• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i have a .380 pocket gun and i use it as a bug. some places its the only thing i have. i am pretty accurate with it, but i do not practice with it as much as when i got it. i take it to the range about once a week and put about 30 rounds through it, if im on target, i clean it and put it back in its holster, if not, i shoot till im comfortable with it again. once a month i run 20 of the sd rounds i carry through it just to make sure everything is well. its not a range gun, its not fun to shoot for extended periods of time, but it is a gun nonetheless. and yes, it does bother me that the ammo is so expensive.

edit: my vote is to keep.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DD, supply and demand is the reason ammo is more expensive. Do you need a refresher course? I don't recommend ever selling any gun unless it is broken beyond repair, but that's just me.
    Well, supply and demand made sense a few years ago, but as I mentioned in my earlier post, I think demand has increased without the accompanying reduction in price.

At any rate, it would seem that the overwhelming consensus is to keep it, unless and until I'm ready to upgrade. That being said, if I get my P 64 to the point where I'm comfortable with it, I may revisit the choice about the DB. Thanks to everyone for your advice and opinions! :)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If you have a CZ 82 and a P64 then the DB380 is just redundant. If you sell the DB you can use the cash for bulk 9x18 and maybe a nice set of wood grips for the CZ. Or maybe some night sights for the CZ? That would be using your money wisely. Why keep a gun that is already a backup to a backup. I think the P64 is an awesome BUG and the CZ 82 as an IWB is also a great gun. Sell it and reinvest your cash in things to make your already preferred guns even better.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Well, supply and demand made sense a few years ago, but as I mentioned in my earlier post, I think demand has increased without the accompanying reduction in price. ...

It still makes sense because people don't shoot these .380s as much as you might think. The little pocket guns aren't great range guns in the sense of being comfortable to shoot. I rarely see anyone shoot more than 3 mags at a time (approx. 18 rnds) through one at the range (which they don't do often), then they switch to something else and shoot much more (which they do much more often).

.380 also has a LONG way to go, volume-wise, since TWICE as much 9mm is mfg worldwide than any other centerfire pistol cartridge. Frankly, I don't think .380 is ever going to get to price parity with 9/40 due to the low volume of practice fire they typically see, the niche purpose of these guns and/or many of the newbies who purchased them graduating to something else.

Back to the OP's question, I'd keep it as a bug. The capacity of your primary carry is irrelevant from many perspectives; your primary could be taken away, your primary could break, or you might have a friendly with you who needs a gun when things go south and your BUG is a real-time loaner for the person watching your 6. And as you point out, there are some situations depending on required dress, non-permissive enviros, etc. where a tiny gun is better than no gun at all.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Keep it.

9mm may be cheap now, but that will not remain static.
    Tomorrow, something else may be cheap.

Kinda read my mind there. I was thinking back a few years, when ammo was somewhat scarce. It would be nice to have as many options as you can, in case you cannot find the ammo you regularly carry.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I say keep it. I have a CZ 82 myself and it's a great gun, but I'm lazy and sometimes I just feel like dropping something in the pocket instead of fiddling with a holster/belt and dealing with my waistband being a touch too tight.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Honestly, I would have labeled this thread "Are there ANY reasons to keep my .380"?

Ammo cost for what it is = bad to me. You can get a 9mm (or 9x18mm, as you already have done and know in this case) and get the same concealability. Like me personally, I have a dad whose opinion I cherish who swears by his .380, but I can't pull myself to carry it. It costs almost as much as my .45 ACP does and it does NOT have the same knock down power.

That's also why I'd rather wait for Sig to release the 938 than buy the 238 for the micro 1911 frame I want =P.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I do... and have 100 more rounds on the way! LOL I do like the little feller... very accurate for a mouse gun, but I'm also utilitarian enough to think that if I'm not going to use it, why keep it? (Note: this thinking does not apply to old rifles/handguns/shotguns :): I have a hard time getting sentimental about poly guns though.)
    I am sentimental over my guns.. I don't want to get rid of any of them but I will be liquidating some soon..

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I won't part with my LCP, I carry it in a pocket holster as well as OC in a Fobus holster. I am accurate with it and don't find it uncomfortable at all to shoot. Since it fits all my needs I will keep buying ammo for it. Really, 380 ammo isn't that much of a price difference than buying 38's.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks again to everyone for the replies. I reckon I'll keep the little bugger for now. I do hate parting with guns. (Until something I like better comes along at least!)

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have three different .380s (all Berettas - an 85FS, a 70S and a 1934), have no intention of parting with any of them, and am not seeking anyone's encouragement one way or the other. I like them - period.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I too have struggled with the idea of ditching my 380. Of course I had this problem after I bought a second one. I thought I would sell my two 380s and my one 45 and get two 9mm. Cheaper ammo was my only consideration. I kept the 380 for compactness and the wife really likes her PK380 and I like my Hellcat.

Do what you feel is best for you!

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    i'd keep it i carry a tcp .380 as a bug its pricy but can you realy put a price on protecting your self and family??

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Well that was kinda my point. The price difference must not be strictly volume-related. .380 uses less brass, less lead, less powder than 9mm, so why shouldn't it be cheaper? Makes no sense to me. So I'm taking it that yours would be a "sell" vote? :)

I'm willing to bet they make much more 9mm rounds than .380 auto?

boomboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2009
    Im pretty sure no country's out there issues a .380 weapon as standard issue in large numbers. Maybe Argentina but I doubt it.

Top Bottom