Where are most of our bolt action rifles made?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I'm sure they are really nice, definitely a step up from Tikkas but from what I've seen, they are approaching the low end of custom rifle range in price. If you're not married to the wood stock, the S20 is a very nice rifle and at current prices, one of the best buys on the market. You get a lot of rifle for $1200 or less.
    Just found a Sako 90 in stock online.....I guess for the price they are asking I could own two or three Bergara's.... Now I'm back to looking for a Timber series in stock locally to check it out.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I can't disagree with that. Its alot like old muscle cars. A new Dodge Hellcat would eat a hemi Cudas lunch. I would still rather have that 70 Cuda. When I was a kid in the late 60s early 70s Guns and Ammo was in the school library.
    I would drool over the Smith and Wesson 41 the Colt Gold cup. Winchester 52 ect. In my little kid voice I'm like Oh boy that 41 sure is keen...lol when I grow up......I have em now but I'm still waiting on the Hemi Cuda.
    Guns and cars have always been a romance for me. There more than just tools. Thay are memories. I think that's what the OP is after
    The holy grail of hemi cars is here in New Haven......1st production 1970 hemi cuda https://www.wane.com/top-stories/ho...an-looks-to-sell-car-possibly-worth-millions/

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My opinion go used American. Somthing from the 50s or 60s still made im Merica. Elmer Fudd would not be seen with a "Foreign" Rifle.
    Winchester or Remington would top the list. Even Browning if your spendy.
    Gotta go with this assessment. :thumbsup:

Sears sold some good bolt guns under the Ted Williams name. JMO.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    The holy grail of hemi cars is here in New Haven......1st production 1970 hemi cuda https://www.wane.com/top-stories/ho...an-looks-to-sell-car-possibly-worth-millions/
    I just picked that one outta my head. Could have been a 69Z28 70 Chevelle SS. OR a Ford Fairlane thunderbolt.
    But that Barber in New Haven truly has something. That shows what a car (or gun) can mean to someone. That being a Barber in Indiana not making a huge paycheck he kept that thing all these years when I'm sure he could have cashed out a long time ago

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Has anyone ever looked at Sako rifles? They seem to be the big brother to Tikka and I'm definitely interested in the modern features they provide. Specifically looking into the Sako 90 Hunter
    Oh yes. They are, nniiccceeee. Not sure I'd say they are that much better than a Tikka performance wise, but they do look much better. Of course you could always go old school Sako...
    exGYLK9.jpg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Gotta go with this assessment. :thumbsup:

Sears sold some good bolt guns under the Ted Williams name. JMO.
    Not a bolt gun, and I would hesitate to call it good, but I have a single-shot, lever action, falling block, .22lr with the Ted Williams name on it.
    I just thought it was unique.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Not a bolt gun, and I would hesitate to call it good, but I have a single-shot, lever action, falling block, .22lr with the Ted Williams name on it.
    I just thought it was unique.
    From what I can find, most of the TW’s were made by Winchester. Either MN #70, or New Model 70. -The bolt gun’s.
    Don't know about the lever guns.

Mine road behind the seat of my truck for about 20 years, never had to worry about a scratch or ding. Both were dead bang accurate with not expensive scopes, a 30-06 or .270.

Cite: Fjestad’s 43rd Ed. (There is a store brand cross reference in the back).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got a chance over the weekend to handle a Winchester 70 Featherweight at a Cabelas and I was impressed. The action was fairly smooth, the rifle was light and the wood was beautiful.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just for giggles I’d like to add another option for a knock around bolt gun.

The tried and true Remington mod. 788. No longer in production but still (I believe) the fastest lock time ever produced. Lot of calibers, not expensive, moderately available on the second hand market. A very good gun overall.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county

The tried and true Remington mod. 788. No longer in production but still (I believe) the fastest lock time ever produced. Lot of calibers, not expensive, moderately available on the second hand market. A very good gun overall.
    Rem 788 with wood that makes your pine two by four look impressive.

I have a 788 in 22-250 born on date I believe 1968. I seem to use it for winter coyotes as I have hunted them enough by then they stay out of 222 rem range. I have been tempted to spray paint the whole rig white. Shoots great for-as many rounds as I have put down the barrel. I guess I must use a bolt slower than some as I see no real difference It and my 700’s.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg

I'm fairly positive I ran across one of these about 4 years ago in a pawn shop chambered in .243 win, at the time I didn't know anything about it so I passed on buying it for $500. After I got home I forgot to look it up until your comment above. Guess that's my "great white buffalo" that got away.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I'm fairly positive I ran across one of these about 4 years ago in a pawn shop chambered in .243 win, at the time I didn't know anything about it so I passed on buying it for $500. After I got home I forgot to look it up until your comment above. Guess that's my "great white buffalo" that got away.

Like when I found an M2HB for $2500.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

I just accurized one for an Amish guy. They are a good shooter and affordable. His was a .308

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Come to think of it I gave one to my son-in-law a couple years ago, it is a .30-06. He has taken a few deer with it even in that short of a time.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    All the ones I have owned are beech but can be dolled up with a little effort. I have seen some that paint would make it look better, now that you mentioned it...

Ya, I was trying to stay with the OP’s wish for a “good” old fashioned Fudd-ish type bolt gun and these popped into my head.

At one time, I thought I would like to own one in every caliber they came in. But life got in the way. Didn’t quite get there. :dunno:

Top Bottom