• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    There are several Gov liquidation sites that work just like eBay, just google government liquidation and you'll find theme say enough. I was looking at 5 tons the other day!

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Military HMMWVs that find their way into civilian hands are disavowed by GM. It'll be difficult to impossible to secure any repair or replacement parts for it. They're not supposed to find their way into the DRMO channels. They're supposed to be remanned if possible and mutilated and recycled if not.

That being said, try govliquidation.com and/or govdeals.com. Also, try steelsoldiers.com. They have a forum for HMMWV enthusiasts. They might be able to help further.

Cathy, this isn't entirely correct! I've personally ran a Motor T shop and delivered these to DRMO. Finding parts is also very easy! Body parts might be tricky, but engine parts would be easy. The recycle rate on HMMWV is a lot smaller the the other trucks! Most of the 5 ton variants have been replaced by now and the same goes for most of the HMMWV's, however a lot of those parts are still interchangeable and it's easy to keep a HMMWV alive for a longtime, even after they should've been replaced!

Regarding DRMO and HMMWV's it's been a while so maybe something recently changed, but like I mentioned, I took several to DRMO!

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    The guy near Bloomington (actually Unionville) sells on Ebay motors under the military vehicles heading. He is a friend of mine and deals in trucks, stock to full-blown custom crew-cab rear steer air ride monster-fied beasts. He does not get hummers, though he does occasionally get Unimogs. He usually buys 20 or more trucks at a time from on-base equipment sales.

His web page is C&C Surplus.

Dirty Steve

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    There is a large military vehicle recycler somewhere between Bloomington & Crane (I think). My neighbor bought his 6X6 there and he told me that this place was a wealth for military vehicles and parts. They do have a web site and sell bare bones to totally restored.

I'll certainly check that out!

You've proven to me once again that you have more money than sense. But I'll overlook that if you take me for a ride in it.

I also have more in my banana hammock than sense, and you can certainly go for a ride on that too.

If I were you I would look for an early H1 that has a turbo 6.5. The 6.2 NA motors are ok, but really lack the power to go down the highway. You can always make the civi H1 look just like a HMMWV and you will have a normal 12v charging system.

I appreciate the idea, i just can't wrap my head around a civi Hmmwv. I drove one once but it annoyed me that it had so many creature comforts. It was a rolling dichotomy. Though i see the logic, i just can't do it.

Good luck finding one local.

If you ask me, they are over-rated. Huge, unwieldy, under-powered, and they don't fit hardly anywhere (on or off road). The interior is incredibly cramped, and they can't even tow much. Sounds perfect for you!

If you got money to burn, why not, right? :D

That's just how i roll. I like my vehicles to be like me, huge, unwieldy, under-powered etc. I actually enjoy not setting land speed records when i drive places. This is just going to be a toy so it doesn't really matter if it's over the top.

Paris Hilton or one of them Khardashian gals?????:D

I asked who i'd have to pay, not who would do it for free.

There are several Gov liquidation sites that work just like eBay, just google government liquidation and you'll find theme say enough. I was looking at 5 tons the other day!

Booya often smells like horse farts!!! (quote that!)...and i thank you for the info.

The guy near Bloomington (actually Unionville) sells on Ebay motors under the military vehicles heading. He is a friend of mine and deals in trucks, stock to full-blown custom crew-cab rear steer air ride monster-fied beasts. He does not get hummers, though he does occasionally get Unimogs. He usually buys 20 or more trucks at a time from on-base equipment sales.

His web page is C&C Surplus.

Dirty Steve

I considered a unimog for a while after seeing magpul's unimog pimped by couch off-road

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smolAx7NKm8[/ame]

but those are getting super expensive for even ones made in the 60's. Essentially what do you have?... a john deere tractor that had unprotected sex with a minivan or shortbus. I have seen your guy's listings though and almost sent him an email about an old unimog radio truck that could be turned into a go anywhere shaggin wagon. I think the price was 26K or so. I ended up not having the balls.

I've met all of them, and i gotta say, their customer service went above and beyond what i'm used to at any car dealership. They really wanted my business. It may be unorthodox to meet someone in a truckstop bathroom to discuss car ownership but odd cars require odd tactics i guess. None of them had a hmmwv on site though and they all left before i could get further details...

The search has ended. I have found a guy on the east coast that'll do a frame off restoration. He said the hummer will be 90% brand new parts. New engine, new tranny (not dead tranny), new transfer case etc. The turnsignals and headlights will be the new generation LED's. The seats will be the high back comfortable ones, not the folding chair uncomfortable bastards. The only thing that stays the same is the frame and body which'll be blasted and repainted. The body is a hard top slant back. I'm putting my deposit down tomorrow and i'll be going to pick it up in about 6 months. Thanks for all that helped. Stay tuned for the "I'm better than you" thread that'll be forthcoming.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Is it bad I laughed a lot at this?

I included "not dead tranny" in reference to the dead tranny thread located below.

This thread is even more disappointing than the dead tranny one from earlier. Here I come in :popcorn: expecting entertainment on an unprecedented level and you're talking military vehicles :D

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/237262-vehicle_with_a_dead_tranny_what_to_do.html

I was initially planning on starting another thread and calling it, "I'm finally getting a hummer!" but i think i'll just keep it here. For those that are interested, here is the picture of the basket case hummer i just put a deposit down on.

picture.php

picture.php

The vehicle will have a brand new (0 miles) 6.5 diesel, brand new trans and transfer case. The whole thing will be CARCed OD green. It should look better than new when it's done. He stated there are no significant body issues at all. Much like a suppressor or SBR, i have a 5-6 month wait. Should look like this when it's done.

th_6999e9e3c70b60793a54812452f0be08_dsc_267878.jpg

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The engine is already there. It's a brand new crate engine that never made it into a hummer. That is a good resource though if i have issues down the road i'll check there for solutions, and for that i award you points! Crap, just checked and i can't rep you as i repped you earlier for a valuable contribution. Somebody rep smokingman for me!

I do have a side question for those in the know...

Can you use a 10m/11m radio with the antennas that are located on the back? I know they're tuned for the SINCGARS system, just wondering if they're be any loss if i use a SINCGARS facia and put some CB/HAM/etc equipment inside. I should probably ask this in the survival part of this forum...

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Update: The body has been taken off the frame and both are getting a thorough power washing. Apparently they coat these things with a tar goo that protects the metal. In order to achieve full success it must be removed. I'll post pictures as soon as he sends them to me.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    Can you use a 10m/11m radio with the antennas that are located on the back? I know they're tuned for the SINCGARS system, just wondering if they're be any loss if i use a SINCGARS facia and put some CB/HAM/etc equipment inside. I should probably ask this in the survival part of this forum...

You can use the antennas with whatever you want. Keep in mind it is not designed for that specific frequency range. The worst problem I can see you having is reduced wave propagation (aka less transmit range).
    You could say I'm familiar with that radio system and installations. :D

By the way you really should rethink your subject title....

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I do have a side question for those in the know...

I bet you Rick could outfit that thing with radios that will let you talk to aliens.

Top Bottom