• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Well I pulled the trigger today & bought a DPMS AR-15 at the Warsaw Wal Mart.
    Price was $587. before my 10% discount (wife is a WM employee).
    It's a basic flat top with two 20 round mags included.
    Now if I could find ammo locally...:xmad:

They also carry a Sig AR & looked like a nicer gun, but also cost $917.

10 years ago when I used to shoot chucks with a Ruger model 77 in 223 you could find ammo all over?

The internal red dot is temp, I will be ordering iron sights for it soon.
    Just wanted to try it out though....if I can find ammo.

2012-03-16_19-04-06_402.jpg

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    Wal-Mart is running a test program in Alaska. They are selling pistols. Talking with the manager today, they are not far off from being a place to order all kinds of firearms.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    They are coming soon....ARs will be available as well.

Pretty sure any WM that sells guns in there sporting good department can order an AR or other types of long guns they wouldn't normally carry.
    It's kinda up to the store manager & sporting good department manager what kind of guns they will keep in stock.

The SG department manager where I bought my Wal Mart AR this week in Warsaw is a friend of mine & a shooter who has AR's.
    It makes a differance.

Demagraphics play a role too, Warsaw has a low crime rate, but has a high population of hunters/sportsmen.

Some stores are in a "sensitive" area & just don't want to carry or display a black gun with an exposed clip "to scary looking" or just don't have the knowledge base among the sporting goods sales associates to carry guns like AR's.

I still have my doubts they will carry hand guns at Wal Mart, atleast locally.
    I hope I'm proven wrong because I'll order a SR1911 & pull that 10% off card in a hurry.

Next time your in WM at the sporting goods department ask to see the special order catalog.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Some stores are in a "sensitive" area & just don't want to carry or display a black gun with an exposed clip "to scary looking" or just don't have the knowledge base among the sporting goods sales associates to carry guns like AR's.

This has NOTHING to do with the process. Everything else you said was accurate to a certain extent and plays a role in the decison process of who carrys guns and what kinds they carry. Brownsburg for example have ZERO knowledge of AR platforms or many of the other guns they will be carrying very soon. Someone will be going in to the store for training purposes. The decison to carry ARs soon at Brownsburg was decided by someone I know very well, same person that will be conducting the training.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    It wasn't my intent to call you out or miss inform anyone.

I frequent the south Goshen store alot since my wife works at that one.
    The gun cabinet & ammo shelves are normally not to impressive...I also know most of the associates & get the vibe that very few of them are "shooters", some don't even know what an AR is, but they can special order one out of there book.

What I said in the previous post is how I interpreted a discussion I had with the store manager.

The Warsaw store on the other hand keeps some nice long guns in their cases & the associates are also shooters & have a better idea what they're selling.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    It wasn't my intent to call you out or miss inform anyone.

I frequent the south Goshen store alot since my wife works at that one.
    The gun cabinet & ammo shelves are normally not to impressive...I also know most of the associates & get the vibe that very few of them are "shooters", some don't even know what an AR is, but they can special order one out of there book.

What I said in the previous post is how I interpreted a discussion I had with the store manager.

The Warsaw store on the other hand keeps some nice long guns in their cases & the associates are also shooters & have a better idea what they're selling.

I hear ya, and understand how you got that impression....it usally works the other way around. Store is traited for certain guns and then there is training on them or they find people who are knowledgeable about what they are selling and move them into those positions. I know a couple stores in the Indy area that have some managers, or SG associates that are very knowledgeable about gun but will NEVER get guns, for various reasons.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I hear ya, and understand how you got that impression....it usally works the other way around. Store is traited for certain guns and then there is training on them or they find people who are knowledgeable about what they are selling and move them into those positions. I know a couple stores in the Indy area that have some managers, or SG associates that are very knowledgeable about gun but will NEVER get guns, for various reasons.
    Anything you can do about at least getting ammo into the Lafayette Road store...?

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I will be honest...its not very likely. Its been reviewed several times and doesn't look like its going to happen. Not impossable, just very unlikely.
    And what is the reason for not stocking ammo? When the store originally opened they at least had shot shells, but now it's nothing.

They do realize you can drive just around the corner and buy the stuff from Don's or Meijer, right?

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    And what is the reason for not stocking ammo? When the store originally opened they at least had shot shells, but now it's nothing.

They do realize you can drive just around the corner and buy the stuff from Don's or Meijer, right?

Sporting goods sales much lower than "class average". I agree ammo could be sold out of there, just at a much lower rate than other stores. Merchandising planners have to fight for space in store, all based off numbers.

Top Bottom