What is the FASCINATION with people open carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Are you talking about my thread? The plain clothes officer harassing me in McDonalds and lecturing me about wearing a duty holster, and carrying a Glock? Said I looked like a cop? I don't remember saying I wanted to wear a suit and look like a detective though.

heaven forbid bad guys think you were a cop and moved on to easier pickings...

IndyKiller82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Avon, IN
    I open carry when the clothes I am wearing allow me to open carry. If I am wearing a tucked in polo shirt with dress pants, it only makes sense to open carry as I am not going to untuck my shirt and look like a slob. If I am wearing an untucked shirt, well if it happens to fall over my gun then that is just how it is.

fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    There is really only one question to be asked. Why is it you feel the need to instruct others how to go about taking advantage of their rights?

Show me where it is specifically written down that it is specifically a right.

Can you?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Indiana Constitution

ARTICLE 1. Bill of Rights

Section 32. Arms--Right to bear

Section 32. The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State.

Edit: fw501 I do not personally OC. But I would argue that it is indeed a person's right to do so.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

Can you?

That's easy.

1. Do you have the right to carry a gun?

2. Does Indiana limit that right to a specific method of carry ?

(See the "shall not be infringed part in action???)

Cant believe your debating this and trying to pick a fight.

Do you have. Nothing better to do than stir up the pot ?? Unbelievable the lack of .... Never mind. I'm wasting server space with this reply. You simply cannot comprehend.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Please read the 2nd amendment to the U.S.Constitution before posting on a gun forum. The right to keep and bear arms is kinda popular here:patriot:

fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With a permit only, unless you wanna walk down the street with a long gun. It is a privilege to carry a hand gun in public, not a right.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    With a permit only, unless you wanna walk down the street with a long gun. It is a privilege to carry a hand gun in public, not a right.

384512-floodgates-open.jpg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

You don't stop do you?

Are you trolling?

I'm seriously OK with a temp ban. Might get one if I'm not careful.

It is our right period. Indiana's way of making sure we are a proper person (within the federal governments infringement) is to issue a license after a background check.

So.. Answer my questions if you aren't afraid. I'll nit pick all night until I get banned for all I care.

Do u even own a gun ??

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Can you?

Like the guys said, Article I, §32.

Indiana became a state in 1816. In 1820 concealed carry was prohibited with the exception granted from traveling. From 1820 to 1935 concealed carry was illegal in Indiana.

After Southern immigration into Indiana created problems in that Southerners brought their culture of rough and rowdy weekend behaviour north of the Ohio, places such as Speedway, Indiana banned concealed carry.

Concealed carry has traditionally been viewed as the behaviour of the low-life, shifty man. Concealed carry was banned in many states, including Indiana, as only criminals concealed their weapons. An honest man carried openly as he no had criminal intentions, unlike those shifty concealed carriers.

My question for you, fw, why the fascination with the carry method of no accounts--concealed carry?:dunno:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

Indiana became a state in 1816. In 1820 concealed carry was prohibited with the exception granted from traveling. From 1820 to 1935 concealed carry was illegal in Indiana.

After Southern immigration into Indiana created problems in that Southerners brought their culture of rough and rowdy weekend behaviour north of the Ohio, places such as Speedway, Indiana banned concealed carry.

Concealed carry has traditionally been viewed as the behaviour of the low-life, shifty man. Concealed carry was banned in many states, including Indiana, as only criminals concealed their weapons. An honest man carried openly as he no had criminal intentions, unlike those shifty concealed carriers.

My question for you, fw, why the fascination with the carry method of no accounts--concealed carry?:dunno:

Thanks kirk for the history lesson :yesway:

(Now... Gonna try real hard to not earn a 3 day vacation arguing with a JBT of a cop (IMO)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have never understood that fascination.
    There is no fascination. I OC out of convenience and comfort and that's it.

Why anyone would WANT to draw attention to themselves in that manner?:dunno:
    People draw attention to themselves all the time by doing all kinds of things.

I've read many posts by people who say they were "contacted" by Law Enforcement and don't understand why?
    We all understand being contacted, what we don't understand is continuing to be harassed after it's clear we're legal.

I for one DO NOT WANT THAT ATTENTION!
    Good for you, nobody is forcing you to OC. Carry however you want.

I also don't want any potential "Thugs" to know I have it either.
    Avoidance is better than a 'surprise' in response to an issue.

I would rather somebody see I'm armed and leave me alone than for them to target me and them to 'surprise' them by then pulling my firearm reactively.

I've never understood people who do things just "because they can".
    Skydiving? Skiing? Going for a drive through the country with no specific destination? All of these are examples of things people do 'just because they can,' so I'm not sure why you take issue with open carry but not anything else we can do 'because we can.'

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    I don't think we've ever heard this before... I'm glad you brought this up... You've shown us all the light and we'll all stop our 100% legal behavior to make you happy............ not.

An Idiot stated here on INGO that someone asked him if he was a cop.
    I've been asked if I was an officer before and the simple answer is, "no."

There are those that wish to be seen in a place of power and/or authority and it's not just limited to those who happen to carry firearms.

He got such a charge out of it he said was going to o/c next time wearing a suit so he could look like a detective.
    So maybe he is a tool... If I come across somebody who carries concealed and is a complete a**hat should I assume you're an a**hat too because of this one person and their actions? [In short: no.]

Do some of these people want to look like cops because they don't have what it takes to do it for real?
    Oh, I could apply and become an officer if I wanted but I much prefer working from home and spending time with my family ... the money is better too... Officers make what? $40~60k/year?

NOPE. Wasn't you. Someone who WANTS to impersonate. That's what I'm getting at.
    So you take issue with that person, and not everybody who carries openly.

I know a couple of people who have bought used ex-police cars so they could 'look' like they were the police... Why? I don't know - you'd have to ask them.

Maybe you don't get out very often but they're everywhere.
    All the more reason to carry however you determine appropriate. I won't tell you that you should conceal, or carry openly, but simply that you should carry if you're comfortable with it.

I'm not entirely sure why it concerns you so much what others do.

Others have covered this pretty well, even an attorney in this thread [whether you realize it or not].

No, it's called infringement. The government does all kinds of things that infringe upon our natural rights. Detainment without due process if the government labels you as a 'terrorist' for example... Have you looked at what our government considers a terrorist lately? Pay with cash instead of a card? Terrorist. Believe our government has overstepped it's bounds? Terrorist. Protest anything? Terrorist.

The constitution protects our rights, however, these days it doesn't seem to really stop the government from doing what it wants... That's a huge part of why our country is headed where it's headed.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka

Why bother? The guy obviously has an ax to grind and may in fact be a plant on our forum (use purple if indicated).

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I didn't know it now only says a right to keep and bear long-arms. Hmmm wonder when we all voted to amend that one.

I seriously thought the poster was actually wanting responses, but with the last few comments, I think the poster is just downright being ridiculous.

Top Bottom