• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KANER88

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    indianapolis
    man I have had just about every manufacturer of 1911 except for a Les Baer and those in the similar price range ($1700+). in your price range, I say Kimber hands down. I have had springfield, colt, sig, etc. and many models of each. without a doubt Kimber in my personal experience. Especially if you can find a used one from their custom shop in good condition. some people feel like they are over priced but chances are those people haven't shot them a whole lot. I absolutely love both their .45 and 9mm 1911's.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I got a Kimber TLE/LE II with rail for around a grand years ago. Well worth it. Actually bought 2, although years later I sold one, didn't need 2 of the same. I bring this to the range everything I go, even to just put a box through it. Smith and Wesson looks like they have a great one reasonably priced.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Got to shoot the 1911 extensively and it is awesome.
    So, I haven't been able to take a picture and show my first 1911 until now. I am really thankful to Churchmouse for this amazing piece. The only bad thing is now I really think I would like to get another.

Attachments

• 1911.jpg
      1911.jpg
      938.3 KB · Views: 23
    Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm holding out for a Dan Wesson. There are cheaper, and there are arguably better. But I don't know of anyone making a better one at the same price. Do you?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Here is a snippet from a review of Larry Vickers 1911 Training Class that I found interesting.

For serious defensive work stick with Wilson, Springfield Custom Shop, Nighthawk, Baer and Brown in that order. Some stock guns from Colt & Springfield Armory are good to go. In ALL of the above, stick to 5" guns with standard bushing and guide rod. 4.25", 4", 3.5" and 3" guns should only be considered recreational shooters.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Here is a snippet from a review of Larry Vickers 1911 Training Class that I found interesting.

That list may have brands that are all good. But that doesn't mean all those missing from the list are bad. Obviously, people prefer what they know and have experience with, and many of these instructors have relationships with certain suppliers that make them less than fully independent assessors.

JMO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That list may have brands that are all good. But that doesn't mean all those missing from the list are bad. Obviously, people prefer what they know and have experience with, and many of these instructors have relationships with certain suppliers that make them less than fully independent assessors.

JMO

I have heard near the same thing from folks that spend a serious amount of time training others. They have no affiliations with any mfg.
    I have to say that the DW line up are very handsome guns. I have seen a few things that have convinced me to take a pass on certain models.
    Yes, I love me some Springfields but i have seen them with issues as well.

Pick your poison and enjoy.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, I would think seeing thousands of 1911s come through your training classes, you would learn pretty quickly which ones cause problems and which ones don't.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Yeah, I would think seeing thousands of 1911s come through your training classes, you would learn pretty quickly which ones cause problems and which ones don't.
    Yep, between that and building them and him really understanding how they work. Personally I'd love to own a Nighthawk, but on my budget, the Kimber has run just great for me. Granted, I don't shoot over 200 rounds at one time like others do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, between that and building them and him really understanding how they work. Personally I'd love to own a Nighthawk, but on my budget, the Kimber has run just great for me. Granted, I don't shoot over 200 rounds at one time like others do.

Put 500/700 through it and you will know exactly what you have.
    Cheap dirty ammo will show faults sooner than mid grade or good reloads.
    In the tough training classes your equipment will be tested.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Put 500/700 through it and you will know exactly what you have.
    Cheap dirty ammo will show faults sooner than mid grade or good reloads.
    In the tough training classes your equipment will be tested.
    Oh, I've put a ton of ammo through it, usually whatever is cheapest. Just have never shot that much ammo at one time except when the military was paying for it with issued weapons.

Top Bottom