Why Are So Many Still Against Hemp / Marijuana ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    you told the truth on your application?

your about the only one, I've processed many and the most we did was call references
    A lot of employers do a background check on new hires. Anymore $10 can get you a person's whole life. My employer did a bacground check on me before hiring me years ago. Best to be up front anymore.

You know, I just read an article that noted that marijuana - related traffic accidents are up 100% in Colorado since legalization. There were a list of other "downward trends" attributed to marijuana usage, including the perennial "it's a gateway drug," "measurable intelligence loss," and "measurable decrease in work performance." Some were law enforcement statistics, some from medical studies. With alcohol, I can tell if a person is "under the influence" in the workplace; not as easy to tell with marijuana. And frequent users seem to become "abusers;" not being satisfied with using it on their own time, but using it while driving and at work as well.

I wonder if alcohol related traffic accidents went up after prohibition ended?

If we could tell if a person had an alcoholic beverage at anytime in the past 30 days, you know how many auto accidents could be 'attributed' to alcohol? Virtually everyone of them....
    No. Distracted drivers would probably be the lion's share of traffic accidents.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You're missing the point Jamil. Yes, distracted driving would be the true cause. But if Alcohol acted like THC and could be detected a month after use and detection of Alcohol that is no longer impairing your driving skills was utilized as a false "positive" to blame the traffic accident on Alcohol, almost every crash could be attributed to Alcohol. That's why these new "studies" showing spikes in accidents related to marijuana use are garbage.

If we could tell if a person had an alcoholic beverage at anytime in the past 30 days, you know how many auto accidents could be 'attributed' to alcohol? Virtually everyone of them....

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    If the statistics told us that traffic accidents occurred less often when alcohol was prohibited, would this be a compelling argument to ban possession and sale of alcohol?

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    A lot of employers do a background check on new hires. Anymore $10 can get you a person's whole life. My employer did a bacground check on me before hiring me years ago. Best to be up front anymore.

I wonder if alcohol related traffic accidents went up after prohibition ended?

Oh sure, but how many people involved in auto accidents have had an alcoholic beverage in the past 30 days? That's the point, they test for metabolites which do not indicate impairment. It indicates historical use.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    You're missing the point Jamil. Yes, distracted driving would be the true cause. But if Alcohol acted like THC and could be detected a month after use and detection of Alcohol that is no longer impairing your driving skills was utilized as a false "positive" to blame the traffic accident on Alcohol, almost every crash could be attributed to Alcohol. That's why these new "studies" showing spikes in accidents related to marijuana use are garbage.

A new study from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration finds that drivers who use marijuana are at a significantly lower risk for a crash than drivers who use alcohol.

I don't advocate the use of drugs, however I think it should be up to the states what the laws regarding MJ should be and the fed should stay out of it. I am just glad it wasn't legal when I was growing up because I can see how easy access as a kid would have been a bad temptation.

Last edited:

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    A new study from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration finds that drivers who use marijuana are at a significantly lower risk for a crash than drivers who use alcohol.

I don't advocate the use of drugs, however I think it should be up to the states what the laws regarding MJ should be and the fed should stay out of it. I am just glad it wasn't legal when I was growing up because I can see how easy access as a kid would have been a bad temptation.

the study cited in post #404 states that risk of auto accident doubles after pot use

the one in post #454 shows pot related accidents from 6% and 32% in the last few years (don't recall how many)

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm not reading this entire thread to see if this has been posted, so apologies if it's a repeat...

Here we go...

[video=youtube;A6c6eUeoa9Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6c6eUeoa9Q&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not reading this entire thread to see if this has been posted, so apologies if it's a repeat...

Here we go...

[video=youtube;A6c6eUeoa9Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6c6eUeoa9Q&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Yep. Not going to go back to find the post, but yep. that was posted earlier.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I thought only Jazz musicians were smoking marijuana. It never helped my playing, it had the opposite affect. I never thought being a musician would be a worthwhile goal, I always viewed it as a hobby. Its next to impossible to make it anywhere. Then when you do, you are on the road non-stop with an obligation to a sh itty contract for god knows how many albums. I would sit in for friends every once in a while, but I wouldn't cut into their meager cut of the door.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I thought only Jazz musicians were smoking marijuana. It never helped my playing, it had the opposite affect. I never thought being a musician would be a worthwhile goal, I always viewed it as a hobby. Its next to impossible to make it anywhere. Then when you do, you are on the road non-stop with an obligation to a sh itty contract for god knows how many albums. I would sit in for friends every once in a while, but I wouldn't cut into their meager cut of the door.

I'd guess that the really successful Jazz musicians would have been successful either way. Likewise, the unsuccessful ones probably weren't hindered by not smoking pot.

I don't think any reputable study has ever concluded that real talent is amplified by THC. But then it's hard to think of a "Standards" Jazz artist who wasn't into that. Well, maybe David Brubeck, but in his early days people probably thought he was on something. Paul Desmond was definitely on something. But his improvisational skills would probably have been unmatched either way.

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    the politicians "doing right" is evidenced by the population that elects them to represent their interests

(the ballot box is the term limit)

apparently the majority of the population as evidenced by the representatives (not some poll of 500 people in one area of a liberal city) disagrees with you.

now you have to determine if your opinion of them "doing right" is the determining factor for 320 million people.

I suggest you run for office

And that's why we're supposed to have a constitutionally limited government. So that 320 million morons can't decide what is "right". Federal govt has no business banning or regulating drugs.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

But Brawner told FoxNews.com Friday his comments got “twisted out of proportion,” although he did not deny relocating to the Myrtle Beach area, where smoking pot is still illegal.

“They had an agenda. They got what they wanted and not what they heard,” he said.

The article you linked says that the statements were twisted to support an anti pot agenda. Even the articles you post do not support your argument.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Brawner, who ran Little Spider Creations out of an old Denver warehouse for years until this month, told KUSA-TVThursday he moved because pot was hurting his company. He said employees started to come to work stoned after the state legalized the drug for recreational use in 2012.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The main reason we pulled out was because of marijuana,” Brawner said. “Marijuana got into our industry. Half the sculptors will come in high. As soon as we’d catch it, they’d be let go. We went through 25 sculptors. Only five of (our sculptors) either were quality or would show up unimpaired.”

Speaking to FoxNews.com, Brawner just wanted his marijuana remarks to go puff.
    He declined to say how his comments, which were audio-taped, could have been misconstrued.
    “I don’t have anything more to say, not even to make things right,” he said.

Why not try reading the whole story instead of stopping when you get to a part that you seem to think you can make a semi-intelligent but mistaken remark about

Last edited:
    Top Bottom