• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I live 7 miles from home and keep a SHTF backpack in my car. I try to have something for all scenarios in it, which is causing me to buy bigger and bigger backpacks :)

I can appreciate that. When I was looking at a backpack for my trunk I put just about everything in it I could possibly think of. I'd much rather be in a position to take stuff out, than to need something and not have it. Currently, my backpack just has a new camelback water bladder and some meal replacement bars, but there's plenty of other stuff in the trunk that could be easily stuffed in the bag if it was needed.

jstiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Greensburg
    I can appreciate that. When I was looking at a backpack for my trunk I put just about everything in it I could possibly think of. I'd much rather be in a position to take stuff out, than to need something and not have it. Currently, my backpack just has a new camelback water bladder and some meal replacement bars, but there's plenty of other stuff in the trunk that could be easily stuffed in the bag if it was needed.

Yeah think I need to narrow down things to necessities rather than extreme cases.. BUT you never know what could happen! :draw:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I used to stuff every possible thing I could imagine into a backpack and the more I carried it around, the more I realized all I wanted/needed was the water. Even water isn't completely needed if you're walking 10 miles or less. Sure it'd be nice to have, but it's not like it'd kill most people to walk 10 miles without a little sip of water.

Don't get me wrong though, I like having blankets, an E-tool, wrenches, tools, tarps, MRE's and everything else in the back of the trunk. I'm just not going to be carrying all that junk if I don't need to. If it's time to abandon my vehicle, it's more important that I make it home quickly than to make it home fully loaded with supplies.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    I've actually thought about this alot. I work in IL and my home is near the border in Hammond. If something were to go down at work I'd have to traverse 30 or so miles, depending on the route. I also have to go through some pretty bad neighborhoods if I took surface roads. I pack my GHB with mostly water and ammo, with a few power bars to supplement the long march home. I also have a second location in IL that I can bed down in if need be, but it's in Chicago and I'd like to be far from the city if the SHTF. This has become a logistical problem for me. Probably going to need to rethink my routes and supplies too.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I used to work 45 miles from home...and was set up to be able to walk home in 3 days (if necessary) moving at night. Now I work from home...so all that's no longer necessary!

Our biggest issue would be our 1st...and at some point, 2nd trip to dad's farm with kids and belonging's! We have 2 trip(s) planned...1st is essentials and go...2nd is a trip back in the next day (if feasible) for extra clothing, food, etc.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I used to stuff every possible thing I could imagine into a backpack and the more I carried it around, the more I realized all I wanted/needed was the water. Even water isn't completely needed if you're walking 10 miles or less. Sure it'd be nice to have, but it's not like it'd kill most people to walk 10 miles without a little sip of water.

Don't get me wrong though, I like having blankets, an E-tool, wrenches, tools, tarps, MRE's and everything else in the back of the trunk. I'm just not going to be carrying all that junk if I don't need to. If it's time to abandon my vehicle, it's more important that I make it home quickly than to make it home fully loaded with supplies.
    My primary gear is broken down into a couple of layers, each small enough to carry by itself, each can be combined with the other to make for a max load I want to carry, not counting water. Then there are a few empty packs I use for grab and go gear I may want to use for a particular day and those empty packs can also be used by a second person to carry additional water or gear.

My winter gear bag is a duffel with shoulder straps. This thread screams for some pics. I may do some tonight. I just took out all my gear this weekend so I could repack it.

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I've thought about this myself. I work 52 miles away from home, never timed how fast I could walk but anticipate I could make it in three days if things were really bad. My issue is if SHTF, since I'm an RN in an ER, how do I determine when enough S has HTF that it is more important to be home with my own family than with the potentially injured and dying. Don't get me wrong, my family comes first, but I've never been a fan of those that ran from their duties. Thoughts? Input?

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    since I'm an RN in an ER, how do I determine when enough S has HTF that it is more important to be home with my own family than with the potentially injured and dying.

If it were me, I would leave as soon as it became unsafe to be there.

I would guess that the hospital you work in has already planned for this but it sounds like you need to get a few personal plans put in place for this situation.

Here's a hospital evac guide from .gov
    http://archive.ahrq.gov/prep/hospevacguide/hospevac.pdf

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've thought about this myself. I work 52 miles away from home, never timed how fast I could walk but anticipate I could make it in three days if things were really bad. My issue is if SHTF, since I'm an RN in an ER, how do I determine when enough S has HTF that it is more important to be home with my own family than with the potentially injured and dying. Don't get me wrong, my family comes first, but I've never been a fan of those that ran from their duties. Thoughts? Input?

That's a tough one. For many people if the SHTF at work it only means walking away from a factory line, jobsite, or a desk. Walking away from people in need would be a gut wrenching experience. Have you considered additional supplies, comfort items for the trunk of your vehicle? I've seen some folding bikes that can be stored in a trunk. That will certainly help you make better time. Combine that with some means to communicate back to the house and let everyone know that you're ok or vice versa then you should be in good shape.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The most likely event around Indiana would be a tornado. If that's not enough S for your fan, you aren't paying attention. It is one event your work place should be prepared for.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    My response is assuming I know its not safe to stay at work and the situation is just as bad at home so obviously Im getting home asap. I work 2nd shift in a factory right off a highway. Theres only 15-20 workers here and I work by myself on a normal day. The place is fenced in but I have no easy way to get out of this city by car and then Id have a 20 mile drive home with only 2 route options with both being major highways so I going to get my GHB and start my preplanned route on foot and expect to get home in 7-8 hours depending on the situation. I have enough food and supplies in my small bag to be comfortable for a couple days. I pray nothing like that happens but that's and basic plan.

Craigery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    NW Indianapolis
    I work downtown Indy, it would definitely take me a while to get home - I take plenty of supplies with me, the hard part is getting out of the city. I have a very secret route I would take that I would probably go unseen. There are ways you can do that in Indy (secret tunnels)

Uglyducky

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    PA
    How do you define SHTF in this case?? Are we pretending there's going to be hoards of zombies out there like "The Walking Dead" TV shows or something? Are we talking about an EMP/Solar Flare and nothing electronic is working? Are you talking about 4' of snow in everyone is staying the night? Are you talking about a sudden outbreak of a very dangerous and easily spread disease? Are you worried about a Nuke plant upwind having a meltdown?

I don't think Zombies are coming so I'm not worried about that. If I needed to grab a bag out of my trunk and make my last stand saving the last bullet for myself I could do that.

If all of a sudden for whatever reason nothing electronic is working I have a bag in my trunk and I know the routes to get home. There's a summer route that's shorter and involves a river crossing, and there's a winter route that's another mile or two but won't give me hypothermia.

f there's a pile of snow that shows up and nobody can leave, then I grab a different bag out of the trunk and bring in some food & blankets to share with everyone who's stuck for the night.

If there's a sudden outbreak of disease I'm going to go home to stay there with my family till it's over. I'll be monitoring the regular FM radio and Ham frequencies to get updates on the situation.

If a nuke plant upwind has a meltdown I'll collect my family and get out of dodge asap. If we have time, we'll grab additional supplies out of the man cave and hit the road.

Basically whatever SHTF would mean that day, we'll deal with it and drive on. I'd also make a point to alert all friends and family to do likewise.
    Hahahhahaha. Well said

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I myself would take my briefcase to the bathroom, but exit with my silenced P226 and a couple spare mags and make my way to a safe place. Unless we were talking about a tornado because then I'd just stay in the bathroom.

Top Bottom