Why did you pick a sub-compact vs compact (or pocket) for CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Of course the obvious answer is "it's smaller" than a compact ... or larger than a pocket gun.

After checking the several good on going discussions and doing a little research, the sub-compact hand guns (9mm in my case) are neither a pocket gun (expect for large pockets) nor really fill in for a duty side arm like say a "compact" Glock 19, Sig M11 etc.

Thus was wonder why and what sub compact you picked, how it is working out and of course since how you are carrying it fits in strongly, that would be of interest also.

If you decided against a sub compact and went with a pocket gun (i.e. Kahr) or a compact size gun, that would also be of interest. Note a 1911, even with the five inch barrel length really works as well as a compact double stack mag, in particular in an IWB where length is less of a factor (assuming you can still sit down).

A few common carry options:
    - Pants pocket carry (assuming causal pants), Khar fits better).
    - IWB holster with tucked shirt, this might be the perfect spot for sub compacts.
    - IWB holster with square tucked shirt, easier with sub compact but not a must.
    - IWB holster under jacket, nearly anything works ;-)
    - Exposed holster under jackets, shorter barrel helps
    - Jacket pocket, might be a reasonable spot for a sub compact

Gun Sizes for Reference:
    Length by Height by Width in inches - sizes are OEM and may be slide or grip.

Kahr - Pocket size or one size smaller than Sub Comapact
    5.42 by 4.0 by 0.9 with 6 rnds

Glock 26 - Subcompact
    6.29 by 4.17 by 1.18 with 10 rnds
    Glock 19 - Compackt
    6.85 by 5.00 by 1.18 with 15 rnds

Sphinx SDP Subcompact
    6.55 by 4.97 by 1.22 with 13 rnds
    Sphinx SDP Compact
    7.48 by 5.5 by 1.3 with 15 rnds

Thanks
    John

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For me, the only subcompact I have is a snub revolver. I pocket carry it as a BUG, plus wear it around the house. The weight won't pull my pajama pants down.

For my wife, weight was the big factor. A Shield in a Remora seems like its much easier to wear with a skirt than a Glock 22 is. She really liked shooting the Glock, just couldn't find a viable way to conceal it in her girly clothes.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My normal EDC is a Glock29. When I want to make a statement it's a Glock20.

If Glock made a 10mm in the size of the G36 I'd buy two. As it is now, when I need to be more discreet I carry the G36. I tried all sorts of smaller guns, the PPS .40, the Kahr PM45, and most recently the XDs which is proving to be an even better discreet carry gun than the others.

So, the G36 and more recently the XDs have become my BUG for the G29 or 20, OR they are my primary weapon for discreet times.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... a duty side arm like say a Glock 19, Sig M11 etc. ...

These are both classified as "compacts" by their respective manufacturers fwiw.

Part of the problem with these terms (ex. full-size, compact, subcompact, pocket gun, mouse gun, rat gun, etc.) is that they're relative, open to interpretation, and have fuzzy edges.

For a primary, I prefer something with a full grip, that can be concealed IWB 90% of the time, and is compatible with the magazines of its larger stablemate(s). I don't like not having a full grip and don't find it necessary to go smaller for the way I carry. So, maybe I'm following the adage of carrying the largest handgun that fits my lifestyle.

"Compact" handguns like the G19, P228, CZ P-01, etc. fit the bill sizewise.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    These are both classified as "compacts" by their respective manufacturers fwiw.

Part of the problem with these terms (ex. full-size, compact, subcompact, pocket gun, mouse gun, rat gun, etc.) is that they're relative, open to interpretation, and have fuzzy edges.

For a primary, I prefer something with a full grip, that can be concealed IWB 90% of the time, and is compatible with the magazines of its larger stablemate(s). I don't like not having a full grip and don't find it necessary to go smaller for the way I carry. So, maybe I'm following the adage of carrying the largest handgun that fits my lifestyle.

"Compact" handguns like the G19, P228, CZ P-01, etc. fit the bill sizewise.

We are on the same page, I was assuming an implied "compact" before the listing of G19, M11 etc. Thanks for pointing out that to be clear and limit the need for mind readings the word compact should be added.

Thus it now reads: "After checking the several good on going discussions and doing a little research, the sub-compact hand guns (9mm in my case) are neither a pocket gun (expect for large pockets) nor really fill in for a duty side arm like say a "compact" Glock 19, Sig M11 etc."

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I had chosen a sig P938 as my first "sub compact" on the principle that I could virtually carry it any time, anywhere, in anything. I started carry way back with a full size glock 22, and have since migrated to a USPc .40. IDK, I think the small guns serve a role but for me, I have found that the my "compact hk" blends in just as nicely as the P938 did. It is definitely heavier (thats a given) but I've gotten so use to it that I really dont notice it any more. Honestly, IMO I dont know why they coined the term "compact" because truthfully I wouldnt consider the glock, hk, m&p etc. "compacts" very compact at all. I guess they are to their "full size" brothers but IDK....just my .02

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I carried a P32, which is really a pocket gun, vs a subcompact for a good while. The closest things I've had to a subcompact have been Kel Tec P-11 and PF9's. Both seemed like good guns, but I just couldn't hang onto the PF9 and the P-11 was so thick I couldn't consider it a pocket gun, even though I made a nice pocket holster for it. My pocket gun needs have fallen back to my good old Smith 442. Yes, it's only a five shot .38, but its rounded enough that it hides very well, and I have 100% faith that it will function every time. Even with an autoloader that has been 100% reliable, I still dont trust them in the dirty, dusty, lint filled confines of my jeans posket!

Now, if it's too big for pocket carry, that leads to belt carry. I have little trouble concealing a Gov't size 1911, the slide isn't the hard part to conceal, IWB anywas, but it's the butt and the thickness that causes troubles. That is what has kept me away from say a Glock 26. it's only slightly shorter than my G19, and holds a good number fewer rounds, and is still the same bulk, so I've held off on buying one. The G36 does intrigue me a little bit due to it's thinness. I was kind of looking for one at a decent price and fell into a Kahr CW45 at a very good price. It's dimensions are all very similar to the G36, so we'll see how it carries after I get a few range trips in with it to prove it's function. I see a Kydex IWB holster in it's near future, for sure!

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    Because I'm small, I went with a Kahr PM9. First of all, while I carry it nearly everywhere I go, I hope to never need it. And if I ever need it, I can't imagine needing more than 7 rounds, because I'm going to shoot, probably **** my pants, and then run like hell. If the bad guy is any distance away, I'm going to start with run like hell, unless my family is present, in which case I'll have to put their safety first. The Kahr is small, ultra reliable, and I don't think I'll need more than 7 rounds (I can't believe I just said that!). I wear it in a Crossbreed Mini-tuck; very nice.

Last edited:

Bigbuck5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Arcadia, IN
    I have a Glock 19 carried in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. It is a nice compromise of size and capacity. I also carry a Beretta Nano as a bug in the pocket in a Desantis holster. If I'm going somewhere I need to very discrete, I also have a hybrid holster and mag carrier for the Nano.

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    The Kel-Tec PF9 seems to work well. Right on the edge for pocket carry in a "pocket" holster, but great in a one side shoulder holster (with bottom strap) under a loose shirt. I've tried "belly bands" O.K. for most, but I couldn't find a comfortable location such that it would stay in place (I do agree: comforting over comfortable, but both would be nice.). It seems to fit the same IWB holster as the P-11, and works great in a "tuckable" from Wild Bill's. Accuracy is not bad (it's not a Glock); likely I wouldn't want to depend on it for long shots (probably rare applicability in CCW anyway).

goldsmithr3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    I think you'll like the Kahr CW45. The grip feels a little rough at first, but really anchors the pistol. Trigger was great, if a little long. Recoil is .45, but not bad. Accuracy was right on (better than me). I tried it in an "old faithful holsters" kydex and leather combination, and it was "all day comfortable".

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I carry a NAA Guardian in 32NAA in my back pocket, in a pocket holster.
    For very discrete carry, a Seecamp 380 works for me, although it's an uncomfortable gun to shoot.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Starting to look like most everyone is using a single stacked the pocket size guns, compact (i.e. G19, UPS45 Compact etc) or full size .... not many sub compacts like the G27, Sphinx sub compact (or the CZ equal) etc. Looks like the sub compact is too large for many pockets and once you go to an IWB holster and untucked shirt (or jacket) than can carry the Compact or even full size. Thus leaving two areas that fit the sub compact with there small grip., an IWB holsters that you tuck the shirt in (little less grip length to print) and a larger pocket in cargo pants, large pocketed Docker clones, jacket etc. Of course any place a subcompact fits, the larger pocket guns also fit ;-).

402928ba937e1a55a10c91d3700505bf.png

Last edited:

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Size and weight does matter to me. I am a smaller person with small hands. When I first started carrying 5 plus years ago, Kahrs were the clear choice for me because of size, weight and reliability and accordingly I acquired the PM9. Since that time several other quality similar size guns have come to the market place. I purchased the Ruger LC9 last year and the Sig P938 earlier this year. All 3 have been completely reliable. The Ruger and the Sig ergonomics, to me, are better than the Kahr. The Kahr seems like a brick when compared to the Ruger and Sig, much like the Glocks. The Ruger and Sig has the three dot sights that I prefer over the Kahr sighting system. Also, to me, the Ruger and Sig has less felt recoil than the Kahr. And finally I am in the group that likes external safeties like the Ruger and Sig has. (Raised in a hunting faimily and hunting weapons all had safties and was in the military 7 years with all weapons having safties.) Thus after five years of ownership, I have sold the Kahr.

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Compacts are Jacks of all trades master of none. I was this close (fingers close together) to getting the SR9C but I decided on an LC9 because it is small, very slim and easy to cary. If I went with the 9C I feel it would be a compromise.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've recently traded my XDM compact for a Glock 19 because my XDM had a pierce grip extension so I can put my pinky on the gripe. Then I went and compared that set up to a Glock with it's standard 15 round mag...It's about the same size. Sure the Glock slide is a LITTLE bit longer but not by much so I switched to Glock.

Top Bottom