Whats your "funny medication side effect" ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    So were all at work today (I work in a Forensic unit at a state hospital) and we were talking about medications, and their odd side effects. This further led to our personal side effects we have had on medications. Got some laughs out of it (my personal favorite was one of them mentioned how she had got mad at Vanna White because she was being stupid about flipping the little card things on the wheel, this was on Wellbutrin).

My weirdest one was the weird dreams associated with Chantix. The dream/nightmare was that I was shot in the produce section of Marsh® Supermarket. I know its nothing real exciting, but just random as heck.

So lets hear it, what have your meds done that just makes you scratching your head? Oh yeah, no E.D. med talk is allowed!!!! LOL!

-MColford

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Old school Dricsoral (sp) would give me very weird dreams and make me extremely confused upon waking. My GF had some denatl work done recently and the novocaine made her loopy for a few hours.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    Ambien gets me. I take it because I have trouble sleeping. It makes me sleep walk and I also have a tendency to pee when I sleep walk. Well its not to embarrassing until you wake up, standing on your front porch, at 9 in the morning, peeing and your neighbor mowing his lawn watching you. It also makes me confused sometimes when I wake up and I dont know where I am. I may get up in the night and go fall back asleep on the kitchen floor or in the hallway.

When I first started taking it, I got up before I fell asleep to use the restroom. My wife described it as I fell asleep in the hallway while I was walking back to bed. She said she heard a big boom and came out to check on me. When she got out thier she found me in a ball on the hallway floor, still breathing but just asleep. She then threw a blanket on me and went to bed. The next morning I woke up really confused and asked her what happened and she told me.

I have a whole lot more of these stories to. So take this as a heads up if you ever have to take ambien. Take the meds and then go to bed and stay thier! Also hide your keys from yourself and make sure all doors are locked and the stairs are blocked off. Trust Me I Know!!

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I was recovering from surgery and the hospital had wifi which was great. I was going to be going to the 1/8 scale off road nationals and needed somethings but about two days after I got home, I found out I ordered about $500 in tires for my buggy. Looked back at the history and had placed the order one night while I was in the hospital and didn't remember. Great pain meds!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My worst interaction was when I had blood pressure readings like 60/30 and sugar readings like 37, but those weren't what I would call funny, so different stuff, I guess.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'm sure this won't be as interesting as most of the stuff that will show up here but if I have a cold and take Nyquil, it seems to have the opposite effect on me. It will help with the cold symptoms but I will be wide awake and extremely alert all night.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I take a med that gives me dreams about self mutilation. I must stress, awake I'm fully aware that it's crazy talk. It's just a dream, but it's rather unnerving.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I did the Chantix thing five or six years ago. I don't remember any details, but I do remember it did cause really weird dreams. Ended up only being on it for 3 weeks, gave me a headache that wouldn't go away.

GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    The Chantix dreams were the best. Vivid and startling enough to wake me. After the initial shock very entertaining.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    I'm sure this won't be as interesting as most of the stuff that will show up here but if I have a cold and take Nyquil, it seems to have the opposite effect on me. It will help with the cold symptoms but I will be wide awake and extremely alert all night.

Nyquil does the same to me. Anything thats advertised as sleep medicine wires me like a transistor radio...wont sleep for days.

Having that type of response is known as a Paradoxical reaction to the meds. They do the opposite of what they're supposed to do, hence being wide awake instead of sleeping soundly.

I've had a few hilarious reactions, one being that I can't take Barbituates of any kind, they make me talk and look like the old comedian "Foster Brooks". "Honesss ossifer...I'm not as think as you drunk I am...." And weeble/wooble all over the place.

Soma makes me wobbly as well, and I tend to plow into furniture, walls and door jams if I take that.

I liked Lunesta....I'd have the greatest dreams....I was always in some sort of Broadway production, like "The Music Man" or "Hello Dolly", and I was the featured star. They were great, and always in living color!

I had one Dr. prescribe a med for me, that my dog was also taking at the time. She prescribed me the same dosage, and I looked at her and busted up laughing. I then informed her of the situation and said I could probably handle a dosage higher than my 50 lb dog was on. For a different reason....but I sure did get a weird look from her when I told her that my dog was on the same thing! If you're dog is ever prescribed Tramadol, it's the same med as Ultram, a mild, non-narcotic pain reliever. Same med, different name.

I think the funniest we've had so far is our daughter on the med Toradol. She was given it once and zonked out on the couch, when she woke up she apologized all over the place, because... "I'm sooo sorry mommy, I didn't mean for my mouse to scare your pony!!". Ummm, she didn't have a mouse, and last I checked, I don't have a pony! She also thinks that we have Alligators living at the bottom of our driveway, and the drivers for FedEx, will "hunt you down and EAT you!" So beware of FedEx drivers...they may be potential Zombies! :D

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm not sure if it was the meth or the crack but man...I was stealing everything, couldn't sleep, swore bugs were crawling under my skin, and I lost a few teeth. lol crazy times

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Insomnia. I took something for a cold that was perscribed to me. I was getting 1 maybe 2 hours of sleep a night while taking it. I normally get 8 hours of sleep a night. Not fun is the only way I can describe it. I quit taking it after the 3rd day. I needed the sleep. I slept better when I had the cold and no medicine.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    OTC Benadryl, aside from helping my allergies and putting me to sleep, gives me strange dreams. Most recently, I dreamed that I was back home in Michigan walking along the highway when I killed a wolf with my flashlight (a Fenix PD30 that's always with me) ...why I didn't go for my pistol, or, at least my knife, I don't know. So, apparently, the wolf has a weak spot behind the head, right between the shoulder blades ...and all you'll need is a small flashlight! ;)

About 15 years ago I discovered that I was allergic to penicillin. Had no clue before that, and had taken it many times before for strep, etc. Anyway, went to the walk-in clinic for a sinus infection and they gave me a shot of it. Next thing I knew I was getting light headed, passed out, saw the white lights, felt incredibly at peace with everything ...then came to with the dr asking if I was still with them and the nurse with a bp cuff on my arm trying to get a reading. I remember feeling incredibly upset with the dr for waking me up out of the experience.

Not sure what they gave me when I got my wisdom teeth taken out years ago, but it was pretty incredible stuff coming out of it ...I'd like some more, please! :D

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Can't remember but it was for the flu, anyways it gave me kidney failure. Doc told me to go to the hospital and they'd be waiting for me and I walk in and go to the front desk where doctors and nurses are standing and check in. The Doc who was waiting on me, his jaw hit the floor because I actually was able to walk into the ER without help. :D crazy times.

The kidney failure was a side effect of another side affect of the meds: constipation. I didn't **** for one day and I got so full of it so fast it shut down my kidneys. I'm fine now but man that was a lot of fun :laugh:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    When I was in college I found a bunch of old antihistamines in a drawer and took them all with some vodka and bopped out to class.

About two-three hours later I "woke up" standing in the back of my comparative lit class going on and on about Robert De Niro's penis. Twenty some students and the prof were just staring at me with these looks of confusion. All of a sudden I realized that I was the guy talking and I just shut up and sat down mid sentence.

They sure don't make cold pills like they used to, that's for sure.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Multiple back issues---oxycontin.... Nuff said... :n00b:

lucky...my doctor keeps telling me I need to just stretch until it feels better. I've got multiple pinched nerves and disc issues. He wants to order a bunch of expensive tests (I don't have insurance) when some muscle relaxers would work much better. Had to see a doctor several years ago for back spasms and they gave me vicodin when 3-5 days worth of soma would have done a better job.

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    I had a 15 minute conversation with my xbox while taking some strong narcotics after a a surgery. My mom thought I was on xbox live talking to people until she discovered nothing was turned on.

ekbarnes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I took Lunesta and it made me hallucinate which involved the bed sheet talking to me. It also made me see bugs flying at me from the ceiling. It was intense! Haha

Top Bottom