• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I totally get where you're coming from. But the best therapy is to get out there and shoot the hell out of it. The truth is that you will only lose a handful of fps. We're here to help you, now put on your big boy pants and go shoot :draw:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Looks like they threaded it without lubricant, I've done a better job with a pipe threader and a vice.
    If you look closely it looks like somebody engaged the half-nut at the wrong spot and cut the peaks out of the thread-form then "hoped" by continuing it would cover up the mistake. It didn't... Even without any lube (I often thread with no lube for various reasons I will state if you want to know) I NEVER get something as pitiful as that.
    If this were a rare barrel that couldn't be easily replaced, would it be possible to build up material with a mig welder and remachine it?
    I would never weld on a barrel, especially near the crown. Cut & thread, silver solder a sleeve on, etc...

That's the fixed job? Bleck... the threads do look better but look at that thread relief!!! It's not even uniform and it's too deep... I'm going to say an amateur or a blind man cut that. If it's an amateur he needs more practice before he even thinks about touching customer guns. If it's a blind man it's time for him to hang up his hat.

As a machinist that has been doing this type of work for over a decade now, that is a sorry excuse for a "professional job".

G3hkray

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    valparaiso
    You can see all the errors that's pretty amazing. I think the thread fit is kinda bad but I don't have any way to measure and I don't have any other 5/8 24 brakes to try. I think you are exactly right though

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    If you look closely it looks like somebody engaged the half-nut at the wrong spot and cut the peaks out of the thread-form then "hoped" by continuing it would cover up the mistake. It didn't... Even without any lube (I often thread with no lube for various reasons I will state if you want to know) I NEVER get something as pitiful as that.

I would never weld on a barrel, especially near the crown. Cut & thread, silver solder a sleeve on, etc...
    +1 likely a lathe that doesn't have a chasing dial....or its possible he chipped the cutter ... but i think your right on the indexing of the tool

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Late to the game.

When they declined to replace the barrel at their cost you should have filed a small claim.

You would have easily won in court and got your cash back, and not have to accept a 1/2 @ssed job.

And they should have gladly done it, for the goodwill. Obviously they don't give a :poop: about customer satisfaction.

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    so they cut off 1.5 " ? how many times did they screw up ? the barrel should have stayed 20 " . You could have turned it to 9/16-24 threads .You can get your can threaded to match .

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    so they cut off 1.5 " ? how many times did they screw up ? the barrel should have stayed 20 " . You could have turned it to 9/16-24 threads .You can get your can threaded to match .

IMHO, I wouldn't settle for a 9/16-24 thread; much less common and may be harder to find the right accessories down the road when he wants to change his setup.

Just to add to what others have said, everytime I thread a barrel the thought in the back of my mind is, "you'll be money out of pocket if you mess it up" because I won't even make you beg for a new barrel, I'll offer it up immediately if it's my fault.

G3hkray

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    valparaiso
    I asked about 1/2 28 and bore out the brake center to .30 cal but they refused. I ended up on Griffen armmenent qd mounts so thread size didn't much matter after that is installed and it would have been common thread. He gave his reasons why it wouldn't work but I thought this would have been the best way to salvage my barrel.

G3hkray

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    valparaiso
    I know 1.5 shorter either they screwed up again and cut more or they were just rubbing in the hate because I bashed them here. We will never know.

Bru

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Valparaiso
    Take them to small claims, get you a new shilen barrel thats how i would have handled it

I wasn't going to reply to this thread...but I stumbled across it and this last quote is exactly why I didn't replace the barrel. Did we screw up the threads? Sure did..screwed em up good and I didn't catch it...all my fault because I am the owner. Now, why didn't I replace the barrel? The gun was presented to me with the request of threading is for a comp and "some day I might add a suppressor". No mention was made that this was to be a 1000yd gun. Why does that matter? I would have explained to him that the factory Remington 20" barrel he had was not capable of that kind of distance/accuracy. Finding out later AFTER he found an issue with the threads....and I know he would have found an issue because everyone else that weighed in on the thread did even after it was done by another shop on a cnc lathe...made it appear to me and several others that were involved that he was looking for a new barrel and wanted someone else to pay for it. I have little respect for someone that will go to an internet forum and ***** about a shop/dealer/manufacturer BEFORE talking to them and giving them a chance to take care of the issue. I have been building rifles for 18 years now and we are a supplier to several law enforcement agencies. A mistake was made and I made it right, but I was not going to be taken advantage of.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wow. You admit you screwed up, and you're unwilling to eat the cost to replace the barrel with the correct length. Amazing.

You didn't make it right, you found the cheapest way to cover your screw up and get him to go away.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I wasn't going to reply to this thread...but I stumbled across it and this last quote is exactly why I didn't replace the barrel. Did we screw up the threads? Sure did..screwed em up good and I didn't catch it...all my fault because I am the owner. Now, why didn't I replace the barrel? The gun was presented to me with the request of threading is for a comp and "some day I might add a suppressor". No mention was made that this was to be a 1000yd gun. Why does that matter? I would have explained to him that the factory Remington 20" barrel he had was not capable of that kind of distance/accuracy. Finding out later AFTER he found an issue with the threads....and I know he would have found an issue because everyone else that weighed in on the thread did even after it was done by another shop on a cnc lathe...made it appear to me and several others that were involved that he was looking for a new barrel and wanted someone else to pay for it. I have little respect for someone that will go to an internet forum and ***** about a shop/dealer/manufacturer BEFORE talking to them and giving them a chance to take care of the issue. I have been building rifles for 18 years now and we are a supplier to several law enforcement agencies. A mistake was made and I made it right, but I was not going to be taken advantage of.

Wow, you admittedly hosed a customers barrel and your excuse is he can buy a better barrel later. What a stand up guy!

This absolutely does not justify your poor workmanship. I am in the service industry. I own my own business and guys with your business model and work ethic keep guys like me employed.

The customers end use of the product in no way justifies poor workmanship. I haven't got a clue why you even bothered posting in this thread. Your comments just bury you farther in a hole.

How would I have handled the situation? I would have at least offered to replace the barrel with use pull from a barrel swap or offered to chip in on the cost of a new barrel. That is the "least". The best way would have been to just replace the barrel and lost money on the job. You can bet your ass he would be here bragging about how you took care of the issue. Instead of complaining about your poor workmanship and bad business practice.

I am not sure why you bothered posting. The only stand up thing you did was admit it was your fault. You owe the man a barrel. Keep complaining and you get yourself buried in even worse negative rep. You loose on the internet today.

PS, Kudos for owning the mistake, but ethic fail on resolviing the issue. Enjoy the neg rep you will get.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

So how does any of that mean you do not owe him a Remington factory barrel like he brought in to begin with?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok here I go with my tinfoil hat again!

So this entire thing makes me scratch my head. This post has been DEAD for close to TWO MONTHS and now out of the blue the "Owner" of the company gets on here with only two past posts and basically says "Yah I screwed up but didn't think it would matter and didn't want to buy a new barrel."

I am struggling with this on SOOO MANY levels. Part of me sits back and goes hmmm. Wonder if OP went out and shot the gun got all pissed off again and decided jump back on here to sling some more mud in a bit more deceitful manor? Then that intern makes me question the original integrity of the first post? Hmmm.

I am probably completely wrong and crazy to think a business owner wouldn't spend the time to go back to the end of the second page of the gunsmithing chat page to bring back a page that made his company look bad just to make it look worst? :dunno:

Or could just be a drunk post from the owner in which case my apologies to OP for the undue suspicion and the owner earns all the bad press he gets.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ok here I go with my tinfoil hat again!

So this entire thing makes me scratch my head. This post has been DEAD for close to TWO MONTHS and now out of the blue the "Owner" of the company gets on here with only two past posts and basically says "Yah I screwed up but didn't think it would matter and didn't want to buy a new barrel."

I am struggling with this on SOOO MANY levels. Part of me sits back and goes hmmm. Wonder if OP went out and shot the gun got all pissed off again and decided jump back on here to sling some more mud in a bit more deceitful manor? Then that intern makes me question the original integrity of the first post? Hmmm.

I am probably completely wrong and crazy to think a business owner wouldn't spend the time to go back to the end of the second page of the gunsmithing chat page to bring back a page that made his company look bad just to make it look worst? :dunno:

Or could just be a drunk post from the owner in which case my apologies to OP for the undue suspicion and the owner earns all the bad press he gets.

As far as slinging mud, he would have had to created an alternate screen name back in 2014.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I wasn't going to reply to this thread...but I stumbled across it and this last quote is exactly why I didn't replace the barrel. Did we screw up the threads? Sure did..screwed em up good and I didn't catch it...all my fault because I am the owner. Now, why didn't I replace the barrel? The gun was presented to me with the request of threading is for a comp and "some day I might add a suppressor". No mention was made that this was to be a 1000yd gun. Why does that matter?
    It doesn't matter what the gun was going to be used for, you're just making excuses for **** poor customer service...
    I would have explained to him that the factory Remington 20" barrel he had was not capable of that kind of distance/accuracy.
    That's a batch of BS... Accuracy: I'm shooting a factory remington barrel that easily shoots 1/2 MOA or better if I do my part. I can keep my 500 yard groups under 2" better than 80% of the time on calm days. Range: there are bullets & handloads that can VERY easily get to 1,000 yards even on short barreled .308's.

Finding out later AFTER he found an issue with the threads....and I know he would have found an issue because everyone else that weighed in on the thread did even after it was done by another shop on a cnc lathe...made it appear to me and several others that were involved that he was looking for a new barrel and wanted someone else to pay for it. I have little respect for someone that will go to an internet forum and ***** about a shop/dealer/manufacturer BEFORE talking to them and giving them a chance to take care of the issue. I have been building rifles for 18 years now and we are a supplier to several law enforcement agencies. A mistake was made and I made it right, but I was not going to be taken advantage of.

You're making excuses for garbage service. You didn't make ANYTHING right, you repeatedly jacked up a job that many amateurs can do. "Making it right" is, "hey, I screwed this up, we will do whatever it takes to make it right. Do you want us to replace the barrel? Try again? What will it take?"

What makes you think he just wanted a new barrel? Sure, he wanted a new barrel after you screwed it up, which is absolutely in his right to demand, YOU screwed it up. Are you saying he wanted a new barrel BEFORE you screwed it up? Why on earth would he bring you a rifle and have the barrel threaded if he really just wanted a different barrel? Or do you think that you just happened, by coincidence, to screw up the threads on the the rifle for the 1 guy that walked in your shop hoping you would screw up the threads so he got a new barrel? Seems like a VERY big coincidence!!!

Top Bottom