• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    yeah but a man should be able to hang them on his wall if he wants to also. your a gun dealer so you not having a safe in your store would be negligent. but for an average joe, no. gun safes havent been all that common past the last 15 years or so. its sad that people even have to lock their front doors anymore. but to ma blaming a guy for not having a gun safe and getting his guns stolen is like blaming a rape victim for being good looking. besides, to even a unskilled robber, a gun safe will only buy you about 20 minutes if that if they have any tools and will power. gun safes arent the solve all problem fixer to crime.

Not blaming the guy at all.

Just saying this is exactly the reason why you should own a safe.

Very few people do. And some have tens of thousands of dollars worth of firearms.

And yes, in a perfect world, you SHOULD be able to leave 10k in cash just laying about the house, but in the real world, it makes sense to put it inside of an armored box :)

It hurts to pay good money for a safe, it hurts more to lose your guns to some common smash and grabber.

Last edited:

sinisterright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Really sorry to hear about this. Hope you get your stuff back. I have been robbed before and it sure does leave you feeling violated. Really hope the perp answers for this.

Step 1. Buy a gun to keep on your belt.
    Step 2. Buy a safe.
    Step 3, 4, 5, and 6. Buy guns to put into safe.

Does anyone do this? No. They dont.

Should they? Yes.

Now there is an stolen AR15 out there somewhere, in an evil-doers hands.

This post bothered me too. Thanks for clarifying Dom.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Not blaming the guy at all.

Just saying this is exactly the reason why you should own a safe.

Very few people do. And some have tens of thousands of dollars worth of firearms.

And yes, in a perfect world, you SHOULD be able to leave 10k in cash just laying about the house, but in the real world, it makes sense to put it inside of an armored box :)

It hurts to pay good money for a safe, it hurts more to lose your guns to some common smash and grabber.

ok. then we agree. i just misunderstood you. sorry

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    I still feel luke getting sick at the thought of it. And the fact they were here when i was and i didnt hear em i am already looking at other options of getting another ar already but have a feeling the ol lady isnt going to want to let me come up off of that kind of money i have the brd( black rifle disease) BAD and HAVE to have another one i think i am still in shock and the bad thing is not even a block away a coupke hrs later we saw about 6-7 cops at a house down the road and we are in a quiet farm area. I have come to conclusion i am never going to see it again i just hope it doesnt get used for something bad. And thank god there were only two bullets with it in the pistol grip. But they fidnt take any magd but took a handful of blanks? And then decided to take $60 worth of car wash books for mikes car wash. Uggggg if i come across them

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Sorry to hear about that. I hate theives. Its unfortunate that you weren't home to show him/them the business end of that AR instead. I know you said that you hadn't taken any pictures of the rifle since you finished it, but if you have any pics I'd go through them to see if you have a good look at the serial number on the lower.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Trigger happy, You need to find your serial numbers ASAP! As soon as you do, you need to report those to the police. When a firearm is reported stolen, it gets put in the national database known as NCIC. Otherwise if police elsewhere come across it, they will never know it's been stolen.

Something I recommend for everyone is to have a record like the ATF http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-3312-8.pdf

I have a pdf that has my firearms with accessories and total prices. Serial numbers are HUGE!!!!!!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    They broke into your house also? Not to sound like a jerk, but never leave a gun in your car. It's a shame that we should even have to lock our cars or doors. However, that's the society we live in, which is unfortunate. I know a safe is not the end all deterrent. However, unless the thieves know what they are doing, and have the proper tools, it's going to keep your firearms safe. Also, I highly recommend you take pictures and and record serial numbers right away, anytime you buy or build a new gun. I have copies on my computer, in my small safe, and at my Mothers house. Again, not to sound like a jerk, it's sad though that people have to thieve.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    yeah but a man should be able to hang them on his wall if he wants to also. your a gun dealer so you not having a safe in your store would be negligent. but for an average joe, no. gun safes haven't been all that common past the last 15 years or so. its sad that people even have to lock their front doors anymore. but to ma blaming a guy for not having a gun safe and getting his guns stolen is like blaming a rape victim for being good looking. besides, to even a unskilled robber, a gun safe will only buy you about 20 minutes if that if they have any tools and will power. gun safes aren't the solve all problem fixer to crime.

I agree, but I would never leave a gun in my vehicle. I know safe is not an end all solution. However, the average criminal is not going to have the tools or knowledge. Unless his house has been cased, and the thieves knew what they where doing.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    :xmad::xmad::xmad: Very sorry to hear about this! Piece of crap people like that **** me off! Best of luck getting it back and hopefully they get caught.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I saw on the news that some teenagers had an ND and kid shot his brother in the abdomen.

This was off Davis road. Maybe you're farther out, but that story seemed eerily coincidental - or not.

I don't know what the type of firearm was used in the ND, but now I want to know!

I don't know where you're renting near New Pal, OP. But it just has to be somebody that knew what you had. Either saw you load it into your vehicle and watched you return and not unload it? Neighbors can be so nosey and word gets around. If you didn't have it in a case or rug an EBR will create a buzz - even if you didn't know old gossip lady saw it.

Don't give up hope. I do think it's a punk that's off school for the summer.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I saw on the news that some teenagers had an ND and kid shot his brother in the abdomen.

This was off Davis road. Maybe you're farther out, but that story seemed eerily coincidental - or not.

I don't know what the type of firearm was used in the ND, but now I want to know!

I don't know where you're renting near New Pal, OP. But it just has to be somebody that knew what you had. Either saw you load it into your vehicle and watched you return and not unload it? Neighbors can be so nosey and word gets around. If you didn't have it in a case or rug an EBR will create a buzz - even if you didn't know old gossip lady saw it.

Don't give up hope. I do think it's a punk that's off school for the summer.

that was a revolver- Cops: Teen shot in stomach by brother on Southeastside | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They broke into your house also? Not to sound like a jerk, but never leave a gun in your car. It's a shame that we should even have to lock our cars or doors. However, that's the society we live in, which is unfortunate. I know a safe is not the end all deterrent. However, unless the thieves know what they are doing, and have the proper tools, it's going to keep your firearms safe. Also, I highly recommend you take pictures and and record serial numbers right away, anytime you buy or build a new gun. I have copies on my computer, in my small safe, and at my Mothers house. Again, not to sound like a jerk, it's sad though that people have to thieve.

I was think that too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Comparatively, there's quite a difference (and risk) from breaking into a car vs a house.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Lock your doors, keep info and pictures of your firearms, and don't brag to everyone about your new gun or safe purchase. I see it on INGO all the time and I understand that you are rightfully proud of your new AR build or new safe. But when you write about or post a picture of it everyone on the internet can see it, and they're not all law abiding citizens. It's not hard to do a little research on a lot of people on INGO by looking back through their post's and figure out where they live and work, what kind and how many firearms they have, and even info about their new security systems they've had installed. Remember that a lot of theives are lazy but some are not and will put in the time before they rob you blind to make sure they get it right. Just be careful who you trust with information about your home and its contents and don't make yourself a easy target. This post isn't aimed at the OP, it just seemed like the proper thread to address something that I've been noticing for a while on INGO. :twocents:

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I hate to hear this friend. My house was broken into and many guns were taken a little over a year ago. I learned quite a bit at that time. 1st thing I learned was don't keep your valuables in your master bedroom. 2nd, don't keep them in an office either. 3rd have all your information including pics, numbers, etc. where you can get it immediately. 4th, have all your guns itemized with your insurance co. 5th, would be great if I had a big safe that was too heavy for two or three guys to carry off.

Sorry for your loss and your pain...seriously know how you feel.

Top Bottom