• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you buy a Hi Point if they looked much better?

• Total voters

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I've had great service from both handgun and carbine models. My C9 has over 1400 rds out and still wating for it's first failure. Do wish it had a slide release lever tho'.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I need to start a new poll. To find out if all the people that talk :poop: about them, have ever actually owned one.

I could go on and on about how much glocks suck, but I won't. Because I've never owned own. I think functionality has come a long way the last few years with the hi points. All you guys that are just "too good" for a $160 reliable gun might just change your minds a little ;)

I'm still waiting on someone to do a pistol match with one lol

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Isn't it nice to have something cheap for situations where the gun may get damaged, lost, confiscated?

3 cheers for an American company and cheap manufacturing (it is domestic, right?). We should all own one
    Why would you buy a gun based on characteristics not even related to being a gun or used as a gun? A cheap knife will break and fail, a good one has better odds of working when I need it. People knock Chicom crap all the time. Ever use a drill bit made in China? Sadly, not all crap is made in China.

Rocks Are tougher than this, so are polymers.
    Pot metal, also known as monkey metal, white metal or die-cast zinc, is a slang term that refers to alloys that consist of inexpensive, low-melting point metals used to make fast, inexpensive castings.
    Pot metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is why the Hipoint is so big and ugly, it HAS to be just to hold up. Write your letters, it won't change the specs of pot metal.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I need to start a new poll. To find out if all the people that talk :poop: about them, have ever actually owned one.

l
    Or spent the last 30 years helping those who do own them. Do your homework on the history of the company and their products.

Irradiated poop is still poop.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    We aren't all as wealthy as you I guess :rolleyes:
    Buy once cry once, I have gear from 1971. That has nothing to do with wealth, it has to do with value. Every person that owned a Hipoint then sold it (or Jennings etc etc etc...) pissed that money away.

Life is priceless.

Your youth shows.

The guns are not unpopular due to looks, they are unpopular due to other issues and how each person defines reliable.

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Would be nicer if they could be taken apart with out a hammer and punch. I always smile when people tell you to get a reliable used eastern european gun like a Tokarev or Zastava instead of a hi-point. Those look so much better, Not.
    Mine was bought used and is now being used by a brother who outshoots his friends with it. Totally reliable through three owners.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Save your money, buy something else where you will not have any questions as to reliability AND looks. JMHO.

I already own one. Have had it for a while. And I still have no questions as to reliability.

The best part is out-shooting my buddy's kimber, and watching him have FTF's lol:D

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I think a gold trigger, walnut grips, a nice leather holster, suspenders (to hold your britches up from the weight) and you will have a gun that you could pass on to your grandchildren (where did I leave that purple?). Did the same people that made RG revolvers start Hi Point? 20 years from now, seeing a Hi Point that still shoots will be like seeing a Pinto driving down the street, a lone survivor.

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    I'd buy one either way. Maybe more likely if it did look a little better, I guess. I could probably sneak one of these on the purchase of another gun and just tell the wife it was an accessory.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Save your money, buy something else where you will not have any questions as to reliability AND looks. JMHO.

Like a Glock? :dunno:

Let me take you back to April before my cousin left for basic training. He picked up about 1,000 rounds of Brown Bear ammo at a gun show for extremely cheap. When we got back to his parents farm house to shoot, his Glock had problems feeding the ammo and you'd have to double strike the primer on almost every round.

All the while my Hi-Point was dropping them down the barrel like a shot of Jack on a saturday night, a single pull of the trigger, and no problems cycling it either.

I had 0 issues with all of the ammo I put in that thing which was anything I could pick up for cheap plinking.

While I will agree the Hi-Point is much larger in size than need be, reliability isn't a problem. The thing goes bang every time after 1500 rounds and no field strip cleaning...

You'll find numerous people right here on this forum that will tell you they are reliable firearms. Most of the people who tell you they are complete junk have never owned one. They've just gone off of what other people have said.

Every manufacturer has a few lemons. Some more than others... but I'd purchase my Hi-Point over a Glock any day of the week.

Just my :twocents: though. Not that it really matters until you've owned one and tried it for yourself...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why would you buy a gun based on characteristics not even related to being a gun or used as a gun?

goes back to the "tackle box gun" thread. If I'm going to be in a boat on a lake (or kayak), or in the mud, or any other dirty environment.I could lanyard onto a big foam piece (which some might argue makes them look better), or just have a cheapo that will go bang when I want it to but falling in the water doesn't cost me $500. I'm not worried about pirates on the lake.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom