Where are most of our bolt action rifles made?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lately I've been really wishing I had a good old fashioned bolt action 30-06 in a walnut stock. Something elmer fudd would be proud to own and pass down. Something that will get some dings and handling marks in a beautiful walnut stock. Seems to me like if I'm going for something like that I should also consider where the rifle is made. The rifles I'm thinking about would be the following:

Bergara Timber - I think made in Spain. This is the one I'm really focusing one.
    Winchester 70 - No idea on where they're made now.
    Tikka T3X - Not sure if they have a walnut stock model, but made overseas.
    Ruger 77 Haweye - Made in the USA.
    RemArms - Made in the USA, but I'm not chancing buying one until I hear they're back to where they once were.
    Savage Arms - Made in the USA.
    Browning - No idea on where they're made now.

I'm just curious where all the bolt guns are made and if I'm incorrect on anything I listed above.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I would add:

Howa 1500/Weatherby Vangaurd - Japan for barreled actions. Not sure who makes the stocks for the WBY?

The CZ 600 Lux also has a walnut stock but not sure how the new series of CZ is stacking up to the 550 series which is a stellar rifle.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Lately I've been really wishing I had a good old fashioned bolt action 30-06 in a walnut stock. Something elmer fudd would be proud to own and pass down. Something that will get some dings and handling marks in a beautiful walnut stock. Seems to me like if I'm going for something like that I should also consider where the rifle is made. The rifles I'm thinking about would be the following:

Bergara Timber - I think made in Spain. This is the one I'm really focusing one.
    Winchester 70 - No idea on where they're made now.
    Tikka T3X - Not sure if they have a walnut stock model, but made overseas.
    Ruger 77 Haweye - Made in the USA.
    RemArms - Made in the USA, but I'm not chancing buying one until I hear they're back to where they once were.
    Savage Arms - Made in the USA.
    Browning - No idea on where they're made now.

I'm just curious where all the bolt guns are made and if I'm incorrect on anything I listed above.
    The Browning rifle will be built in Miroku, Japan where most rifles and shotguns have been built since 1975 if I recall correctly. A few products are still built in Begium and the rimfire pistols are built here.

Out of your list I would look into a Browning A Bolt, BLR or a BAR in 06. Your grand kids will enjoy that rifle. If you want it to be special, find yourself a high grade.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I'm actually looking into the Bergara Timber series myself. Something about wood and steel is starting to appeal to me. Paired with modern parts like detachable mags and threaded barrel and I'm seriously considering a new deer rifle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm actually looking into the Bergara Timber series myself. Something about wood and steel is starting to appeal to me. Paired with modern parts like detachable mags and threaded barrel and I'm seriously considering a new deer rifle.
    I know the timber doesn't have a threaded barrel. The Bergara Ridge does, but it's not the same walnut stock. For what I'm looking for, I'm good with a flush fit, or hinged floorplate as I wouldn't want a mag digging into my back while hiking up and down hills.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Savage makes lefty stuff in walnut. Pops had a minty .30-06. From the late 70's IIRC
    Decent wood too.
    Unfortunately Savage actions are not pleasing to my eye, and I'm a righty.
    Old clean walnut sporters are getting silly in price.
    The detach mags for the old Savages are over $100 if you can find em.

I did like the 700 BDLs w solid panel cut checkering, mid 70's era.
    A Varmint model like that in .222 rem would be hard to pass up.

Time piece. We had a lot of chucks around back then.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Savage makes lefty stuff in walnut. Pops had a minty .30-06. From the late 70's IIRC
    Decent wood too.
    Unfortunately Savage actions are not pleasing to my eye, and I'm a righty.
    Old clean walnut sporters are getting silly in price.
    The detach mags for the old Savages are over $100 if you can find em.

I did like the 700 BDLs w solid panel cut checkering, mid 70's era.
    A Varmint model like that in .222 rem would be hard to pass up.

Time piece. We had a lot of chucks around back then.
    I've been looking for a new wood and steel .308 left handed rifle with detachable mags for a few weeks now. All the old stuff I've found had a significant mark up and most are for right handers. Hence why I've landed on the Bergara timber series. I'd like to hold one (even if its for right handers) before I buy to feel the action and get a good feel for it. Anyone know if someone with it in stock?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    IMHO proud to pass down, means something w decent figured wood.
    Maybe of a type not too common.

Again, Ruger #1.

That said, my do all .30-06 is a Steyr Prohunter. Kind of an oddball, synthetic so don't worry about field damage. But, I also have a #1 that's been hunted hard by prev owner and passed down to me.

I do like the single shot concept and my first two deer were taken with a Thompson Center Encore in 30-06. I really do like that gun, but it's stainless and synthetic so not that same walnut look and feel. I've thought about updating it with threading the barrel and I could swap out stocks to whatever I'd like. For what I've thinking about now it'd be something I'd take on a hunt out west or up to Alaska.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I do like the single shot concept and my first two deer were taken with a Thompson Center Encore in 30-06. I really do like that gun, but it's stainless and synthetic so not that same walnut look and feel. I've thought about updating it with threading the barrel and I could swap out stocks to whatever I'd like. For what I've thinking about now it'd be something I'd take on a hunt out west or up to Alaska.

I much prefer a falling block to a break open.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd still like to add a falling block to my herd, and I just wish my break open had an ejector, not an extractor.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I should also mention, I'm strongly considering a Henry Ranger in this but it's the only non-bolt action I'd add to this list. I like that slogan "Made in America or not at all", on top of them being a beautiful rifle.

Top Bottom