When did you give your child their first gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    The biggest thing I can advise that hasn't already been mentioned, is to take it gently when at the range for the first time or two. This isn't so much for the OP, but maybe for anyone who may read this in the future.

Too many times I see parents take their kids to a range that has a lot of people at it. The parent already has high hopes for their kids to perform well, this is only amplified around other people. The kids naturally want to please their parents too, so they are already nervous a lot of the time. Again, this is worse if others are around. This combination makes for a parent who quickly become irritated/excited when the child makes a mistake (which is likely) and a child who may be a little sensitive to such reaction. It's imperative to remain calm. If they make a mistake, don't over react. Simply correct it in a calm manner, and explain to them how it was wrong (if they don't already know) or what they could have done better to improve. Getting excited, yelling, etc. often turns kids off from the shooting experience. You don't want this for their first few times shooting. :twocents:

THIS!!

I took my daughter to Atterbury on a Friday right after school in May. Range was EMPTY! We were only one there for a half hour. Then some guys showed up with a Mosin at the other end. Scared the living bejeezus out of her. She was ready to go home scared. I told her it was fine and urged her to carry on. Then some guys(on here actually) showed up with a 45 Colt and a 454 Casull and fired about 3 stalls over. We BOTH jumped when they went off but finally got in the hang of it. By the time she left it didn't bother her to the point of tears. She's been fine ever since.

Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    My kids have been shooting since they were 6-7. I just bought my 12 yr old daughter (oldest child) a Savage Mark II youth model. I think kids should go shooting as young as possible. Satisfy their curiosity and don't use a caliber that's too big. I shot a 12ga when I was 7 or 8 and was skiddish about recoil after that.

For me, the cricket is nice and small but I don't like the charging mechanism. It's relatively stiff to pull back. I prefer a more conventional bolt action simply because I want my kid to be able operate it without having to hold the rifle between their knees to get enough leverage to pull back the mechanism (all while loaded). Just something to consider. Rossi also makes a nice break-over single shot. A Henry lever-action would also be a good choice.

We we shoot my 10/22s a lot too but I want my kids to start with a single shot. I think it encourages accuracy.

ASD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Southside
    My first gun my father bought for me was 410 single shot shot gun when I was 9yrs old. I have since given the gun to my brother to teach his young kids how to shoot.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    my daughter at 5 (nearly 6) has displayed amazing fundamentals (better than some adults). She listens well and respects the BB gun. I am thinking cricket this year or next and lucky for her they do come in pink, i figure we can even get a Hello Kitty decal put on it.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I got one for my youngest when she asked for her own. I still haven't "given" my oldest her own yet. She is content to occasionally shot something of mine or my wife's. Each kid will be different.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I agree that it should be more about maturity level, interest in shooting, comfort level around guns, etc. My dad taught me to shoot at about 12 years old. I used a 22 first but wanted to shoot those big noisy guns he was always using. .44 and .45 target pistols. He loads his own ammo so would start me out with "mouse loads" and let me work up to his "elephant loads" when I was ready to handle the recoil. Loading lighter helped me get more comfortable with the bigger guns until I got used to shooting them. Now, .45 is my preferred gun to carry and shoot.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    At 6, my daughter got her Crickett. She is 9 now and chose the Henry youth lever over a 10/22 for her new rifle. My son is now 6 and left-handed, so my options with him are more limited.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I started with my kids around 10 with a daisy BB gun. Then at 12 my son bought his first gun. A .22 Benjamin Sheridan pump pellet rifle. Still has it but it is worn out.
    From there he transitioned through a Browning BDP .380 and a .22 LR Marlin. First 1911 at 16.

Daughter was a bit slower. She was a dead shot with all the guns her brother had but she was happy shooting his guns from about 10. She is 27 and carry's a .44 special Bull dog. Son is 31 and still a 1911 guy.

Grand daughter was 5 when I gave her a Cricket for Christmas. She has not shown the patience yet to shoot that gun. She has shown the her favorite color is pink so Santa is trading the camo Cricket she has for a pink one with a pink case. This spring we are going to the range.

Age is relivent. Get her the gun. Take her shooting when ready. JMHO

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I got my granddaughters a cricket when the oldest was 6. The younger shot it for the first time when she was 5.

I highly recommend using CCI Quiet ammunition for it. You don't need hearing protection and it is good for easing them into the bang.

sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I dont have any kids, but my dad bought me my first gun on my first birthday. There is a picture of him helping my hold up a marlin .22 on my first birthday. I say start them as early as you can.

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My daughter is just starting with her pink cricket and she is 5... we started with nerf stuff last deer season... but i bought her her first cowgirl gun when she was 1....lol 22lr bearcat.... wont be long and she will be playing cowboy with daddy...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I got my son his Crickett when he turned 5. He will be 8 at Christmas, and has only recently started loading/firing/unloading the gun entirely by himself. He has been able to fire and unload for awhile now, but lacked the dexterity to get a new round into the little hole in the breech, so I had to do it for him. That got to be a bit tedious for both of us, so I'm glad he finally got over that last hurdle.

The Crickett itself has been very reliable (although the bolt can be a little sticky sometimes) and is accurate enough if the shooter does his part (the boy put a center-mass hit on a piece of Bobcat steel at 211 yards with it this summer). Quality is decent (haven't broken anything yet) but the trigger is nothing to write home about.

If you're thinking about a Crickett, do yourself and your kid a favor and get a Savage Rascal instead. The Rascal has a feed ramp which makes loading the gun MUCH easier for little hands, and has the adjustable Savage Acu-Trigger just like the bigger rifles do. They are available in wood stock, or poly in choice of black or several primary colors. Price point is only a bit more than the Crickett, and I know a guy who can hook you up. ;)

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    At 6, my daughter got her Crickett. She is 9 now and chose the Henry youth lever over a 10/22 for her new rifle. My son is now 6 and left-handed, so my options with him are more limited.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

I bought my grandson a henry youth lever. It will shoot 22 short, 22 long and 22 long rifle. It is very safe and you dont have to load each shell by hand like you do on the crickett. I have a 10/22 and a 715T tactical that I was letting him shoot but he wanted to rapid fire. So the lever Henry is teaching him accuracy.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    My son was born in 1989. Got him a Daisy 22LR bolt action rifle for Christmas in 1990. He is named after Daniel Baird Wesson. I think I purchased his Lifetime NRA Membership before he was 2 years old. I have a photograph of his mom helping him shoot a S&W Model 63 when he was 2 years old. Started shooting in the Jr. Rifle Program at age 7. The day after his 18th birthday, he applied for his Lifetime LTCH.
    It all depends on the child's level of maturity and desire to go shooting.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Coming from a lefty, his options aren't limited, he just has to learn a little differently.

Top Bottom