• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Here's a recent explanation of "Why so many?"... I've never owned a 1911 pattern gun. I've fired a couple and liked them, but I chose to stick with Glocks because they all function exactly the same and I know exactly what it will cost to buy and customer them. 1911's on the other hand are a completely different monster. I know that the customization of a 1911 only stops when the checkbook cries "PLEASE! NO MORE!!!"

I was at the shooting range on Sunday. The guy beside me asked what kind of Glock I pulled out of my range bag and I told him it was a Glock 20, 10mm. He said he had never fired a 10mm and of course I offered it to him with a full magazine of Underwood ammo and told him to hold on tight. When he was finished, he handed me his very custom STI Trojan 1911 in 9mm. The slide felt like it was running on about 40 ball bearings and the trigger was at about 3.5# with no creep, very short travel, no overtrave, nothing but a short crisp "boom" I had a white target with a 1/2" black dot in the middle at 7yds and pulled the trigger. There was nothing on the target. I missed the entire target. I fired 2 more rounds and hit the edges of the black dot. How did I miss the target completely with the first shot and hit so close with the next two? Upon further inspection, the very first shot with that pistol was inside the 1/2" black dot, I just couldn't see it. Now I am locked in hand-to-mind combat to resist the urge to buy a 1911, knowing that I would probably have as much $$$ wrapped up in that one gun as a bagful of Glocks. That's how it works. That's why it's never "enough".

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    One, there are different guns for different purposes. You could hunt sciurus carolinensis (squirrels) with a 12ga, but I want to eat them, so .22LR or pellet rifle. The 12 is good for odocoileus virginianus (white tail deer) due to our weird caliber laws in this state, or homo sapiens, as necessary. B, I do have various rifles in various calibers. Part of that is to familiarize myself with the order of arms for different types (AR, AK, HK, bolt, etc) and part is to have something available to fire any "found" ammunition in a SHTF situation. The same thing applies to pistols, even moreso. .22, .380ACP, 9mm, .40SW, .45ACP, the Ruger, the Sig, the Beretta, the Glock, the 1911, yadda yadda. Third, some of them are just fun, dammit.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Honestly, I have as many guns as I (we actually I suppose) do because I can. But also because I have a fair number of female friends who have expressed interest in getting into shooting and I want to have different types of guns for them to try. I love MY preferred carry gun but they might not like it as much. So I have multiple different 9mm's and even got a revolver specifically for this reason. My long guns are a little more task specific. Squirrel gun, deer rifle, shotgun with extra barrel, 30-06 because I believe that's a classic caliber my collection had to have. Personal reasons are all I have.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You can only wear one pair of shoes at a time, one pair of pants, one shirt, but I own several of each. You work hard, you enjoy the fruits of your labors as you see fit.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I've been reading several posts here & there seems to be a lot of people who have many firearms. I'm having a hard time understanding this. You can only fire one ( well two ) at a time. Why buy a firearm only to have it sit in a safe. That to me seems as bad as some of the classic car buffs I run into that have a bunch of cars that sit in a garage for no one to see. Obviously an old gun may be important for heritage or value. One wouldn't drive around an Auburn classic or carry a first model handgun. I don't think these people all have (Auburn's) in their safes. I have a .22 rifle my parents gave me for Xmas, a 870 shotgun that I have hunted with & now a carry firearm for personal protection. Why so many?

I take it you don't collect anything? Some people collect tupperware, some Avon bottles, some collect stamps, some people collect firearms.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've probably been out thought on my opening thread. Obviously there are different weapons for different purposes which only make sense to use the right tool. I really was speaking about people having multiples of the same firearms specifically for the same purpose. How can a person be profiecent with 6 different carry guns (3 Glocks, 2 S&W, and what ever else you may have)enough to guarantee dropping the bad guy. I would rather be very very good with what I'm carrying than trying to first figure out what I'm carrying & then how it shoots. I believe if I did have another back up. It would be exactly the same weapon

You practice with your carry gun all the time.

Doesn't mean you can't throw another in there.
    You may need to know how to work someone else's gun.

You may need to loan a gun out.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One, there are different guns for different purposes. You could hunt sciurus carolinensis (squirrels) with a 12ga, but I want to eat them, so .22LR or pellet rifle. The 12 is good for odocoileus virginianus (white tail deer) due to our weird caliber laws in this state, or homo sapiens, as necessary. B, I do have various rifles in various calibers. Part of that is to familiarize myself with the order of arms for different types (AR, AK, HK, bolt, etc) and part is to have something available to fire any "found" ammunition in a SHTF situation. The same thing applies to pistols, even moreso. .22, .380ACP, 9mm, .40SW, .45ACP, the Ruger, the Sig, the Beretta, the Glock, the 1911, yadda yadda. Third, some of them are just fun, dammit.

I would have to argue that your homos are in fact not so sapien, otherwise they would know better than putting themselves in the situation for you to shoot them with a 12 gauge shotgun! :):

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I give them the benefit of doubt until I have to pull that trigger, but they'll probably be on the wrong end of something other than a 12 anyway.

LARGrizzly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Dayton
    As they say variety is the spice of life. Some of us just enjoy all kinds of firearms, or will collect only Colt's, S&W's, ect.. Many variations to be had. It is a fun hobby to alot of us. Then there are some deals you run into you just don't pass up. Wasn't looking for a Rohrbaugh R9, but when a guy offered to sell one to me for 30 percent of it's value along with a huge box of 9mm ammo that was worth mare than I paid for the gun, sorry not passing that up. Plus that is a very unique and interesting pistol.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Gun+Guide.jpg

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I want a variety of different weapons. When stock market went down I nearly lost 1/2 of my 401k. I feel that this a tangable way to save money for my future. I dont know of any guns that go down in price. Also should a ban ever happen or bad times, I will have enough to outfit my family for defense. (Crazy I know).
    Also I love reloading and shooting.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've been reading several posts here & there seems to be a lot of people who have many firearms. I'm having a hard time understanding this. You can only fire one ( well two ) at a time. Why buy a firearm only to have it sit in a safe. That to me seems as bad as some of the classic car buffs I run into that have a bunch of cars that sit in a garage for no one to see. Obviously an old gun may be important for heritage or value. One wouldn't drive around an Auburn classic or carry a first model handgun. I don't think these people all have (Auburn's) in their safes. I have a .22 rifle my parents gave me for Xmas, a 870 shotgun that I have hunted with & now a carry firearm for personal protection. Why so many?

This Australian (or New Zealander?) sums it up pretty well...For me anyway...I know we have all seen this but maybe someone new will enjoy it....

[video=youtube;-TC2xTCb_GU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU[/video]

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Muscle cars and guns, I love America.:)

I have a line I use sometimes like the age old spouse question of "Do these pants/belt/dress/slacks etc... make my butt look big?"

I will have my guns spread out on the basement floor and the Mrs. will come down and I will look up at her and say, "Does having this many guns make my neck look red?"

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This Australian (or New Zealander?) sums it up pretty well...For me anyway...I know we have all seen this but maybe someone new will enjoy it....

[video=youtube;-TC2xTCb_GU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU[/video]

Ausies took almost all their citizens weapons away so the criminals would be safe.

Why so many? Why ask why?

I have some I like for their historical context, I have some to serve specific purposes, I have some because I like their caliber, others their function and purpose, I have them because I am free and can as opposed to the slaves in other countries.

I have 6 motorcycles, 2 cars a truck and a jeep, an RV and a boat...can't use them all at once, some I don't use much at all, so what, they're mine and I'm free to keep them and use as I see fit. Free people can do that until someone comes along to take the guns and redistribute the rest of the stuff as THEY see fit.

And as has been pointed out before...AMERICA! For now at least.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom