• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just looking for reasons to keep (or not) my Diamondback .380. For anyone not familiar with these, it's a pocket gun. It fits nicely in a wallet holster or a pocket holster, but I find myself not carrying it when I can just as easily carry my CZ 82 IWB, even with shorts on. I also have a P 64 which I will probably carry if I can get the DA trigger pull down to where I'm comfortable with it. With the price of .380 ammo remaining higher than even .45 acp (for the most part), I find I'm hesitant to spend a lot of time at the range with this pistol. Is there a good reason to keep it, or should I sell? The only advantage I can see to its size is I can carry concealed when wearing my shirt untucked isn't an option. Discuss. :)

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    did you know the penetration capabilities of a .380 are rivaled by that of a 22 magnum? theres 1 reason. as you said, the ammo is crazy expensive- 2nd. and in my own beliefs, i prefer to carry only 1 dedicated handgun that i have mastered as opposed to changing them out every other day. if i think of more ill be back.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    did you know the penetration capabilities of a .380 are rivaled by that of a 22 magnum? theres 1 reason. as you said, the ammo is crazy expensive- 2nd. and in my own beliefs, i prefer to carry only 1 dedicated handgun that i have mastered as opposed to changing them out every other day. if i think of more ill be back.
    Those are good points. Both the CZ and P 64 are 9x18, which has a little more "umph" than the .380, but not a lot. However, the CZ is by far the most accurate handgun (and comfortable) I've ever shot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    On a related note, why the heck IS .380 still so expensive? Originally I assumed it was because of volume... a lot more 9mm (for example) is sold than .380. However with the surge in popularity of pocket guns, I would think that .380 ammo sales would have seen an increase enough such that volume wouldn't be as much of an issue. I would definitely think .380 would be more popular than 9x18 Mak, but the Mak is half the price. :n00b:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    On a related note, why the heck IS .380 still so expensive? Originally I assumed it was because of volume... a lot more 9mm (for example) is sold than .380. However with the surge in popularity of pocket guns, I would think that .380 ammo sales would have seen an increase enough such that volume wouldn't be as much of an issue. I would definitely think .380 would be more popular than 9x18 Mak, but the Mak is half the price. :n00b:
    how many people go out and buy 9x18 on a daily basis? alot more people have a LCP, or DB.380, etc.. gotta feed em to make em go bang. hope it helped.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    how many people go out and buy 9x18 on a daily basis? alot more people have a LCP, or DB.380, etc.. gotta feed em to make em go bang. hope it helped.
    Well that was kinda my point. The price difference must not be strictly volume-related. .380 uses less brass, less lead, less powder than 9mm, so why shouldn't it be cheaper? Makes no sense to me. So I'm taking it that yours would be a "sell" vote? :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You should keep it because it is a gun and you probably still have ammo for it :D
    I do... and have 100 more rounds on the way! LOL I do like the little feller... very accurate for a mouse gun, but I'm also utilitarian enough to think that if I'm not going to use it, why keep it? (Note: this thinking does not apply to old rifles/handguns/shotguns :): I have a hard time getting sentimental about poly guns though.)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Is there a good reason to keep it, or should I sell? /QUOTE]
    Here are 2 reasons:

1) The .380 is better than a bare fist.

2) It is an excellent dog walking gun when you dash out for a quick walk and **** at 1am and do not want to or can not carry a larger gun. See point #1. It carries almost as easy as a bare fist but you can't stick your fist in someones ear and pull the trigger.

If you keep it clean and it runs, range time with it is almost a non issue if you keep it to 6' and closer.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here are 2 reasons:

2) It is an excellent dog walking gun when you dash out for a quick walk and **** at 1am and do not want to or can not carry a larger gun. See point #1. It carries almost as easy as a bare fist but you can't stick your fist in someones ear and pull the trigger.

If you keep it clean and it runs, range time with it is almost a non issue if you keep it to 6' and closer.

^^^^This^^^^^

I taught my family to shoot with a .380 auto loader. Still have it and always will. It will be the pistol my grandkids transition up to from a .22 in their training. It is a tack driver and hi-cap so it will keep on hitting and enough hits will discourage most anyone.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Here are 2 reasons:

Also good points. Has my gun been talking to you?? :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ^^^^This^^^^^

I taught my family to shoot with a .380 auto loader. Still have it and always will. It will be the pistol my grandkids transition up to from a .22 in their training. It is a tack driver and hi-cap so it will keep on hitting and enough hits will discourage most anyone.
    Well, this one is only a 6 shooter (6+1), and being a pocket gun, it's a little snappy, but not horrible. So far I'm getting more keeps...

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Well, this one is only a 6 shooter (6+1), and being a pocket gun, it's a little snappy, but not horrible. So far I'm getting more keeps...
    I keep mine for a backup. Many times I grab my purse without strapping on the HK, at least I always have the DB. Had my hand on it ready to draw the other day. I knew it would do the job I needed it to do if the situation escalated.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Right now, my .380 is in a small pouch and the grab cord for that pouch has a very small, flat, very loud marine whistle on it.

The whistle works for the dog, as an emergency signal and to F' with the attackers minds. Most kids today have never even heard a loud whistle and it still stands out even today.

If you are using a .380, The S has Hit the Fan

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The only advantage to selling it that I see is to finance the purchase of a Taurus 709 Slim. The 709 is a bit larger but still easy to carry IWB (appendix or SOB) as a BUG and it holds 7+1 9mm. It adds one round and increases power, at least marginally improving your capability. I think the larger weapon is more reliable than a mouse gun. I have personally tried both the TCP and the LCP and found them unreliable, prone to FTF (both feed and fire). Thus, I opt to carry the 709 which goes bang first time, every time; eats WWB, Sellier-Bellot, and other cheap ammo; stays on target for even a weak-eyed, non-military trained shooter; and throws the stronger 9mm bullets at the BG.

Keep it, unless you can upgrade to a better BUG.

Top Bottom