• ...and so much more!
  • Why have you not taken trining?

• Total voters

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So the biggest reason for not taking training classes is ME. I am to blame, it's my fault, nobody else. If I can change my mindset and stop making excuses, then I can and will/would attend training classes. So how do I change my mindset? I haven't figured that out yet...............

-Travis-

There are several mental tricks you can use to help change your mindset. Recognizing you want to is the first part.

1) We do not have an internal "what X is worth" in our brain. We only have a comparison tool in our brain. If I ask you to price a bread machine, for example, you'd likely have no idea. However if I showed you three bread machines of various capacities, ease of use, etc. you'd have little issue deciding the relative value between them. So, do the comparison in your brain. "This class costs $100. That is 1/5th of a new handgun. What do I value? The ability to defend myself. The ability to shoot well (say the joy of seeing a smaller group on a target at 10y). Etc. Will $100 toward a new handgun get me closer to what I value, or will $100 of training get me closer to what I value?" and then really run the comparison. This will make it more concrete and is much easier than evaluating the cost of training in a vacuum.

2) Remove temptation. If you are buying handgun magazines, stop. They are one big advertisement written by people who understand how to sell you a new gun. Take a break from visiting the LGS while you save up. Avoid Gunbroker and the like. Avoiding temptation and avoiding envy (that guy's got a cooler gun then me, I'm losing!) will go along way. If you find that you simply can't avoid envy (and it's one of the hardest things to overcome), start watching some incredible shooters and revisit #1. Which outlay will make me more like this guy, a new gun or more training?

3) Remind yourself why you are happy with what you have. I do this with my truck every time I drive it. I'll do it out loud if I'm by myself, but since I don't want to appear nuts I do it in my head when I'm with others. I remind myself of the things I like about it. I like the power, I like the looks, I like how quiet the cab is, etc. I then compare it to INFERIOR things I've owned in the past. This is so much quieter than my old Super Duty. This pulls so much stronger than my old GMC. The stereo sounds so much better than my old Dodge. It sounds silly, I know. I'm as happy with my truck today as I was when I bought it 3 years ago. It's a treat every time I drive it. Do the same thing with a few favorite guns. Being more satisfied with what you currently own reduces the temptation to buy something new and dramatically reduces rapid cycling.

This works for many things. It's how I talked myself into putting 10% of my salary back for retirement, how I avoid debt, how I save up for medium term goals like vacations, etc. Comparison, temptation and envy avoidance, and consciously enjoying what you have goes a long way in making better use of the resources you have.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I voted other as well and can relate to what T-dogg stated with some things to add.

I would LOVE to take training classes but I am not familiar with where they are, when they are, or what is involved.

Welcome to the Tactics and Training subforum. Here you will find trainers advertising classes from all over the state. You will also find course reviews explaining what to expect in class, questions answered about gear, where to start, where to go next, and just about everything you want to know about local training. Read and you will know.

I also COULD make the time....but I have this internalized feeling that I may be persecuted for showing up with a 1911 and reloads.

You wont. I'vebeen in many classes and never seen anyone persecuted for choice of firearm or ammo.

Lastly...they seem expensive which honestly is the hardest thing to prioritize with buying a new house and having a new baby.

God bless
    -Shred

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Voted "other" and wasn't going to reply, but after reading 13 pages and having thick skin, here goes.
    Agreed, I don't know what I don't know, and in return, the instructor does't know what they don't know and certainly doesn't know what I know unless we have an evaluation process to see if the class is applicable for me to take. Does any of these classes offer pre-evaluation to make sure one isn't wasting their money and the instructors time? IMO, if the instructor hasn't experienced what they're teaching first hand, they are only repeating learned material, theory or a combination of both.
    I personaly don't want to attend any training but wouldn't criticize or berate anyone who felt as though they needed it, I just don't think the value is there for MYSELF, time, money or otherwise. I don't claim to know everything I need to know, I just see no value in paying someone to teach me SOME things I already know or worse, don't need to know. As stated in previous posts, there is no governing or sanctioning body for these trainers/classes and that to me is a very big deal and opens the door for many of the incompetent to file in with those that are quite capable of teaching firearms training.
    Bottom line, if ya want/need to take training, take it. It's just not for me. My firearm background includes military, self training and carrying a legal firearm for 30+ years without an incident, ND and I am still alive at the time of this posting.

Last edited:

BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana
    Jackson - Since I do think training is important and have had training I could not do the poll as to "why I haven't taken training". I do not know a single acquaintance that had had training beyond what is required in their home state to get a permit. Reasons are: time, money, don't think they need it. I suspect the time and money folks also don't think they need it. Just a guess.

Anyway, have you thought of a "why you decided to get training" poll? Maybe some those without training would see a reason they had not thought of.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Jackson - Since I do think training is important and have had training I could not do the poll as to "why I haven't taken training". I do not know a single acquaintance that had had training beyond what is required in their home state to get a permit. Reasons are: time, money, don't think they need it. I suspect the time and money folks also don't think they need it. Just a guess.

Anyway, have you thought of a "why you decided to get training" poll? Maybe some those without training would see a reason they had not thought of.

I would have to come up with some good options. I'm not sure I know what they would be. I would encourage you to put one up if you want.

Also, please tell us why you chose to take training?
    Maybe I'll start a second thread about that.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Thread resurrection! I'm still very much interested in receiving some training on handgun shooting skills, and have just recently been financially stable enough to afford a class or two to start at least. I still don't have much, but anyone who would be kind enough to sacrifice their time for a meager fee, I'd very much appreciate it! I am free most weekends.
    Pms gladly welcomed.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I find it hard to take the advice of trainers who have a born on date that was after my first formal training course :dunno:. And I really have a hard time wanting to give them money to teach me all they know...or 'how to do it right'...in their opinion...according to the latest fashion.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I find it hard to take the advice of trainers who have a born on date that was after my first formal training course :dunno:. And I really have a hard time wanting to give them money to teach me all they know...or 'how to do it right'...in their opinion...according to the latest fashion.

When was your first formal training course? When was your last?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    1968-2002

Still train personally and get regular range time.

I would venture to say career military then? That is fantastic!

We we get a lot of experienced veterans that sign up for courses. They all seem to enjoy the experience.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would venture to say career military then? That is fantastic!

We we get a lot of experienced veterans that sign up for courses. They all seem to enjoy the experience.

I've been in classes and competition with a lot of vets, young and old.

I have total respect for those who have served. That said, some of the worst gun handling I've seen has been in the hands of those who "learned in the military."

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You have more friends than me because you are so diplomatic.

No diplomacy. I honestly appreciate our veterans as well as our LEO friends. While there are a lot of similarities between military and law enforcement as it pertains to gun handling there are still differences in the context of a "civilian" carrying a gun on a day to day basis. The same can be said for those who are at the peak of performance in the competitive shooting disciplines compared to most of us who only get to range a couple times a month.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Friends, family, and other people I trust.

Let me rephrase...

What qualifications must one possess to be worthy of training you?

I don't have a dog in the race, but I believe you would be truly limiting your own potential by immediately discrediting any knowledge or skill someone may have to offer simply because of their age.

Top Bottom