• Total voters

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I voted "CLP."

On my Shield 9 I use CLP break free to clean, but I've been testing out a sample pack of frog lube recently as well. Not sure I see that big of a difference, if any at all.

One thing I do like about Frog Lube is that it doesn't run off the slide rails before I get the slide on. The CLP and hoppes always finds its way off the rails and onto the frame where it doesn't need to be.

I'd like to get a oil that is visually obvious in small amounts so that I can remove the slide and determine if I should add a small amount here and there.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I've had great results using whatever 15w40 or 5w20 I have left in the containers after an oil change. I've even used transmission fluid and never had an issue.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Alot of ATF in my cleaner. Along with kerosene, mineral spirits, and citrus oil. Makes it smell good, which, believe it or not, was the biggest complaint I read about it. Some people add boiled lanolin, I wasnt sure how much better that would make it, and where to even find it, so I skipped it.

I recommend saving some of the ATF and kerosene mix, before adding the rest, to use for an oil.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Most everything I oil on my guns, modern and flintlocks, gets bear oil. I buy it from a guy out on the East coast that renders it beautifully. Pale yellow color and translucent. $12 a quart and a little bear oil goes a looong way.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I just love the name of this...

1_1.jpg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Ballistol, Mobil1 0W-20, or Breakfree CLP. I've also used Hoppe's #9 as a very light lube. Not sure which is best...

Top Bottom