Why did you pick a sub-compact vs compact (or pocket) for CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    I open carry often and some places do not like it and I don't want to get anyone ticked off or have cops called. I have a backup .380 that I carry. IT is with me when I cant take my Colt 1911 commander like a Farmers market we like to go to.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    The size and weight of a carry gun does matter to me. I want to carry the best smallest 9MM available for the obvious reasons one for which one wants a small handgun. My first carry was a Kahr PM9 as it appeared to me to be the best available small gun 5 plus years ago when I obtained my license to carry. I did not pocket carry the gun as it was uncomfortable for me to carry the gun in that manner. Since then several other quality 9MM guns have become available. While the Kahr was infinitely reliable, I did not like the brick shape of the gun nor that it did not have a manual safety. I also did not like the sights on the Kahr. Last year I acquired the Ruger LC9 because of its ergonomics and external safety. For me, the LC9 is too uncomfortable to pocket carry but otherwise I love how the gun handles and shoots. A few months ago, I acquired the Sig P938. With a pocket holster the P938 feels good in several of my slacks and shorts pockets. I have since sold the Kahr and now carry either the P938 in my pocket or the LC9 depending on my mood.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    My G26 chose me, I couldn't walk away from the deal a friend was offering. First thing I did was put a G19 mag in it and a grip extension... IMO its too big for CC even without the extension. I CC a Kahr 40 covert or 308 Keltec depending on clothing, once the cool temps hit and jackets are the norm I bring out the larger framed G19 and yes sometimes the G26

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I CC a Kahr 40 covert or 308 Keltec depending on clothing,

That's some impressive CCing!

DSC09893.JPG

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I plan to get a Shield for really hot days and a .380 Bodyguard for working out. It's for obvious reasons that they are small and can hide in my clothes better

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Mostly, I pocket carry a Kahr P380 in a Recluse holster. So easy to always ensure I have at least a 380 on me that way, and it really has become the most comfortable carry method for me. For a pocket gun, it is surprisingly fun/pleasant to practice with at the range, which is a huge bonus for me when you are down to this size gun.

I chose that method for carry because it is the most easy for me to conceal no matter how I am dressed. There is no excuse not to be armed with this thing. Also, my work dress code has kind of forced me to this method. But now I am spoiled and don't like to carry IWB as much as I used to.

On weekends I will carry something larger - usually either my Shield 9mm or G26.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    I went with a Glock 27. I liked the versatility on being able to use an ankle holster or a IWB holster. Depending on what I wear, I transition between the two carry options frequently and I love em. Been working out very well for me.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    And I also carry my Kimber Crimson Carry Ultra too.. Plenty compact, but not sure it would qualify for a subcompact. This one is only carried in a standard leather holster but easily concealed

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Bottom line is most everyone is getting pocket guns for pocket carry or using a sub compact where a larger gun would fit (the FNX45 tactical can work in an IWB under Jersey). Thinking the answer is that there is not that meany sub compacts besides the Officers Model (no go for me due to health issues) and the baby Glocks .. which with a holster are interesting and fairly cheep (i.e. under a grand ;-) ... maybe for a reason.

Looks like coming back to pocket gun and maybe a ????

RFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    West side Indy
    i recently started carrying a .38 snub after years of subs. I have never needed to pull either yet but I feel more comfortable drawing and firing the snub from a pocket

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Glock 26 here. Tried to CC the 19, but I was conscious of it 100% of the time. The 26 is my companion. Not willing to go smaller, but I can always carry 16+ rounds in it if I want.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I carried a G27 in an IWB holster concealed for about 10 years. I still carry it when I'm in light clothing, but my EDC these days is a G30SF in an IWB holster. Of course, I'm a fair bit larger these days than I was when I started carrying the G27.

bhowell34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Greenwood
    I went with compact. I just seem to shoot it better than the subs. Maybe it has to do with managing recoil. I didn't have any issues with the compact being too big. I don't think I could manage a full size though. I'd just feel like everyone was staring at it under my shirt. Could be a mental thing

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    We might have something here ... do you change the slide also?

Would appreciate a photo and complete break down on what you did, spring etc.
    I had a full polish job, 3.5 pound trigger, but you can just trade out barrels. I did it, because I had the G-19 barrel threaded for my suppressor, but I like it enough, I carry it every day.

Top Bottom