Where are most of our bolt action rifles made?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Tikka makes several versions with a wood stock, the Hunter is their lowest grade wood model. It uses a nice but not fancy straight grain walnut. The Forest is the fancy model, a little better wood and a more modern stock shape. I've got a Hunter in 6.5x55SE that shoots well under 1 MOA with any decent ammo.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sako/Tikka are made in Finland and are damn fine rifles with butter smooth actions. A buddy of mine has a Tikka Superlite in .300 win mag. It's not a rifle you want to pull the trigger on more than once but it's got a very nice action and is stupid accurate

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a walnut stocked .30-06 bolt gun that I like a lot.
    It was not overly expensive and I bought it for field work.
    It is nice enough that I will be proud to pass it down, when I'm done using it.
    I don't know where it's made, but I'm guessing U.S.A.
    It has not been mentioned yet and I'm surprised.
    What is it you ask?
    The Mossberg Patriot
    Fluted barrel and bolt.
    Do NOT buy the combo. The scope that Mossberg paired with them leave much to be desired.
    The Patriot also comes in a synthetic stock and I guess the walnut stocks are harder to find.
    In my opinion, worth the search and effort.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Question:

Have you ever been to a pawn shop or a gun show. The bolt action rifle has been a FUDD staple since 1917. (I am now officially a Fud)

There are tons out in the wild for sale.

Browning Abolts and the older Safari models are a good/great choice. Still available new. Got my first one years ago when many old gun show guys would never drive a Japanese car watch a Japanese tv or shoot a Japanese gun. (They often moved them out cheaply) The japs bombed pearl harsor after all) They will most likely be the shining stars fit and finish wise and more accurate than the majority of shooter with less than 2k a year to spend on ammo.

Remington model 700 or model 7. Older models will fit your needs well. Will be as good as the a bolt and even with the trigger being is question I have never had an issue or seen an issue with any stock 700 triggers. USA or as I now call it FUSA. (Formally United States of America)

Savage model 10. A more budget version of the above. Everything just a little less than above except the accuracy. These are often true tack drivers. Also FUSA.

Why not a sporterized version of a military rifle. Many of these rifles have craftsmanship above the cost of the rifle in the world today. The hours to turn the from mil to sporter would cost what a custom 1911 would run you. You do need to know a bit about the rifles you are looking at to chose them off the rack at the store.not FUSA except the sporterizing unless it is not a Mauser

Kimber made a nice model 82. (FUSA also) look for KLACKAMUS OR on the barrels. Cooper is another. Neither of these will be cheap or highly available

There are many others but these will have parts available for years. Personally I think the late 1970's to 1989 gives a good blend of craftsmanship and very good machines making the product. (This could also be my age bias. Italy and Germans make some good stuff also.

Until the DNR went rifles on private land Indiana had tons of used bolt action rifles in racks in every gun store in the state. Not as easy now but look around. Get a used one take your time and the perfect one will call on you from a dusty rack at a gun store.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    You may need to try several before finding the right weapon for yourself. I bought a second hand Savage in .25-06 that would consistently clover leaf rounds at 100 yards propped on a sand bag off a shooter rest. At the time I thought that was expected from a rifle. After more time and purchases, I find that is not always the rule.

Then there is the new out of the box Mini 30 you see pictured by my name. Over $900 and had a trigger group that looked and felt like it was fashioned with a machette. I fixed that myself and it is one of my favorites now but not everyone would be willing to do that on a new purchase.

Remington isn't what it use to be and new Winchesters make me squeamish. The best out of the box lower end rifles now-a-days I find to be Savage and they even cater to south paws. The older rifles are where my hopes and expectations come from and the guys who bought these gems back in the day are sadly dying off by the droves.

I am with Snapping Turtle (though I thought his pic was that of a tick). Stake out some LGS's and prowl. Trade if necessary and go for the grand slam. And once you are done, ask yourself how many kids and grand kids you have...

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Sako/Tikka are made in Finland and are damn fine rifles with butter smooth actions. A buddy of mine has a Tikka Superlite in .300 win mag. It's not a rifle you want to pull the trigger on more than once but it's got a very nice action and is stupid accurate
    Yep. All 4 of mine (2 CF, 2 RF) are all sub moa with normal grade ammo, with match ammo they can be very impressive. These are 5 shot groups with Hornady factory ammo at 150 yards with my T3 in 223. Can't do it every day but the stars were aligned that day.
    SiqLOCx.jpg

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Where are most bolt action rifles made? IN A FACTORY BY SKILLED TRADES PEOPLE......lol......

Who buys a factory rifle these days? Build up the rifle that meets all your needs, do not settle for "close enough "

But if you must buy factory.... Savage!!!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My opinion go used American. Somthing from the 50s or 60s still made im Merica. Elmer Fudd would not be seen with a "Foreign" Rifle.
    Winchester or Remington would top the list. Even Browning if your spendy.

Reactions: Mij

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Lately I've been really wishing I had a good old fashioned bolt action 30-06 in a walnut stock. Something elmer fudd would be proud to own and pass down. Something that will get some dings and handling marks in a beautiful walnut stock. Seems to me like if I'm going for something like that I should also consider where the rifle is made. The rifles I'm thinking about would be the following:

Bergara Timber - I think made in Spain. This is the one I'm really focusing one.
    Winchester 70 - No idea on where they're made now.
    Tikka T3X - Not sure if they have a walnut stock model, but made overseas.
    Ruger 77 Haweye - Made in the USA.
    RemArms - Made in the USA, but I'm not chancing buying one until I hear they're back to where they once were.
    Savage Arms - Made in the USA.
    Browning - No idea on where they're made now.

I'm just curious where all the bolt guns are made and if I'm incorrect on anything I listed above.
    A used Kimber would seem to fit the bill the best. The wood stocked models had stocks ranging from really good to outstanding figure and they can still be picked up for a relatively reasonable price, depending on chambering. The action is on par with older Model 70's with one of the better factory triggers and fit and finish are a step above anything else for a similar price. They were also made in the US.

Tikkas are nice rifles made in Finland. I wouldn't call them quite heirloom grade like their cousins at Sako but its a lot of rifle for the money. They are nice shooters with one of the smoothest actions you'll ever handle.

It is possible to find a used Model 70 built in South Carolina with some diligent searching. They do not command the premium of earlier models, especially the famed pre '64 ones and can probably be found for less than current models are selling for.

Another US made option also requiring you to go the used route is the Montana Rifle Co. Model 1999. They are a Model 70 clone and the wood stocked models seemed to have pretty nice wood.

The Browning X-bolt is a nice rifle and far superior to the older A-bolt IMO. I wouldn't really call it an heirloom class rifle but they did/do have a wood stocked version. The action is a bit funky (3 lug, short but heavy throw) that takes some getting used to but the trigger is very nice and adjustable.

I believe Nosler's Model 48 is US made and at least used to be available in wood stocks. They are Model 700 pattern rifles and pretty spendy.

Ruger makes some nice wood stocked rifles in the US, especially some older models. They are built like tanks and without a whole lot of frills.

The CZ 550 is a workhorse similar to the Ruger in being built like a tank and not having a lot of frills. If you were looking for a big bore, I'd look here for a used one first. They can clean up as nice or nicer than the Ruger with some work.

Benelli makes some rifles with incredible wood. The R1 (semi auto) had stunningly figured stocks when they first came out for the same price as the synthetic stocked models. Now the Lupo (bolt action) has similarly stunning stocks that they charge a premium for. I can't say much about them other than they look kind of funky since this is one of the three models on this list I haven't handled or shot.

Remington and Savage are not heirloom quality IMO. Both would be toward the bottom of the list.

Bergaras are improved Model 700s with a reasonable price tag. I'd put them on the Tikka/Browning Tier but probably behind the Tikka.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My opinion go used American. Somthing from the 50s or 60s still made im Merica. Elmer Fudd would not be seen with a "Foreign" Rifle.
    Winchester or Remington would top the list. Even Browning if your spendy.
    I'd go used but not that far back. IMO, you're paying a premium for the romanticism of that age and to a lesser extent superior fit and finish. You're missing out on the accuracy of more modern rifles.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Has anyone ever looked at Sako rifles? They seem to be the big brother to Tikka and I'm definitely interested in the modern features they provide. Specifically looking into the Sako 90 Hunter

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I'd go used but not that far back. IMO, you're paying a premium for the romanticism of that age and to a lesser extent superior fit and finish. You're missing out on the accuracy of more modern rifles.
    I can't disagree with that. Its alot like old muscle cars. A new Dodge Hellcat would eat a hemi Cudas lunch. I would still rather have that 70 Cuda. When I was a kid in the late 60s early 70s Guns and Ammo was in the school library.
    I would drool over the Smith and Wesson 41 the Colt Gold cup. Winchester 52 ect. In my little kid voice I'm like Oh boy that 41 sure is keen...lol when I grow up......I have em now but I'm still waiting on the Hemi Cuda.
    Guns and cars have always been a romance for me. There more than just tools. Thay are memories. I think that's what the OP is after

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Has anyone ever looked at Sako rifles? They seem to be the big brother to Tikka and I'm definitely interested in the modern features they provide. Specifically looking into the Sako 90 Hunter

Dad had one that he bragged about. I think it was stolen when I was a toddler... not sure.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm sure they are really nice, definitely a step up from Tikkas but from what I've seen, they are approaching the low end of custom rifle range in price. If you're not married to the wood stock, the S20 is a very nice rifle and at current prices, one of the best buys on the market. You get a lot of rifle for $1200 or less.

Top Bottom