freak occurrences were lefties have an advantage. You knew being wrong handed would have to pay off sometime. Solely in the realm of taxi drivers, a crossdraw with the left hand so that you can pull and shoot behind/right of you immediately may be the best option. Given that you're likely to be using an unorthodox grip and using your weak hand (unless you're a freak of nature lefty), a revolver may be a better option as well. No slide to catch upholstery, no chance of limp wristing, and since you're almost certainly going to be using point shooting at those distances, fixed rear sights, a DAO hammer, and a smooth front sight for less chance of snagging would be where I'd look. Maybe an LCR?

I've yet to have an Uber driver robbed, but have had a ton of taxi robberies over the years. I would suggest a blade and knowing how to use it. Taxi robberies often start with a choke, and a blade opening their forearm will likely convince them to not choke you any longer. Armed robberies have started with knife to the throat or gun pointed at the head. That's a tough situation to beat when you're trapped and seat belted in, likely facing away from your attacker, and possibly outnumbered. Compliance is probably going to be the best option, but you need to read the situation and make that decision on the fly. The one taxi driver I've had successfully resist a robbery without injury was a freaking machine of a man. A much smaller, someone inebriated, suspect pulled a knife on him and demanded his money. The taxi driver turned and instead of handing him cash, punched him in the nose so hard it broke his nose and KO'd him. Uniformed cops got there and didn't even cuff the guy until EMS got there because he was laying spread eagle next to the rear passenger side of the cab and didn't look like he was going anywhere for a bit. If you're really strong and know how to throw a good punch with your left hand, that can be a viable option.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Just an FYI. I'D TAKE DOWN YOUR PERSONAL INFO. I'm not sure how many people that are named josh who live where you live and work where you work. I'm sure they could find that info out pretty quick if there was any sore of application for Uber. A company like that definitely has people who are dedicated to finding posts like this! Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Lots of rentals and classes at Parabellum in Avon.. Coach and I instruct 2 classes specifically geared toward concealed carry situations along with our intro pistol classes.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Glock Armorer-M&P Armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Re: Carrying position
    I write left-handed, but I do most things with my right hand. While in my car, I plan to carry in a holster clipped onto the driver's door. At other times, I plan to carry concealed in an armpit holster (jacket/coat) or ankle most of the time. At least this will probably be what I try first and see how it feels. I will adjust if I need once I am more experienced and comfortable.

Re: Training/Safety
    I absolutely plan to take safety and training classes with my wife. I want to make sure that I'm not being a liability to myself or others in the process. A knife and/or pepper spray aren't out of the question, but a handgun is certainly part of the plan.

Re: Personal info
    I'm honestly not concerned about Uber retaliating against me. If they want to deactivate me as a driver for taking steps to ensure my personal safety, that's fine. It's just a part-time gig and my safety is more important than $150/week.

Thank you all for the good information and tips. I really appreciate it.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Lots of rentals and classes at Parabellum in Avon.. Coach and I instruct 2 classes specifically geared toward concealed carry situations along with our intro pistol classes.
    I tried to message you directly, but I don't have the required number of posts, yet. I guess I can just ask you here...

Avon is quite close to my home and my wife and I would be interested in taking some classes. I just so happen to own a computer repair business that I operate out of my home. I have several small business clients that I have worked with on barter. In fact, I got my German Shepherd pup from a breeder in Mooresville through barter. Would you be willing to offer some training classes in exchange for some computer/tech services?

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Re: Carrying position
    I write left-handed, but I do most things with my right hand. While in my car, I plan to carry in a holster clipped onto the driver's door. At other times, I plan to carry concealed in an armpit holster (jacket/coat) or ankle most of the time. At least this will probably be what I try first and see how it feels. I will adjust if I need once I am more experienced and comfortable.

Re: Training/Safety
    I absolutely plan to take safety and training classes with my wife. I want to make sure that I'm not being a liability to myself or others in the process. A knife and/or pepper spray aren't out of the question, but a handgun is certainly part of the plan.

Re: Personal info
    I'm honestly not concerned about Uber retaliating against me. If they want to deactivate me as a driver for taking steps to ensure my personal safety, that's fine. It's just a part-time gig and my safety is more important than $150/week.

Thank you all for the good information and tips. I really appreciate it.

Shoulder holster is ok for driving. Ankle holster is ok if you see trouble approaching, but if trouble is in your car it might as well be on the moon as on your ankle. I would still suggest pairing it with a blade. I'm not usually that hip on knives over firearms, but in this case I see a real benefit.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Shoulder holster is ok for driving. Ankle holster is ok if you see trouble approaching, but if trouble is in your car it might as well be on the moon as on your ankle. I would still suggest pairing it with a blade. I'm not usually that hip on knives over firearms, but in this case I see a real benefit.
    While in my vehicle, I plan to keep it in a holster clipped to my driver's door pocket--near my left thigh or knee. I wouldn't carry on my ankle while driving. I feel like my preferred place to carry concealed would be on my shoulder when it makes sense such as wearing a jacket or coat. In warmer weather, I think I would prefer to carry concealed on my ankle. When I'm wearing shorts, I'm not sure where I would carry concealed, but I don't have to worry about that for at least another 6 months. ;-)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I suspect that discharging a firearm under those conditions is no picnic either. Never have fired a gun inside a vehicle, moving or otherwise, so this is just a guess. But I think it's a pretty good guess.

the noise would stun everyone, is my guess.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned an under the dash mounted holster or something similar. With the right equipment you can mount a holster to wherever is easily accessible to you, door and dash panels are just plastic and if need be, can easily be drilled/cut to fabricate holding a holster to best suit you. I have tried drawing from many positions while within a vehicle... none are as fast or as easily as I would like them to be. While it may not be the best holster, something like this http://www.amazon.com/Gum-Creek-GCC...id=1446735899&sr=8-1&keywords=vehicle+holster or a kydex holster with 2 clips that I can fit to my door panel's pocket would be the ideal way to carry if I were to put myself in your situation.

After reading the thread however, I'd have to agree with BBI's... I think a blade would better serve you in such a tight situation.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    You won't have to worry about what gun or how to carry while driving for uber if you don't remove your personal info from your about me page! As I mentioned this morning.....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned an under the dash mounted holster or something similar. With the right equipment you can mount a holster to wherever is easily accessible to you, door and dash panels are just plastic and if need be, can easily be drilled/cut to fabricate holding a holster to best suit you. I have tried drawing from many positions while within a vehicle... none are as fast or as easily as I would like them to be. While it may not be the best holster, something like this http://www.amazon.com/Gum-Creek-GCC...id=1446735899&sr=8-1&keywords=vehicle+holster or a kydex holster with 2 clips that I can fit to my door panel's pocket would be the ideal way to carry if I were to put myself in your situation.

After reading the thread however, I'd have to agree with BBI's... I think a blade would better serve you in such a tight situation.

For repelling a carjacking, those are a good idea. Let's remember the context he's worried about here, though, and attack from inside the car. If the attack starts with restraining you around the neck and pinning you to the headrest, can you still reach that concealed off body carry under the steering wheel? Will it be obvious you are going for a weapon?

Crossdraw for a left handed draw would look an awful lot like trying to get your seatbelt off when you were pulling.

Top Bottom