• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you buy a Hi Point if they looked much better?

• Total voters

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    There are too many other cheap guns out there that at least try to imitate a quality firearm

Just curious - what cheap guns are coming to mind with this statement?

I'm on a budget and am always looking for steals of deals for quality.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I've got the 995 TS, and it's great... the handguns look like a 4 year designed them.... I'm a big, and I mean big guy, and I think they are too heavy... haven't shot one, but have handled them, just not into a 3lb brick.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I voted no, Field stripping alone would keep me from buying a Hi Point (no take down pin without the use of additional tools), but that's just me. A die cast, zinc alloy slide just makes me hesitant to even try the pistol out when I can buy a proven pistol, used, for the same cash. Throw in a magazine disconnect safety and I just couldn't do it.

that being said, I believe there is a great demographic for the Hi Point line, I'm sure that there are some extremely reliable offerings from this manufacturer.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I saw a high point in "use" at the range once, while the carbine they had wasn't an issue the handgun was a jam-o-matic, they gave up and went home after 15minutes, before they finished a single box of ammo they got so tired of clearing double feeds.

Sealed the not ever going to own one deal for me.

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    got the 9mm carbine, in the beretta cx4 storm style stock. and a jhp 45, no really jamming probs out of either, probably 2k through the rifle, and 1k through the handgun. but they are my remorseless beaters. though you do get the sense they didnt put a real slide stop on the handgun, cause they couldnt afford the R&D to design it. that said if youre wanting a budget handgun. try keltec out. their warranty is just as good i think.

Wa22ioR

Unapologetically American
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Never! Why trust your life with something so... Disposable. Just kidding. I have never owned one, so I can't really say yay or nay to it, but I never will own one either.

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    When I worked at Albro's Guns in Beech Grove I had the displeasure of shooting the .380, 9mm, .40, and 45ACP...... Needless to say...... to the OP I cannot vote...... Helllllll No is putting it lightly...... Not owning a Hi-Point pistol is like hepatitis..... Just because I don't have it..... Doesn't mean I'll EVER want it....... While working at the gun shop plenty of people came in wanting to buy a Hi-Point pistol..... We told them that they were for display purposes only..... We actually had a brick behind the counter that we would hand to the customer if they were "seriously" interested in buying one..... Told them that the brick will be more effective........ so, to the OP...... I would rather take my chances with a dull pencil then trust a Hi-Point pistol....... :)

shoot the radio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    i
    When I worked at Albro's Guns in Beech Grove I had the displeasure of shooting the .380, 9mm, .40, and 45ACP...... Needless to say...... to the OP I cannot vote...... Helllllll No is putting it lightly...... Not owning a Hi-Point pistol is like hepatitis..... Just because I don't have it..... Doesn't mean I'll EVER want it....... While working at the gun shop plenty of people came in wanting to buy a Hi-Point pistol..... We told them that they were for display purposes only..... We actually had a brick behind the counter that we would hand to the customer if they were "seriously" interested in buying one..... Told them that the brick will be more effective........ so, to the OP...... I would rather take my chances with a dull pencil then trust a Hi-Point pistol....... :)

I concur....I bought the.40 as my 1st gun cause I was only 18 & on a extremely limited budget. The thing jammed so often I just quit shooting it. I eventually sold it. Would not trust my life with it......

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont think the only problem is the look.
    Sure I think they are ugly and I wouldnt buy one for that reason only, but, if they came up with a model that looked just like a Glock for like $150 I still wouldnt buy one.
    Its also about quality, and I dont think that for that price, with the materials they use and the way they put it together, that you can get the same quality as a Glock (or other high quality brands).

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Where's the option, "I'd buy one now"? :dunno:

I owned a C9 comp for 8 years. Well over 1,000 rounds through it and never had a problem with it jamming, FTF, or FTE.

They may not be the sexiest looking handgun but I don't buy my firearms based on cosmetics. If I cared how they looked I'd never shoot them and dare risk scratching them...

I know if I ever had to use it I'm not going to say, "Can you wait while I grab my better looking gun, sir? This one just isn't shiny enough..."

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yep! Sure would. I own two HiPoint handguns now and not a single problem out of either in thousands of rounds downrange. I currently have the cf380 and the c9. I actually don't even mind the look of these two. I do think the .40 and .45 models look pretty fugly, but if they work I can get past the way they look. My :twocents: I also have two close friends that purchased c9s as their first handguns and both have been 100% reliable since day one. Don't get me wrong they do have their disadvantages...heavy for their size, low capacity compared to others, and not the quickest field strip, but in my experience they work and they work well. Very accurate too!

I know others have had issues and I do believe them, but I can honestly say in my experience they have been nothing but good.

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    I love my Hi Point 9mm , I have never had any problems when shooting it . It has the comp on the front and comes with the extended mag bottom that makes the grip more comfortable to hold for me. I got it years ago for less then $80.00 new in box . The look is kinda funky and not as nice as say a S&W or what not but it is still one of my most fun guns to shoot.

manygunsmike

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I just picked up one of the 9mm carbines, it has the Beretta style stock, and a Simmons scope, and a barrel shroud. It looks good, but i haven't fired it yet, so we will see.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    My biggest issue with the Hi-Point pistols is the ergonomics. If they changed the looks the ergonomics would have to change. I wouldn't want it for defense, nor would I want to pay more for one, but I'd get it as a plinker. They'd have to do a major redesign on the carbine's stock before I'd buy one, though. The stock pinches my face with every shot.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Isn't it nice to have something cheap for situations where the gun may get damaged, lost, confiscated?

3 cheers for an American company and cheap manufacturing (it is domestic, right?). We should all own one

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    Yes - I'd buy another. I have had 2 without any issues. I keep them in my cars - if stolen - I'm not out a bunch of money. CC - no, but carjack stopper - ready and willing to serve and protect.
    I also have the HP 995TS. I has never had any issues, goes 100's of rounds without cleaning, shoots any ammo, and at the range - people always want to look at it and shoot it. With reddot, light and laser it is a great choice for home protection.

Top Bottom