• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gino66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    SWIN
    Yes, mine from 1938...truly an awesome shotgun! prior to WW2, they were chambered in original blackpowder cartridge sizes. The early 16 gauge mod. 12's were chambered for 2 9/16-inch shotgun shells, the 12 gauge guns had chambers that were 2⅝" and the 20 gauges had chambers that were 2½". I found this out quite by chance, and the modern 2 3/4" shells cycle in my 12 ga fine.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Just a heads up. Never disassemble the trigger group unless you have to. Left hand threads and staked pins. Beautiful workmanship. Prices have gone down some for the plain jane models. The guys that really coveted these are now elderly. (Sorry guys) I often see the lower end models and re-blues at around $300 to $400. Personally see them as the best kept secret bargain. Good advice, make sure of what you have before modifying. Price can shoot through the roof depending on features.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I just delivered a skeet model for a guy.....what a nice gun. I currently have two 16s and a 12. One 16 and the 12 are 95%. The other 16 functions fine but the finish is rough.

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    If you happen to see an old Model 12 with a barrel that has been shortened to remove the choke you may get it for a very reasonable price. Then, if it has a nice shiny bore it could be a candidate for a combination defense gun, close range rabbit or bird gun, skeet gun, and deer slug gun. My experience with Model 12s is that most shoot the old Forster style slugs pretty well and the Brenneke slugs even better. I think that reasons they shoot slugs pretty well is because the barrels are rigidly attached to the receivers (interrupted threads) and the bores are polished, round, straight, and NOT backbored.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I forgot I made this thread! It ended up being a Winchester model 1200, and it shoots great! Very smooth action and beautiful wood. No model 12 but it's a good boomstick none the less. :yesway:

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Regarding shooting slugs in Model 12s, I forgot to mention that non-shortened barrels with cylinder, improved cylinder, and even modified chokes will often shoot slugs pretty well. Several years ago I helped a friend get into deer hunting with his purchase of a Model 12 with a 28-inch modified barrel. The outside finish was a little rough, but the bore was beautiful. And, the first 3-shot group at 50 yards was a tight cluster centered on the black bull target. No special sights were used. I just centered the front bead on the target and pulled the trigger.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Regarding shooting slugs in Model 12s, I forgot to mention that non-shortened barrels with cylinder, improved cylinder, and even modified chokes will often shoot slugs pretty well. Several years ago I helped a friend get into deer hunting with his purchase of a Model 12 with a 28-inch modified barrel. The outside finish was a little rough, but the bore was beautiful. And, the first 3-shot group at 50 yards was a tight cluster centered on the black bull target. No special sights were used. I just centered the front bead on the target and pulled the trigger.

That's been our experiance too in my family.
    Most of the Model 12's in the family are 12 gauge. Some are 3" heavy 12's. I'm the 16 gauge nut of the bunch.
    I saw a Model 1912 the other day. If I remember correctly that was the model designation thru 1917, then it changed to Model 12.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yes the M12 are very nice shotguns. I do not have one yet but I am looking. A family member sold acouple of them a couple of years ago. Two were sold before I found out that he was selling. :( The one he had left was a Trap that was very nice. I did not buy that one then but wish I did!

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    Great guns, built as an improvement of the Model 1897, which is also a great shotgun. My grandfather was a gunsmith with Winchester and had a whole set including the model 42 .410 ga. He also had a trap model that was extremely accurate for trap.

One thing he always pointed out and loved about the Model 12, and try this if you have one. Hold the shotgun by the buttstock without touching the forearm and push the slide release button. The shotgun should spring partially open, now try that with any other pump shotgun and you will not get the same result.

Oh, and they are all take down models. This design feature came from the Model 1897.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Revive! I shot a real model 12 Saturday. All I can say is wow and I want one bad again! This was a riot model maybe? The owners grand pa was a sheriff years ago and he had kept this shotgun. Smooth action and such quality!!! The hunt begins anew :)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I noticed there were a bunch of them for sale at the Nappanee gun show Saturday. There were a few 97's but not one that I wanted.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I'm really liking the older winchesters all of the sudden. The 97s intrigue me as well.
    It's getting hard to find nice ones, most of them had little bluing on them or you could tell had been reblued. Don't start looking at the old pump .22s :-)

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Years ago I was looking for a Model 12 at the 1500. The asking price for a run of the mill worn Model 12 was $400 to $500. I was looking at a collectors table and he had a new looking Model 12 riot shotgun. When asked how much he said $350 and he cautioned me that the condition was very good but he believed it might be re-blued. My billfold almost caught on fire getting the money out.

Top Bottom