• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I've been seeing a lot of Colt and Kimber 1911's that are quite expensive. Do u get what u pay for or are u paying for that name.

Youre paying for the name. The very worst fit 1911 I have ever handled was a Colt Gold Cup. Worse than any Milsurp, even.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Me.
    Newer ones are just pretty.
    Others will Boo-Hoo this opinion and I am OK with that.
    If you are going to spend north of 1K look at Springfield TRP's or a used Dan Wesson.
    South of 1K look at the Springer loaded series. Damn nice guns.

I think I introduced my boss to you at the 1500. Can't remember, he might have been off buying AR parts. Anyway, I told him you like to live on 1911's. So he said he wouldn't mind having his worked on. He has 3 Kimbers, and I didn't have the heart to tell him your opinion of them.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You know what they say about opinions.

Mine is right. You couldn't be more wrong!

Last edited:

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    If your serious. Research the Colts. They are making some nice guns right now. They have also lowered there prices on many models.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sig makes some nice 1911s as does S&W in that $1000 area. Colt makes a solid and dependable pistol. But IMO, the fit and finish and added features aren't there for their price range. You are paying a bonus for the name, but that also carries through on your resale value as well, so you aren't really getting hurt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been seeing a lot of Colt and Kimber 1911's that are quite expensive. Do u get what u pay for or are u paying for that name.

Just a name these days......just a name.

I have had a few newer Kimbers and Colts that did not stay in the safe. Terribly disappointed in them.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    CM, what is your opinion of the Ruger? From what I've read, they are towards the top of the list in that price range ($650-700ish). I've got two Taurus 1911's (.45, obviously, and a little brother 9mm), and I honestly have few complaints. I'm getting the itch for a slightly nicer 1911 though, but not quite ready to spend Ed Brown, Les Baer, or Wilson money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree, but I have to say it is one of, if not the best fitted GI model I have ever picked up.

The 2 I have handled were very impressive but they were a lot cheaper than you stated Blythes was looking for.
    That was my only point about your post. The CZ MilSpec is a very well turned out piece. Trigger is a bit rough but may well shoot in. If it is indeed full of real metal parts and not the MIM bits it would be very easy to tune up.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think I introduced my boss to you at the 1500. Can't remember, he might have been off buying AR parts. Anyway, I told him you like to live on 1911's. So he said he wouldn't mind having his worked on. He has 3 Kimbers, and I didn't have the heart to tell him your opinion of them.

If he likes them I am OK with that as it is up to the individual to chose where to put his money.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Anyone have a bad opinion of kimber?

They can be nice guns, but for the money, they tend to be under equipped. Compare a Kimber to a Sig (neither of which, CM approves of) and the Sig comes out on top with night sights, better grips, front strap checkering and a steel (most of them) main spring housing. Kimbers can be nice guns, but when you end up adding the cost to set them up for EDC, they can get spendy. I know this first hand.

OP, for a budget of under a grand, there are some nice 1911s out there. My personal favorite is the CZ 1911A1. It's quality is top notch, begin built by Dan Wesson, and they run very well. They are an original M1911A1 style pistol, which means that there's no beaver tail grip safety on it and that it has the slide serrations just as they were supposed to be, being vertical. Those are running in the mid $700 right now new.

Another option is the Remington R1 or R1S pistols. Those can be had for around $550 to $650 depending on rebates and are a very nice 1911 for the money. Of all the 1911s I own, it's still the old R1S that makes me smile the most when I shoot it. One of the best bets for an entry level 1911 is the Springfield Range Officer series. They come in a bunch of different flavors and even introduced a stainless version this month. They are south of a grand by a fair amount and are highly thought of if you ever decide to resell it.

Ruger makes a good 1911. I've never owned one, but have shot them and they do what 1911s are supposed to do quite well.

Top Bottom