• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I'm really surprised nobody has mentioned an under the dash mounted holster or something similar.
    I want to keep my handgun out of site as much as possible while still having access to it while sitting in the driver's seat. A holster under the steering wheel or near the middle console would be too easily visible to a passenger sitting in my car while a holster under the seat or in the center console would be too difficult to get to if something were to happen in the car.

After reading the thread however, I'd have to agree with BBI's... I think a blade would better serve you in such a tight situation.
    I wouldn't disagree with that sentiment and I'm sure I will be looking into having a knife handy as well as a handgun. For now, I'm focusing on what to do about that piece of the puzzle.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    You won't have to worry about what gun or how to carry while driving for uber if you don't remove your personal info from your about me page! As I mentioned this morning.....
    I do thank you for the concern and tip, however I'm not really concerned about Uber deactivating me as a driver. For one, I don't have a LTCH, own a firearm or carry one with me while driving for Uber. I haven't done anything wrong, so I don't see the harm in it. If/When I do carry one while driving, it's only going to be an issue if a passenger tells Uber about it because either I tell them I have one (that's not going to happen) or they see it, which is why I'm making sure that it's concealed while driving. If someone from Uber DOES go through all of the trouble to find my posts on this forum, determine that I am carrying a handgun and then deactivate me, more power to 'em. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I, personally, don't care for "off body" carry. Too easy to lose control of the tool, and too easy to be away from it when needed.

I agree with that generally while wandering around, but this is a specific situation that might be an exception. He will always be within reach of it and have control. Most forms of on-body carry will actually be a detriment while in the drivers seat.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Sorry man. Only trying to help, I wasn't trying to be an A$$ about it. I'm just thinking about your personal safety. Which is a lot of gun ownership. Protecting you and someone you love from unneeded risk. It took 2 seconds to find out your full name and find you on Facebook. Just looking out for you man!

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Sorry man. Only trying to help, I wasn't trying to be an A$$ about it. I'm just thinking about your personal safety. Which is a lot of gun ownership. Protecting you and someone you love from unneeded risk. It took 2 seconds to find out your full name and find you on Facebook. Just looking out for you man!
    I sincerely appreciate it. I didn't think you were being obnoxious about it at all! Being in the IT industry, I am pretty aware of internet security/privacy issues. It may sound counter-intuitive, but I don't mind if someone knows my name. Josh is a pretty common one. Even if you did find me on FB, my profile and posts are private.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I agree with that generally while wandering around, but this is a specific situation that might be an exception. He will always be within reach of it and have control. Most forms of on-body carry will actually be a detriment while in the drivers seat.
    If he gets out for any reason (gas station, helping someone in/out of the back seat, potty break), it will be out of reach. Or, he will have to un/re-holster repeatedly. If grappling with an attacker in the back seat, the weapon may also be well out of reach (under dash, for instance). It will be in reach only so long as he stays properly seated in the driver's seat.

Do any of our force-on-force instructors do in-car and/or carjacking scenarios?

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    If he gets out for any reason (gas station, helping someone in/out of the back seat, potty break), it will be out of reach. Or, he will have to un/re-holster repeatedly.
    I plan to un/re-holster if I need to get out of my vehicle while driving for Uber, which is pretty rare. Ideally, I would slip it out of the door holster and put it in my shoulder or ankle holster before I open the car door. At least that's what I envision right now.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I sincerely appreciate it. I didn't think you were being obnoxious about it at all! Being in the IT industry, I am pretty aware of internet security/privacy issues. It may sound counter-intuitive, but I don't mind if someone knows my name. Josh is a pretty common one. Even if you did find me on FB, my profile and posts are private.

If someone finds out where you live and that you own guns you become a target for a criminal.

If you notice I've been leaving out info on these posts. Like your full name was. Josh is a pretty common name, but your last name isn't that common. Your Facebook might be set to private, but that doesn't mean someone couldn't see you have a family or find out your address. Btw you live on a Blvd.

Be smart! Criminals don't need help!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If you are a correct handed person you could just get a car imported from England and have all the benefits of a lefty. Write it off as a tax deduction since it was bought for your uber business. Another option is to drive like the mail man. Just tell your fare you are a mail man by day and are used to driving that way.

Kidding aside, if you are an it guy it should be easy to mount a camera in your car, have it usb port to your phone and tell them it streams real time via your phone to another site. ...whether it does or not.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    As for shoulder holsters, I suggest High Noon Holsters. They have one that's semi-generic and in stock called Under Armor that is fairly inexpensive, about $100. I use one daily for my CZ97, which ain't no lightweight. My complete set-up: pistol, shoulder rig, 2 extra mags and folding knife attached to the shoulder strap, weighs in at 6 lbs. It is actually very comfortable. I'm sure that something for a smaller gun, like a S&W 442 would almost disappear. They also make one called Under Taker that's custom molded to your choice of weapon but costs twice as much.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Btw you live on a Blvd.
    You're starting to sound like a stalker now. :shady::): Has anyone here ever had an issue with being targeted because they are on this site?

And if someone did come to my house to find my gun, they would be met with cars parked in the garage, locked doors and windows, a monitored/active alarm system, an obnoxious barking dog and a 95lb German Shepherd being trained in personal protection in addition to gun carrying homeowner. I think that would make for a very bad day...

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I thought about your situation as I was driving.

The only time your going to need a gun is when you REALLY need it. Like if someone is holding you at gun point... Right? they are going to make you keep your hands on the wheel. So if your in that spot and are left handed the best place to have your gun should be under the steering wheel or to the bottom left of the steering wheel. You'd be able to, without alerting the perp, reach for your gun with your left hand if your making a left hand turn.

I'd go semi auto pistol. Like Glock or m&p. Because a revolver can stopped if the perp grabs and keeps the cylinder from rotating. A semi auto will still fire even if they are gripping the gun. As close as that will be to you then grabbing your gun become a real possibility.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Kidding aside, if you are an it guy it should be easy to mount a camera in your car, have it usb port to your phone and tell them it streams real time via your phone to another site. ...whether it does or not.
    Easy? Yes. Cheap? Not exactly.

When I drive for Uber, I have two phones. I use one for the app and GPS that is mounted and the other to make calls and send texts which is kept between my legs. I've used the mounted one as a dash cam before, but it doesn't work so well since it's not a "fish eye" lens and doesn't have night vision. I've considered getting a dedicated camera setup, but a halfway decent one is a few hundred dollars and I only drive for Uber (usually) one night a week. It hardly seems worth it. I did tell an unruly passenger that my phone was recording once (although it wasn't) and he simmered down pretty quickly.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    HAHA! Not a stalker, just using the public info you gave to me sir! :cool:
    :+1: Agreed, and will add there are enemies to the Constitution and America who may indeed troll for just such info. While there are many (most, by far) data breaches we cannot control, this data we can control. And should!

Don't let Mom's Denied Action target your business...they have shown over and over that they will indeed do just that.

Please, please remove your personally identifiable info Josh!

Top Bottom