What is the FASCINATION with people open carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    It's not really a fascination. You just see it as such because it isn't something you would do and don't understand it.

I do it because it is legal and most times it is just easier than concealing. There are other reasons of course such as:

-Faster access to firearm if needed.

-Criminal deterrent.

-Comfort.

-Education.

-Political statement.

Personally I don't really care if draws unwanted attention. In my experience 99% of the attention has all been positive anyway.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Carry the way you to. Let me do the same. Fascination no more a part of it for others as CC is for you. Support the right to carry the way an individual chooses. Your choice, not the government's. Period.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I've never understood people who do things just "because they can". Just because you can doesn't mean you should. An Idiot stated here on INGO that someone asked him if he was a cop. He got such a charge out of it he said was going to o/c next time wearing a suit so he could look like a detective. Is that it? Do some of these people want to look like cops because they don't have what it takes to do it for real?

Having seen many of Indianapolis' finest, I don't know if looking like a cop is a positive comment.

fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Are you talking about my thread? The plain clothes officer harassing me in McDonalds and lecturing me about wearing a duty holster, and carrying a Glock? Said I looked like a cop? I don't remember saying I wanted to wear a suit and look like a detective though.
    NOPE. Wasn't you. Someone who WANTS to impersonate. That's what I'm getting at.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Well that's good, I said I dress nice when OCing because it gives a better impression than dressing sloppy. Less of a chance of getting the MWAG call. I don't want to scare anyone.

:rules::mods: Oh yea and you're not allowed to call another poster and idiot on here :D
    I don't see a point in locking the thread though, just merge it with the OC argument thread?? :dunno:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It appears that these are the same folks that lash out at others when questions arise about CC or LTCH 'badges' or similar topics. They're pretty easy to spot 'cause there's invariably some 'shout' about "I have the RIGHT!"

Which is ironic 'cause neither the U.S. nor Indiana Constitutions say that, and the 'right' doesn't exist. But it usually boils down to that 'justification' because other arguments just don't exist.

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

- The 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, as ratified by the States and authenticated by Secretary of State Jefferson

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Dunno, maybe true 'cop wannabes'?

It appears that these are the same folks that lash out at others when questions arise about CC or LTCH 'badges' or similar topics. They're pretty easy to spot 'cause there's invariably some 'shout' about "I have the RIGHT!"

Which is ironic 'cause neither the U.S. nor Indiana Constitutions say that, and the 'right' doesn't exist. But it usually boils down to that 'justification' because other arguments just don't exist.

SOME claim "it's more comfortable", but that's not necessarily correct. Typically OWB is more comfortable than IWB, and that can be done just as easily CC'ing, as well as OC.

SOME claim "I can get to my gun faster", but that's been repeatedly been proven not to necessarily be true, either. What, are they having the 'showdown at high noon in Dodge City'? Talk about the 'cop wannabe' syndrome, LOL. :D

There's some other, even less viable 'justifications' made, and these folks appear to be pretty hardcore about 'proving' their perspective(s) is are 'right'. But the facts just don't appear to beat out the rhetoric. Doesn't appear to make a difference, as it appears their objective is to be confrontational at every instance, even when no confrontation previously existed. Oh well, every group has it 'nuts' and we have ours! :D

So, it usually comes down to the fact they WANT to OC. Which is fine, and the Constitutions are silent on the matter. But, there is no 'right' provided for it.

Despite the rants and rhetoric and derogatory commentary about 'cop wannabes', if ANY action could be labeled as 'cop wannabe', it would OC'ing in most circumstances. Much more so than someone CC'ing that wears an LTCH badge in case they inadvertently print or flash a pistol. FAR more so.

Personally, I could care less which way someone carries. OC to / from the range, while hunting, at shooting events, etc. all make perfect sense. Going to the local grocery store or restaurant just has the 'cop wannabe' appearance all over it, and they're perceived exactly as such no matter what rhetoric they try to elaborate to justify it.

As for challenges from LEO's or non-gun civilians, well, they're creating the situation, so I see no reason to empathize if someone is complaining or whining about it, as the case may be.

While I agree with their ability to OC, I also firmly believe they're NOT benefitting the gun community, or the greater community as a whole.

Of course, USUALLY the response to that accurate observation is "I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks or if anyone else cares 'cause I have the right!" Which really isn't accurate.

THEN they wonder why non-gun people want to take away their guns?

DUH... :n00b: :n00b: :n00b:

This whole post: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    littlebigman.jpg

It's hard to go snake-eyes if you don't open carry.
    That is one of my favorite movies of all times. Throw up 3. Why Hickok himself can't hit 3. Throw up 3. Well anyways...It is funny how this OC and CC thing keeps coming up over and over. I CC. That's my choice. If you OC that's your choice. It's that simple. What works for one guy, might not work for the other. I'm glad my wife doesn't get on here and express her thoughts on OC. She's too funny. I wish everyone OC'd.:twocents:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    That is one of my favorite movies of all times. Throw up 3. Why Hickok himself can't hit 3. Throw up 3. Well anyways...It is funny how this OC and CC thing keeps coming up over and over. I CC. That's my choice. If you OC that's your choice. It's that simple. What works for one guy, might not work for the other. I'm glad my wife doesn't get on here and express her thoughts on OC. She's too funny. I wish everyone OC'd.:twocents:

One of my all-time favorites, too.

I usually conceal myself, simply because I prefer the sneakiness of it. But I'll argue the merits of OC all day long because it's every bit as valid and reasonable a way to carry a firearm as CC, for just as many reasons, and an infringement on one of us is an infringement on all of us.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ok, since your fairly new to INGO, i will be nice and inform you instead of asking you to use the search function.......these types of states tends to spark a large amount of OC/CC debate.....for example.

Pro OC individuals argue that......
    1. There is nothing to move to get to there firearm, therefore a quicker draw time....
    2. It is a possible deterent to a criminal.
    3. to try to get the image of gun owners being law abiding and generally nice citizens.

Pro CC

1. Element of surpirse.
    2. Fear of being disarmed
    3. Doesn't want anyone to know there carrying or does not care much for encounters or questions.

You will find MANY, MANY of these debates on here. and it generally turns into a pissing match between grown men.

You may have a couple hundred posts on him, but he's got a couple years on you... ;)

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    There is really only one question to be asked. Why is it you feel the need to instruct others how to go about taking advantage of their rights?

Top Bottom