Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Actually what I ment was ,my thoughts exactly.
    But I couldn't resist my smarta$$ tendencies

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Provided that isn't tied to a theological dogma, we're good to go. :yesway:

Well, few religions fail to restrict murder, theft, rape and such. Basic morality, based on wisdom, dictates that there are activities that need to be restricted. Thus if you do said activities then you have the whole community come down on you.

In the ancient days the elders of the community sat at the gates of the city and made judgements based on their religious beliefs. In fact most of history had little government and more of a system that was like vigilantism.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Can it happen?

I agree with all of that. That's why the idea put forth in the original article is flawed. There will always be people who want to legislate their personal morality.
    Some folks are trying to work America, w/o the benefit of our Constitution. Working with Executive Orders, and "just ram it in" process. There is "SOME" sort of "law" and justification for their agenda, but not The Constitution. Tin-foil question: what will OUR rights be -- those of us on this site, & our families -- if sharia becomes the over-riding influence of law and politics in the U.S.A.? Philosophy only, NOT religious tantrums. EBG

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I'm 28.

Most of my young friends, family, and neighbors are conservatives, libertarians, or at least right leaning moderates. The ones who are liberals, are recent grads or still in college.

^^^This....except I am 29. :rockwoot:

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    This is why social issues should not be the concern of the government. People
    interpret the words general welfare that is in the very first paragraph of the Constitution to mean that the government can control every aspect of your life.

So true........

And unknowingly, you just gave us a new nickname for our current President; 'General Welfare' Commander-in-Chief

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Wrong. What everyone called "Generation X" is going to be the resurgence of Conservatism. We were written off, then we became the most educated, entrepreneurial and successful generation in history.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Wonder what the forefathers would think of this thread...?

"Our liberty depends on our eduaction, our laws, and habits....it is founded on morals and religion, whose authority reigns in the heart, and on the influence all these produce on public opinion before that opinion governs rulers." Fisher Ames, framer of the 1st Ammendment

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters." Benjamin Franklin 1787

"Government is for the common good, protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people, not for profit, honor, private interest of any man, family, class of men, therefore, the people alone have the right to institute government, to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when protection, safety, prosperity and happiness require it." John Adams 1776

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    That's looking like what it will take to make a significant change in the gop, according to one columnist. The old guard showed just what they think of the young, grass roots cadre at their recent convention. Since working from within for change didn't work, the new blood of sensible fiscal hawks and libertarian minded rnc members will apparently have to wait for nature to take its course before there can be any substantial change in their party. The old guard have shown that they're more than willing to lie, cheat and steal to get their way. What a sad state of affairs it is. "Conservatism", (as it is now) will inevitably die and be replaced. Too bad we have to wait so long.

Once the older generations in America die, so will social conservatism « MichelleFields.com
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
    Benjamin Franklin

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    PIGS; more equal than others ...

... and it all boils down to why the Minute Men were so pissed-off, and how good a shot they were in a pinch; you'd better be. The pigs want all your stuff, and don't believe in any god or law above their crotch. PIGS @ more than 51% is gonna mean trouble. Learn to shoot, or you will not outlast any of your high-blown philosophy bleated here. Hear that horn? It's Benjamin's Herald. EBG
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
    Benjamin Franklin

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Mods Alert Religuous Discussion Afoot. WARBING, WARNING, WARNING.

Morals are what ever an individual believes.

You a libertarian want to foist your lack of faith in god to be the norm, and probably will be before too many generations. The problem is that your lack of moral guidance will allow everyone to make their own rules. Not a problem though, you will be able to grow your own. When the crop is ready the guy across the street decides his morals dictate he has no problem with murdering you and taking his rightful stash that you have been holding for him.

BTW there are a lot of liberals who also have no faith and hate the Constitution so they will have no problem with tearing it up. So no constitution so the strongest militia winds up making up the rules that you live or die by.

I should write a story about the lights going out.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    All law is some form of morality. Even murder, theft and rape are moral issues. Do you think that you could create a culture that would oppress those who have faith? Would you be willing to murder christians and Jews?

Faith is not going away. But secularism is.

Keep telling yourself that. :)

Survey: One in five Americans has no religion – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Plenty of people pay lip service to the idea of a religion or god, but they couldn't tell you the last time they went to church. They say they believe in god, then go on about their merry way and do whatever the heck they want.

33,000,000 claim no religion in the United States, despite a declared belief in some kind of god. 13,000,000 are atheists or agnostics.

As far as I'm concerned, another person's religion is only a concern when that person uses their faith to try to pass legislation based on what they believe. As Thomas Jefferson said, "But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." (Notes on Virginia, 1782)

If religion was truly that important to Americans in this day and age, we would see Rick Santorum or Rick Perry as the GOP candidate running against Obama. Instead, we have a candidate who belongs to a religion that many consider to be a cult vs. a candidate who is either a muslim or satan himself, depending on who you ask. :):

For those who don't like my comment, or think that it violates the rules here, remember that I am responding to a post mentioning faith vs. secularism. Enforce the rule evenly, or allow civil debate. I've said nothing that would offend a reasonable man.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    ... and it all boils down to why the Minute Men were so pissed-off, and how good a shot they were in a pinch; you'd better be. The pigs want all your stuff, and don't believe in any god or law above their crotch. PIGS @ more than 51% is gonna mean trouble. Learn to shoot, or you will not outlast any of your high-blown philosophy bleated here. Hear that horn? It's Benjamin's Herald. EBG
    Regardless of nationality, political preference, etc. etc., many people, in general, are pigs and have no problem taking from even the poorest. In their minds, they're right. So that makes the 51%, in reality, a much higher number.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Wonder what the forefathers would think of this thread...?

"Our liberty depends on our eduaction, our laws, and habits....it is founded on morals and religion, whose authority reigns in the heart, and on the influence all these produce on public opinion before that opinion governs rulers." Fisher Ames, framer of the 1st Ammendment

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters." Benjamin Franklin 1787

"Government is for the common good, protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people, not for profit, honor, private interest of any man, family, class of men, therefore, the people alone have the right to institute government, to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when protection, safety, prosperity and happiness require it." John Adams 1776

Who cares what they'd think? We've had some people on here claiming to stand by the Constitution saying that it is outdated and needs to be living. A confusing bunch we've got in these parts.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keep telling yourself that. :)

Survey: One in five Americans has no religion – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Plenty of people pay lip service to the idea of a religion or god, but they couldn't tell you the last time they went to church. They say they believe in god, then go on about their merry way and do whatever the heck they want.

33,000,000 claim no religion in the United States, despite a declared belief in some kind of god. 13,000,000 are atheists or agnostics.

As far as I'm concerned, another person's religion is only a concern when that person uses their faith to try to pass legislation based on what they believe. As Thomas Jefferson said, "But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." (Notes on Virginia, 1782)

If religion was truly that important to Americans in this day and age, we would see Rick Santorum or Rick Perry as the GOP candidate running against Obama. Instead, we have a candidate who belongs to a religion that many consider to be a cult vs. a candidate who is either a muslim or satan himself, depending on who you ask. :):

For those who don't like my comment, or think that it violates the rules here, remember that I am responding to a post mentioning faith vs. secularism. Enforce the rule evenly, or allow civil debate. I've said nothing that would offend a reasonable man.

Look, when you dig deeper into that poll you find that the 20% who have no "religion" are still believing but do not affilate with any religious group. They are unchurched. But then many evangelicals no longer identify with any particular church. That is not the same thing as rejecting faith. They have faith, not religion.

Secularism is an offshoot of the Industrial Age. It will disappear along with collectivism. Those who reject christianity may well be open to being converted to Islam for example.

But my statement stands.
    All law is some form of morality. Even murder, theft and rape are moral issues. Do you think that you could create a culture that would oppress those who have faith? Would you be willing to murder christians and Jews?

Faith is not going away. All laws are formed on some type of morality. As much as you may dislike it, ethics and morality are part of the culture. Simple rules for simple children who can not understand wisdom.

And you are not going to make the conservatives disappear.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    Look, when you dig deeper into that poll you find that the 20% who have no "religion" are still believing but do not affilate with any religious group. They are unchurched. But then many evangelicals no longer identify with any particular church. That is not the same thing as rejecting faith. They have faith, not religion.

Secularism is an offshoot of the Industrial Age. It will disappear along with collectivism. Those who reject christianity may well be open to being converted to Islam for example.

But my statement stands.

Faith is not going away. All laws are formed on some type of morality. As much as you may dislike it, ethics and morality are part of the culture. Simple rules for simple children who can not understand wisdom.

And you are not going to make the conservatives disappear.

Morality is not dependent on religion, and certainly not dependent on one brand of religion. That's my only point. If morality were dependent on religion, Norway and Australia, 2 of the most irreligious countries on earth, would be cesspools. Instead, they are modern nations with high literacy rates and a quality of life consistently ranked at the top of the list. In fact, Australia's prime minister is an atheist.

The idea that those who reject your brand of theology are open to being converted to another is somewhat true, but only if the person is the type who needs some kind of supernatural force to validate his or her existence. For those of us who do not need that, there will be no conversion. One brand of theology is as irrelevant as the other.

I'm not sure why one would equate a move towards secularism with oppression of belief. Disagreeing with someone is not the same as oppressing them. Everyone is free to believe as they see fit, as long as it doesn't negatively impact another person.

If belief in a deity is necessary to keep us from murdering and raping at will, then we are truly lost as a species.

Top Bottom