• ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Why all the zombie hate?
    Doesn't anybody prep for werewolves and martians anymore?
    Yes, always, followed by flying monkeys, FIB's and then Liberal Zombies....................in that order.

As for work, even when I worked on the 27th floor of a twin tower, I knew multiple ways to get out of those buildings. In any SHTF scenario anywhere, I am breaking off from the crowd in the first few minutes. I learned that young, works for me.

PS in SHTF at work I also think it is entirely appropriate to not worry about giving your 2 week notice.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    guyguides-unconventional-breakup-world-war-z-movement-is-life.jpg

I figured this may be appropriate since zombies have been referenced

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If the SHTF while I am at work, I'm getting into my truck and forming a two-vehicle convoy with Madbomber and heading in the direction of our respective homes. He doesn't know this yet. I'd better call him and let him know.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Office in a high rise tower, more than 10 floors up. However I am 2.2 miles from home with several routes. While many of those go through Evansville's "urban" neighborhoods, not a big obstacle. Over the last couple years I have befriended a couple other folks in my building who live in the same general direction and are like minded. Note, I befriended them after seeing "zombie response team" and "ccw" stickers on their cars. We all have light GHBs and have a loose agreement to convoy or travel together if the case warrants.

For me an earthquake is the most frightening scenario. Downtown Evansville has very sandy soil with a high water table. Liquifaction will be severe. Heck, I may be able to step out of my office window if the building settles enough. To evac the building I have scouted a little for alternative routes to the regular stairwells and have a small bag with filter masks, gloves, goggles and a hard hat. It may sound extreme but I had the stuff laying around and if I have to walk out of a damaged building I want a little protection.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If the SHTF while I am at work, I'm getting into my truck and forming a two-vehicle convoy with Madbomber and heading in the direction of our respective homes. He doesn't know this yet. I'd better call him and let him know.

Good idea...He may misread your intentions and you all end up taking each other out......:):

Good question though....I work at my gun shop and I think after I sell every gun in the first hour of SHTF I will meet up with the wife and daughter and head to the Love Shack in the country........

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Good idea...He may misread your intentions and you all end up taking each other out......:):

Good question though....I work at my gun shop and I think after I sell every gun in the first hour of SHTF I will meet up with the wife and daughter and head to the Love Shack in the country........

:laugh::laugh: i have a feeling prices would skyrocket once SHTF

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg

Pretty sure he misreads everything I say, write, think, and do. Hah!

I don't misread EVERYTHING! Just because I'd rather cuddle than watch the world burn down, does that make me a bad guy???

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Well, for me I have a 50/50 shot of it being no worries or totally fooked.

I work from home half the time so if the SHTF while I was at home, I'd walk out of my office, pass the dining room and ask my family if they were ok.

If I'm traveling, it's gonna take a minute. Right now, I'm just under 1000 miles away in Maine. Can I drive the whole way? Will gas stations have gas? Will roads be cleared? If so, I can get home in 2-3 days. If not, I'm not coming home for months. So, I pack what I can (no firearms in this trip) and will do what I must to get home. In the scenario you're outlining, I'd say my odds are pretty low that I would make it but it wouldn't stop me from trying.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you can walk any distance at 5 MPH, you should train a little and start competing.

I am 63, 50 lbs overweight, manufactured knees and a bad back. I walk everywhere. People do have trouble keeping up with me. Mostly guys who have never been in the Military.

Ambling along is 3 or 4 MPH. What the Army calls a forced march is 5 to 6 mph. 30 inch steps. Briskly walking. Not hard to do. You walk at that pace for 55 minutes. Then take a 5 minute break.

Go for a walk sometime. With the intent of getting somewhere. Like your intent would be to get home and protect your family. You are going to walk well into the night. Catch a couple hours sleep sitting up somewhere and keep going. No reason to not cover 100 miles a day. Walking. With purpose. And determination.

You can cover a lot more ground than you think. I frequently walk 7 miles to a favorite restaurant. About an hour and a half. Naturally, I am not carrying a heavy pack....

Or driving a horse drawn wagon in the 1800's across an entire continent in 4 months or less. Ya gotta be on the other side of the Sierra Nevada mountains before winter. Right? A summer long walk across the continent. Thousands of people did it.

Nobody walks anymore it seems.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A) I mostly work from home. If SHTF, I may not notice until my Internet drops.

B) However, I spent most of this week in Wichita, KS. Quite the hike from home. If SHTF, I would be in deep S. Regardless how prepared I am, out-of-timezone travel could be rough in an emergency. Then again, I've driven home from the Gulf, overnight, during a hurricane. That was SOMEONE'S SHTF, but I decided it wouldn't be mine, and left.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Wife works from home 3 to 4 days a week but travels around Louisville on sales appointments. I work at the airport so she knows to meet up with me there if at all possible. We have a large diesel generator that will run for a week on its full tank. I keep a bag in my truck, wife has a smaller version, plus I have supplies in a locker.

Not worried about liquefaction there in the event of an earthquake, but getting home over the Ohio river is a whole different challenge should the bridges go down. There are places we know of where we can find a way to get ahold of a small boat near to where our house is on the opposite side of the river. The kid that drives knows if she cannot get home, to meet us at our church. Still trying to figure out what to do with the other one, at least his school is only a 30 minute walking distance to our house.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I am 63, 50 lbs overweight, manufactured knees and a bad back. I walk everywhere. People do have trouble keeping up with me. Mostly guys who have never been in the Military.

Ambling along is 3 or 4 MPH. What the Army calls a forced march is 5 to 6 mph. 30 inch steps. Briskly walking. Not hard to do. You walk at that pace for 55 minutes. Then take a 5 minute break.

Go for a walk sometime. With the intent of getting somewhere. Like your intent would be to get home and protect your family. You are going to walk well into the night. Catch a couple hours sleep sitting up somewhere and keep going. No reason to not cover 100 miles a day. Walking. With purpose. And determination.

You can cover a lot more ground than you think. I frequently walk 7 miles to a favorite restaurant. About an hour and a half. Naturally, I am not carrying a heavy pack....

Or driving a horse drawn wagon in the 1800's across an entire continent in 4 months or less. Ya gotta be on the other side of the Sierra Nevada mountains before winter. Right? A summer long walk across the continent. Thousands of people did it.

Nobody walks anymore it seems.

I agree with what you're saying here. There's a big difference between a sunday stroll of moving like you got a purpose. This last winter I'd throw on my pack and make enough laps to knock out the miles and I was just shy of that pace in heavy snow with a medium sized pack. On a nice beautiful day like we've got today, that pace shouldn't be a problem for anyone who would actually live through even the smallest SHTF situation.

jstiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Greensburg
    I live 7 miles from home and keep a SHTF backpack in my car. I try to have something for all scenarios in it, which is causing me to buy bigger and bigger backpacks :)

Top Bottom