• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Most know I'm a fan of Glocks but I can also highly recommend the M&P line (for what my recommendation is worth). They have their pluses such as the interchangeable backstrap and some prefer the flatter hinged trigger to the Glock trigger. I costs about twice as much to do a trigger on an M&P but all things considered they are a great pistol and from what I've seen lately ( if you are shopping for a used one) possibly you can get one a little cheaper than a similar Glock.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    CZ P09 Full size and P07 Compact (current non-duty labeled model). Awesome Omega trigger system, best ergonomics of any pistol period, and unquestionable reliability and unparalleled accuracy.

All other guns mentioned are American infatuations geared towards American shooters. The CZ75 is the pistol the rest of the world uses while they laugh at us for being so indecisive.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've zeroed in on two particular manufacturers, being the Springfield XDm series, and CZ's P-07 models. Both of these feel great in my hands, point naturally for me, and I've been very pleased with the fit & finish in both. I've tried many others... Glock, Sig, S&W M&P, Kahr, Walther, and Ruger (I would place Ruger a high 3rd on my list, I've had outstanding luck and fun with both the SR9C and the SR22). FNH is on my list of pistols to try... I've held several, but haven't shot one yet.

It's been said before, and I believe it's true, we're sort of in a "Golden Age" when it comes to firearms in general, and pistols in particular. There are sooo many really good choices. I'm still fairly new to ownership, I got my first pistol coming up on 4 years ago, and for me, it's all part of the fun.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    How about the Sig P320? One gun, plus other kits - as the FCG can be moved from gun to gun. I'm not speaking from any experience, as I'm a fan of classic Sig pistols. But this seems interesting to me.

^^^THIS^^^

I own a P320 full size and it has been flawless for 768 rounds. Stupid-easy to clean too, just pop the guts out and go at it. If you're considering the P320 line, this video is a half-hour well spent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyBfrf7iitA

I did a little write-up, too:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-review-range-report-warning-lots-images.html

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would suggest you give a serious look at the Springfeld Armory XD series of handguns. I own a 5.25 that I use for IDPA and USPSA shooting. I had a XDs that you have been a good carry gun - but I already had a Glock 26 and a Colt Defender for the same purpose. I find the SA handguns reliable, accurate, competitively priced, and have good resell value.

Love the Springfield line up.

Otis812

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2014
    IN-IL line
    I've got an assortment that includes Glock, Taurus, Sig, Smith & Wesson, but I have one line that I favor. I've bought most of the SR series of Ruger in stainless. I like the looks, the feel, and trigger pull of these.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've got an assortment that includes Glock, Taurus, Sig, Smith & Wesson, but I have one line that I favor. I've bought most of the SR series of Ruger in stainless. I like the looks, the feel, and trigger pull of these.

Bought an SR series Commander frame this week. I never "Like" the triggers so it will be on the bench tomorrow. Plan to run it on Sunday and see what they are about. It is the only "None" Springer 1911 I own at this time.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    as others have mentioned (if you don't like glock), the m&p line or Ruger lines are good.
    I'd also add: same sized revolvers -- like a s&w 686 with different barrel lengths, or a ruger gp100 w/ different lengths/features
    For example: a 3", 4", or 6" GP100, as well as the GP100 match champion all take same holsters and speedloaders :)

Top Bottom