• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    We have used them for years in our classes and put thousands of rounds through them. We just don't have any trouble.

Like any .22 pistol, they are picky about ammo. Simply find what works and stick with it. Ours work great on cheap Federal bulk! Of course anything should run well on better ammo like Mini-mags.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My P22 is a fun, cheap little plinker. Somewhat finicky on ammo, like most semi-autos. The rounds need to be fast enough to cycle the action, but not so "hot" they slam the slide back.

Not knocking the SR22! Another great little gun!

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Like most are saying. It's not junk, but finicky as it's a 22. Keep her oiled and put a couple hundred through and it should work well. But, get what you really want to get.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love mine...

WaltherP22withGemtech.jpg

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Walther P22 has a big :rockwoot: from me.

That was and still is my favorite 22 plinker to date.

At least 75% of the ammo fired through it was CCI MM's...
    The rest was all Remington and Winchester with zero hiccups.

It looks great (IMO), felt great and am overall very satisfied with it.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    shes the one that actually found the pink one. its pink camo and she was real excited about it. i was just gna get her the plain black one with laser sight, but u know how women are with ther color coordinating. gota love em though.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    shes the one that actually found the pink one. its pink camo and she was real excited about it. i was just gna get her the plain black one with laser sight, but u know how women are with ther color coordinating. gota love em though.

Yup. Too well.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Like others have said, the P22 is a great little plinker and fun to shoot. Have had 8K+ rounds through mine with no problems. I have found my P22 not at all picky about ammo - it has eaten everything it is fed. :rockwoot:I wish I could say the same about the Beretta Neos and the Browning Buckmark.:(

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I know others have had good experience with theirs, but in my personal experience I'd have to say it's junk. I've owned two. The first always had feeding problems, even with buying new mags. It also once somehow put a casing in the barrel, chambered a round behind it, and fired...thankfully I was wearing eye pro. Got rid of that in short order, second one was extended barrel. It still had its share of feeding problems, additionally the extension would work itself off over the course of every range visit. Had several smiths look at it, had replacement screws from Walther sent (I do have to mention they sent those no charge upon asking which was sweet) but still that thing couldn't make it through a range trip. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I know others have had good experience with theirs, but in my personal experience I'd have to say it's junk. I've owned two. The first always had feeding problems, even with buying new mags. It also once somehow put a casing in the barrel, chambered a round behind it, and fired...thankfully I was wearing eye pro. Got rid of that in short order, second one was extended barrel. It still had its share of feeding problems, additionally the extension would work itself off over the course of every range visit. Had several smiths look at it, had replacement screws from Walther sent (I do have to mention they sent those no charge upon asking which was sweet) but still that thing couldn't make it through a range trip. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
    Yeah, I've heard of several issues with the "long" barrel versions. Most seem to stem from the slide slamming forward and hitting the extension. At least yours just loosened up. Several others broke the slide.

For you P22 fans out there, this is a great resource:
    www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    My Walther has served me well also. It was a little picky at first but after a little break in it does just fine. I tried CCI Mini Mags to break it in and it didn't like them but seemed to like Remington Thunderbolts better. After a little break in it will eat anything I throw in it. I Put about 200 rounds through it just the other day without a single hick-up using cheap bulk ammo from Wally World. Which in itself was surprising because I usually get at least one or two ammo related malfunctions per 100 rounds when using cheapo .22 ammo.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Add another vote for the P22. (not against the Ruger, just for the Walther.)
    Mine was the first pistol I ever bought and was also my only handgun suppressor host. I had the break-in issues, too; CCI Blazer didn't work well in it, but mini-mags did fine, and now it eats anything I'll give it.

In fairness, I should point out VUPDBlue's recent thread about his. He had it at the range and the slide broke. Of course, that's after ~ 9 years and 40,000-50,000 rounds, but it did break. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/208381-walther_p22_catastrophic_failure.html

Other than the break-in-period, though, I've had no issues with mine and as I said, recommend it highly.

Blessings,
    Bill

jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    Can't speak for all the other P22 owners here, but I have two and they have been great. They do take some break in with good ammo, I recommend CCI Stingers or Mini-mags, but once that's done, both have no issues with bulk.

Nice accurate little plinkers and loads of fun. IMHO

I have one and really enjoy it. :yesway: With that being, the gun shoots the CCI ammo like he mentioned above, flawlessly. It is very accurate as well and cheap bulk ammo tends to jam here and there.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Add another vote for the P22. (not against the Ruger, just for the Walther.)
    Mine was the first pistol I ever bought and was also my only handgun suppressor host. I had the break-in issues, too; CCI Blazer didn't work well in it, but mini-mags did fine, and now it eats anything I'll give it.

In fairness, I should point out VUPDBlue's recent thread about his. He had it at the range and the slide broke. Of course, that's after ~ 9 years and 40,000-50,000 rounds, but it did break. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/208381-walther_p22_catastrophic_failure.html

Other than the break-in-period, though, I've had no issues with mine and as I said, recommend it highly.

Blessings,
    Bill
    I was just getting ready to link PDBlue's thread too! Scooped yet again!

headleyj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ive got a p22 and never had an issue with it. Somethings making me remember if you're looking at the "ca" edition the safety may be different...cant remember.

Btw, i put the longer barrel and slide ext on it and lime it even better, but that said i have been eyeing the ruger :)

Top Bottom