• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Guns that have been used outside of the purchasers' control are worth about half of new price unless there is scarcity problem or some collector value involved. That's because of possible ramifications of well intentioned modifications, negation of manufacturer's warranty, possible damage through the use of improperly manufactured ammunition, possible use in crimes, possibly being entered into a stolen serial numbers data base, possibly being a factory manufactured problem being passed on to the next owner... I'm sure someone else can come up with other horror stories. So any way, if someone wants to pay new gun or almost new gun prices for a not new gun then I'm all for it, have fun and be happy the deal you got. Me, nuh unh, I've done learned the hard way.

So yeah, I understand some people will get their skirt lifted over such an idea but you know what, it's my money.
    If I'm gonna buy a used car, used appliance or used gun it's gonna be at used prices or else I'm going to be able to walk right back in that store and say hey, fix or replace this.

You forget there are quite a few folks that like "off the books" firearms and will pay a premium for them. Some folks are pretty paranoid and will pay at or near retail for your gun because they dont a 4473 floating around out there on the gun. Not that they CANT run one, but that they dont WANT that paper trail. Tinfoil hat stuff.

But for the rest of us, near retail on some pedestrian gun with rust or holster wear is not worth near retail. But I STRONGLY disagree with you on "half of new". Its not THAT bad if the gun is clean.

And thats also one of the reasons for dealing here instead of gunbroker, etc. You know the folks here and if something is wrong, it will most likely get taken care of. And the previous statement puts a fine point on the 50 post rule/this place is for socializing, not for selling. I know that if I bought a gun from da Mouse, or Tanker, or BBI if there was a problem, it would be taken care of and I wouldnt be left hanging. (and why I wont deal with a "no post" site supporter. )

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You forget there are quite a few folks that like "off the books" firearms and will pay a premium for them. Some folks are pretty paranoid and will pay at or near retail for your gun because they dont a 4473 floating around out there on the gun. Not that they CANT run one, but that they dont WANT that paper trail. Tinfoil hat stuff.

But for the rest of us, near retail on some pedestrian gun with rust or holster wear is not worth near retail. But I STRONGLY disagree with you on "half of new". Its not THAT bad if the gun is clean.

And thats also one of the reasons for dealing here instead of gunbroker, etc. You know the folks here and if something is wrong, it will most likely get taken care of. And the previous statement puts a fine point on the 50 post rule/this place is for socializing, not for selling. I know that if I bought a gun from da Mouse, or Tanker, or BBI if there was a problem, it would be taken care of and I wouldnt be left hanging. (and why I wont deal with a "no post" site supporter. )

Yeah, when I read his post I corrected it in my head to "My opinion is guns that have been used outside of the purchasers' control are worth about half of new price unless there is scarcity problem or some collector value involved." I personally disagree with that as well, unless it's a really old gun or the gun has issues. Don't confuse what you may have ended up paying for a used gun for the actual value of the gun.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    I personally love BST forums and have had very positive experiences in the past on a variety of sites.
    That being said,

A BST forum is by its very nature a buyers market.

Sellers that establish "rules" or "put their foot down" set the tone for their transactions.
    That sort of upfront hostility merely breeds contempt. The majority of paying buyers are professional adults who conduct themselves with integrity.
    If as a seller you find yourself dealing with a significant number of wankers, consider the source.
    Is your AO is flooded with that sort of ilk? Is the product your selling of genuine interest to less reputable persons?
    If option A is true, move them along or learn to like the company.
    If option B, then consider why you purchased the item? Are you one of them?
    Probably not, but hey we all need to do some soul searching, right?

Surely this whole thing is a non-issue right? If you want your asking price state that your price is FIRM .
    But if getting your asking price costs you precious time ignoring outrageously offensive lowball offers, oh well.
    I mean who really expects to post a used Glock for $600 and not get offered less?

-Steven

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    As I do all of my on line selling right here I have a process.

I know what I have invested and also what I am comfortable selling it for. I always loose my pants (optional) as my insanity to modify overwhelms common sense. If you buy one of my guns you will be getting a deal. Period.

I will attest to this. I purchased a firearm from Churchmouse. At first I asked if he could do any better than the price quoted and he politely told me what he had in it and I realized he was selling me a quality firearm at a very fair price (deal). I appreciate his approach and wish more people did things the way he does.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I guess some people think a low ball offer is asking to take $25 dollars off if I were to drive 120 miles or more to meet them.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I guess some people think a low ball offer is asking to take $25 dollars off if I were to drive 120 miles or more to meet them.
    I drove to Evansville to pick up 2 Sigs from a member, he had extra mags that he sold as a deal with the guns as well. After all was said and done, he threw in a couple of mags just because I made the drive! I had misread the price of the guns, and had given him more than asking, which he promptly corrected on the spot. Sometimes, a deal is a deal, and after not asking for special consideration on the price, the seller actually threw in $100 worth of extra!

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I drove to Evansville to pick up 2 Sigs from a member, he had extra mags that he sold as a deal with the guns as well. After all was said and done, he threw in a couple of mags just because I made the drive! I had misread the price of the guns, and had given him more than asking, which he promptly corrected on the spot. Sometimes, a deal is a deal, and after not asking for special consideration on the price, the seller actually threw in $100 worth of extra!

I have driven to indy several times before with no issues and even had a member here throw extras in because he couldn't find a few items. But I don't get how offering $25 under your price and offering to drive all the way gets a no thanks.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I made an offer yesterday on a gun that had OBO in the description. The item is two hours away from me. I offered about 10% less than the asking price to pay for my time and gas. The seller countered 5% off.

I explained that their last offer was only $28 less than new local, including tax.
    He said he was standing firm on the price, so I thanked him for his time and moved on.

I was supposed to be working on a report for work and kind of in a hurry when I was looking at the gun. After the decision was made by me to pass on the gun I took a look at the sellers profile. The guy is a flipper, I'm usually better about checking out a members profile before making an offer. I do not deal with flippers. I'm glad he didn't take my offer :faint:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I made an offer yesterday on a gun that had OBO in the description. The item is two hours away from me. I offered about 10% less than the asking price to pay for my time and gas. The seller countered 5% off.

I explained that their last offer was only $28 less than new local, including tax.
    He said he was standing firm on the price, so I thanked him for his time and moved on.

I was supposed to be working on a report for work and kind of in a hurry when I was looking at the gun. After the decision was made by me to pass on the gun I took a look at the sellers profile. The guy is a flipper, I'm usually better about checking out a members profile before making an offer. I do not deal with flippers. I'm glad he didn't take my offer :faint:
    how can you tell if someone is a flipper? Honest question.
    for me it's the guys who sell basicly at new prices constantly.
    for me, I always end up losing money. Very rarely will I break even or get more than I paid if I sell.
    i get bored very easily and like to try new things.

you gotta love the guys that have a checklist you must follow to be able to buy their item. "To qualify you must jump through the following hoops or sorry move on because this ass hat isn't selling you ****"
    for me that's an instant turn off. Not only do I not read their list, 9 times out of 10 their item is overpriced anyways although they think they are giving you a sweet deal. It's funny as hell

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

I often wonder that when I see ads for gen 3 glock 9mm in the $475-500 range.

are they just misreading the market? Or are they looking to make cash by appealing to the off the books types?

doesnt matter imo, cause unless you've bought every gun related purchase with cash, I'm sure big brother has it recorded somewhere

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have driven to indy several times before with no issues and even had a member here throw extras in because he couldn't find a few items. But I don't get how offering $25 under your price and offering to drive all the way gets a no thanks.

I've sold a couple of items in the classifieds, but have never bought anything. However, if I see something that I want to buy, it's not the seller's problem that I live 120 miles away. He wants what he wants for it. If he want's to knock $25 off the price, that's great, but he doesn't need to just because I have to drive a certain distance.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    how can you tell if someone is a flipper? Honest question.
    for me it's the guys who sell basicly at new prices constantly.
    for me, I always end up losing money. Very rarely will I break even or get more than I paid if I sell.
    i get bored very easily and like to try new things.

you gotta love the guys that have a checklist you must follow to be able to buy their item. "To qualify you must jump through the following hoops or sorry move on because this ass hat isn't selling you ****"
    for me that's an instant turn off. Not only do I not read their list, 9 times out of 10 their item is overpriced anyways although they think they are giving you a sweet deal. It's funny as hell

The person I made an offer to yesterday has been a member for 7 years and less than 130 post.
    But have the following post:
    Handguns, pistols & revolvers 176
    Parts and Accessories 120
    Want to buy 64
    long guns 13
    knives 16
    non-firearms related 38

Thats a total of 472 post in the classifieds section. 75% of their post are trying to buy or sell and the titewad won't even pony up to be a site supporter.

He is also selling at higher than new cost just like you stated in your post.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The person I made an offer to yesterday has been a member for 7 years and less than 130 post.
    Want to buy 64
    long guns 13
    knives 16
    non-firearms related 38

Thats a total of 472 post in the classifieds section. 75% of their post are trying to buy or sell and the titewad won't even pony up to be a site supporter.

How is this not basically an online gun business? Didn't think that was legal without an FFL. But hey, an Uber isn't the same as a taxi (it is), but what do I know? :):

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    How is this not basically an online gun business? Didn't think that was legal without an FFL. But hey, an Uber isn't the same as a taxi (it is), but what do I know? :):

I would have to say that, running a gun business is exactly what is happening here. The gun was listed for higher than retail at ZX Guns. The only reason he was cheaper OTD from ZX was because he wasn't getting sales tax.

My hope is to get as many people on board as we can to not deal with these type on INGO. The only reason they keep doing it is because they are successful.

aztec777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2016
    Reno
    For me, a lowball offer is not only the offer itself, but the attitude that comes with it. I am willing to negotiate with a reasonable human, but the guys that expect you to take their offer "or else" always get ignored and/or blocked. As for the guys that say they can buy it online for another price, I always ask for the website to make sure we are talking apples to apples. I have actually changed my pricing a couple of times in 25 years to adjust to the current market. Almost always it is a different model or the condition isn't there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Want to buy 64
    long guns 13
    knives 16
    non-firearms related 38

Yeah, to my way of thinking, if your number of feedbacks is 4 or 5 times your number of posts, that's a red flag right there. I've seen a lot of 51 or 52 posters with well over a hundred feedbacks. Even if they're all positive feedbacks, it's pretty clear what they're doing.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

Actually I considered addressing the off the books aspect but pointedly decided to not go there.
    And for Mister Mouse, I have no hesitation about his word. No slight towards anyone else, just never met the gentlemen.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom