Why did you pick a sub-compact vs compact (or pocket) for CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I'm a bigger guy, around 250lbs or so, and I carry IWB at around 8 or 9 'o clock in a Hooch Holster with a forward cant on it and its worked fine for me so far. I carry a G19, which some would refer to as a compact gun, and I don't worry about printing or anything at all.

I started out carrying a Taurus 24/7 G2, which is a full sized gun, and although it's doable, it's not practical for everyday concealed carry. I was going to go with the G26 but I like being able to have a full grip without having to buy pink extensions or whatever. Comparing the concealability of the G19 and the Taurus, the Glock is only a tad bit smaller. They both have roughly 4" barrels, but the Taurus is a tad bit longer and has more bulk than the Glock. The Glock is slimmer than the Taurus and has a shorter grip, which is really, at least for me, what sticks out and causes the gun to print.

Just my :twocents:

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I fear I may sound like my wife discussing shoes, but having a variety allows me to choose the gun that fits my attire for the day. I'm not advocating rotating through an armory though, as I feel whatever you deem your carry gun you should be well practiced with it. However, I like to have several go to carry guns in the rotation to best fit what I am doing that day. The two that are seeing the most time for me currently are my P238 and P239.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Compacts are Jacks of all trades master of none. I was this close (fingers close together) to getting the SR9C but I decided on an LC9 because it is small, very slim and easy to cary. If I went with the 9C I feel it would be a compromise.

Compromise? More like expanding options! You have the choice between a short grip with 10+1 capacity or a full size grip with 17+1 capacity. Plus the grip is all around better and the trigger is a million times better.

But with all that said I still wouldn't mind having a lc9 for a little deeper concealment while working. If only the sr9c appendix carried a little better...

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    In cooler weather, I prefer my Ruger 9mm SR9C, which I can cover with a jacket or sweatshirt. In warmer weather, like now, I carry a Ruger .380 LCP either in a Sneaky Pete or back pocket shoot-through holster.

riveraph

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Georgia
    I bought a Beretta PX4 sc 9mm in Jan. It felt good in my hands the first time I picked it up. I have gone to the gun range several times since then firing about 60 rounds everytime. I do have good groupings with it but I need more practice to improve my shooting at 25 feet. I use an IWB leather holster for carrying my SC. It fits nicely against my waist and shows only a small imprint thru my shirt. This Beretta 9 mm is my first weapon and I feel darn lucky to have made a good choice at the beginning.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My EDC pistol still is a Colt officer's mod. IWB or once in a rare while a 'belly-band' if I feel I need deep concealment and I'm not going to move around a lot.
    I had a colt mustang for deep concealment but traded it for a Kahr CM9 that I sometimes carry IWB w/tucked shirt when I want deep concealment.

Top Bottom