• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hustlehard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Noblesville
    from the time you pull over to the time the leo reaches your window is plenty of time to secure you weapon and get the documentation needed for your vehicle, do what needs to be done and everyone goes home

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I would not inform the officer because I dont want to have an unnecessary reaction/confrontation from the officer. The only time I've been pulled over I did have a couple of handguns in the car. One in the center counsel, the other was in a range bag in the back seat with my gun-belt and holster on top of the bag, so I figured it was pretty obvious I had at least one gun in the car, and if the trooper wanted to know if I had a LTCH he would've asked.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    from the time you pull over to the time the leo reaches your window is plenty of time to secure you weapon and get the documentation needed for your vehicle, do what needs to be done and everyone goes home

15 seconds is not much time to unholster (or otherwise remove) a handgun and stow it. Furthermore, I imagine an officer seeing you fumble around as he's walking up to your car is going to be a little on edge when he reaches your window. Keep your license, registration, and proof of insurance together in an envelope that's easy to reach without needing to dig around in your glovebox, keep your hands on the steering wheel until he requests your papers, and keep your mouth shut.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN

I don't know that I'd be doing a lot of moving around, or "securing" anything. Most all of my friends that are LEO's have voiced serious displeasure at folks who do that... "ahead of time"..

This is another one of those "to each his/her own" topics. Simple......next time you see an LEO, just ask 'em about it...... :dunno:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I imagine an officer seeing you fumble around as he's walking up to your car is going to be a little on edge when he reaches your window. Keep your license, registration, and proof of insurance together in an envelope that's easy to reach without needing to dig around in your glovebox, keep your hands on the steering wheel until he requests your papers, and keep your mouth shut.

:+1:

This is another one of those "to each his/her own" topics. Simple......next time you see an LEO, just ask 'em about it...... :dunno:

It's too bad Indiana doesn't have any, like, courses, to like, educate drivers, ya know? Then they could, like, put that kind of info into said courses.

Last edited:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It's too bad Indiana doesn't have any, like, courses, to like, educate drivers, ya know? Then they could, like, put that kind of info into said courses.

Well sir, my response to that is not intended to insult anyone, but here it is anyway.......

Indnana does NOT require training to carry a handgun, yet the vast majority of follks who legally carry, also seek out and participate in training courses.

Indiana does not require drivers to be schooled in how to interact with an officer, when that driver is legally carrying a handgun. However, the absence of a code requirement, should in no way inhibit folks who legally carry from seeking out that information on their own.... just like they seek training. I offer a very short info session on this, in every one of my classes, and it's always been very well received.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    I don't (and won't) inform, will not say yes or no to a question about having firearms, nor will I hand over a visible pistol without clearing it myself first. Not to generalize, because many officers have plenty of weapons training, but my own firearms are safer in my hands than theirs, and if they wish to have them to run the serial, they can have them cleared and empty.

Even if it comes to that, and I give you my pistol, my BUG stays where it is.

Note: I have a lot more tact than how I came off in my post, and even being visible, no officer has ever asked for my pistol. There is no one more safe in a traffic stop by disarming me, but there is one more person who has lost the ability to use a firearm to defend himself.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well sir, my response to that is not intended to insult anyone, but here it is anyway.......

Indnana does NOT require training to carry a handgun, yet the vast majority of follks who legally carry, also seek out and participate in training courses.

Indiana does not require drivers to be schooled in how to interact with an officer, when that driver is legally carrying a handgun. However, the absense of a code requirement, should in no way inhibit folks who legally carry from seeking out that information on their own.... just like they seek training. I offer a very short info session on this, in every one of my classes, and it's always been very well received.

Just my two cents.

Your intro really threw me for a loop there. I was expecting to read something with which I disagreed, but I agree with everything in your reply. Glad we're on the same page!

It would be kinda nice, though, if that aspect had been mentioned in my driver's ed class. We had a cop come in at least one day (probably several), but he/they didn't say anything about guns. One could argue that it wouldn't be relevant to 15-16 year olds since they can't carry legally anyway. But, following that logic, they shouldn't talk about drunk driving either since they can't drink at that age.

I still remember tons of stuff we did in driver's ed when I was 15, and if they had talked about what to do when pulled over while carrying a gun, you bet I'd remember that, too. I'm glad that you, Jay, mention it in your classes; I think more cops should. Tell your friends, would ya? ;)

Caleb

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    At one time I would have informed the officer, but based on incidents that have happened to INGO members and reported on this site, and becaise of some of hte things written by some of the LEOs on this site, I will never inform that I am carrying except in a state that requires it by law.

If LEOs would like to know if I'm armed - as one on this site has written many times in defense of his fellow officers who disarm - they shoud get the law changed.

The actions taken by a few officers when encountering a legally armed citizen has solidified my opinion to never inform, and I'm sure many others have come to the same conclusion.

Boondock Saint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I don't think I would volunteer the information, but I would if asked. The alternative of either lying or sitting there in silence doesn't seem like a great idea.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I won't volunteer the information.
    I won't lie if asked.
    I remember reading about a leo who posted (I don't remember where),"If I stop you and you've got a gun, you will be handcuffed and face down on the side of the road!" This was in a state that issued permits. I don't know if he was scared half to death or if his badge was just too heavy for him.

Doug

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The law does not require you to inform the officer, and if the firearm is out of sight and away from where you will be reaching, then no need to tell him. However, if he can see your firearm or the firearm is next to your license, or your registration and insurance, I would suggest letting him know so there isn't a misunderstanding. Police have to deal with some pretty crazy people, and the last thing you and the officer need is for him to think you are reaching for your weapon and acting accordingly.

So basically don't feel you have to tell the officer at all, but it can be prudent at times to avoid unnecessary confrontation.

Really, there's no better way for me to say it. :yesway:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I'm in the don't and wont' tell group. It is less hassle and less insulting to not be disarmed during a traffic stop.

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    And I absolutely appreciate that and would be pleased to advise under those circumstances. But here's my question: How does one know whether you are one of those guys, or one of those "other" guys (albeit the minority) that we always seem to hear those horror stories about?

You can do want ever you want, I was just telling you how I do it. Honesty is always the best policy with me (no matter what some Matlocks on this site would like you to believe). Dishonesty always turns out bad. As far as "all the horror stories" that you read here, again try to keep in mind the amount of traffic stops that occur in Indiana in relation to the amount of "bad cop/no donut" stories you read about.

Kinda like the Glock "kaboom" stories.

No matter what you choose to do, if I was you I would DEFINITELY not appear to be rummaging around in the car as I approach, and would DEFINITELY not appear to be "hiding" a gun. I take MY safety very serious. Thats my :twocents:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    You can do want ever you want, I was just telling you how I do it. Honesty is always the best policy with me (no matter what some Matlocks on this site would like you to believe). Dishonesty always turns out bad. As far as "all the horror stories" that you read here, again try to keep in mind the amount of traffic stops that occur in Indiana in relation to the amount of "bad cop/no donut" stories you read about.

Kinda like the Glock "kaboom" stories.

No matter what you choose to do, if I was you I would DEFINITELY not appear to be rummaging around in the car as I approach, and would DEFINITELY not appear to be "hiding" a gun. I take MY safety very serious. Thats my :twocents:
    :+1:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    First of all, you shouldn't be doing anything to cause the LEO to pull you over to begin with. If I was pulled over, I'd just think of how it would be if I was a LEO. I would want to know if there is a firearm in the vehicle. I would keep my hands on the wheel, and politely inform the officer that I have a loaded firearm in the vehicle. I feel that as long as your polite and honest with him, he'll be the same, and hopefully it will reduce your chances of getting a ticket too. And both of you are able to leave safely. I just think the LEO would appreciate the total honesty. All they want to do is keep you and themselves safe, and go home everynight to their families.

Top Bottom