• dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Oh he did did he......:nono:.......:laugh6:

WT is good people.
    Seemed to be. I saw it in the classifieds but decided to hold off. Saw him walking around the 1500 with a sign on his back advertising it. I took the opportunity to ask if he was on INGO, after talking with him and looking it over we made a deal. So much for holding off.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seemed to be. I saw it in the classifieds but decided to hold off. Saw him walking around the 1500 with a sign on his back advertising it. I took the opportunity to ask if he was on INGO, after talking with him and looking it over we made a deal. So much for holding off.

You have to strike when the opportunity arises....:)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    For less than a grand the new Colt Competition Pistol is hard to beat. Has the same features as the much venerated Range Officer and it has the Pony on the side to boot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For less than a grand the new Colt Competition Pistol is hard to beat. Has the same features as the much venerated Range Officer and it has the Pony on the side to boot.

I am hearing that Colt is getting its act together but until I get to fondle one at the range I have little faith.
    Had several 70 series and a few early 80 series that did us very well. They were sold in difficult times.
    Much of what I have seen from them in the past few years was anything but what I would expect from the Horse.
    I seriously hope they are on the rebound.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    OP, Are you wanting a GI style 1911 or one that has a lot of the latest updates to the design like the extended grip safety and thumb safety along with dovetailed sights? If you like the USGI style, the CZ 1911 is hard to beat for the money. It's out of production now, but is still available and runs around $800 or so. For that, you get a Dan Wesson built full size 1911 with excellent quality. If wanting the later updates, an actual Dan Wesson would make an excellent first 1911, but you'll have to add about $300 to the budget to get there.

Also, last year around November, you could find Colt standard 1911s for under $700. I don't know if those will come down in price again this year, but it was a pretty good deal for a gun with a forged slide and frame. Most others in that price range are cast frames. BTW, the CZ 1911 is also forged.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    That is sort of my dilemma. I originally was feeling like I wanted a standard GI model, however I have seen some pretty nice suggestions from others. So, right now I am trying to get an idea what I want to do. I would really prefer not to buy a new Colt, I would like one with some history. But, as I said, some of these other options are very tempting.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Well it looks like I may be going with a Springfield after all. I will be shooting an MC Operator on Monday and if everything goes well I will be purchasing it. Thanks for the help guys.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Well it looks like I may be going with a Springfield after all. I will be shooting an MC Operator on Monday and if everything goes well I will be purchasing it. Thanks for the help guys.
    That's a solid choice for a first 1911. Be careful though, as 1911s are one of those guns that tend to multiply.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I did not read all of the posts. With that said, a 1911 no matter the maker is one thing. .45 ACP. Officer's Model, Commander, Government and all sizes in between is up to the choice of the purchaser. However, in my own humble opinion, one thing is not negotiable. That would be the caliber. Again, .45 ACP. Plain and simple.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have owned 1911's from $75-$4500. Started caaying a 1911 in 1953. Today I go with Colt or STI, don't think the Wilson, Brown, or Bear is worth the difference in money. Like the Dan Wesson but keep going back to Colt or STI. First 1911 was a Remington Rand in .45ACP and the last was a STI 2011 in 10mm.

Top Bottom