• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh, I've put a ton of ammo through it, usually whatever is cheapest. Just have never shot that much ammo at one time except when the military was paying for it with issued weapons.

More of a general statement for the masses.

So many gun owners just never "Run" their guns and when they do it is not run hard.
    Folks saying they have never experienced an issue with the gun they shoot and when asked how they run them the round count is 50 to 150 total spread out over 3 or 4 range trips. No issues with this but that is not a test.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    More of a general statement for the masses.

So many gun owners just never "Run" their guns and when they do it is not run hard.
    Folks saying they have never experienced an issue with the gun they shoot and when asked how they run them the round count is 50 to 150 total spread out over 3 or 4 range trips. No issues with this but that is not a test.

I think that you get that a lot with the island guns. They are bought and then run a couple of times a year with maybe one box per range trip. That's fine for a casual, range only shooter, but it does not really test to the guns limits. I have not pushed any of my 1911s to the failure point, but have run 200 rounds through a couple of them very quickly. If I can burn 200 rounds of dirty reloads in 20 minutes without any sort of a hiccup, I'm confident that the gun will do what I need it to do when called upon. I really should test to the limit some day just to see where the limit is. That gets expensive though.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I think that you get that a lot with the island guns. They are bought and then run a couple of times a year with maybe one box per range trip. That's fine for a casual, range only shooter, but it does not really test to the guns limits. I have not pushed any of my 1911s to the failure point, but have run 200 rounds through a couple of them very quickly. If I can burn 200 rounds of dirty reloads in 20 minutes without any sort of a hiccup, I'm confident that the gun will do what I need it to do when called upon. I really should test to the limit some day just to see where the limit is. That gets expensive though.
    I have done this. Maybe not 20 minutes, but as quickly as I can load the mags, and I can load a box at a time. But the budget usually dictates that I really use the range time as productively as possible, so I'll work one handed and off handed too.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    While I get the idea of running hundreds or thousands of rounds through a gun without cleaning or oiling "to confirm reliability", I'm much more concerned that my guns will run the first two mags flawlessly from a clean and oiled condition and yes, that takes 100's of rounds but not necessarily in one "torture test".

Even if my intent was to fight zombies, I won't be carrying 1000 rounds of 45 ACP loaded in mags with me.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Put 500/700 through it and you will know exactly what you have.
    Cheap dirty ammo will show faults sooner than mid grade or good reloads.
    In the tough training classes your equipment will be tested.

You are so right. It is amazing how people can come to a class with a gun they "have never had a problem with", and somehow it goes down the toilet in a two day class. Most recently it was a Kimber in a Tom Givens class I helped out with, but it can and does happen to a lot of models.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You are so right. It is amazing how people can come to a class with a gun they "have never had a problem with", and somehow it goes down the toilet in a two day class. Most recently it was a Kimber in a Tom Givens class I helped out with, but it can and does happen to a lot of models.

But mostly 1911's, right? :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I get the idea of running hundreds or thousands of rounds through a gun without cleaning or oiling "to confirm reliability", I'm much more concerned that my guns will run the first two mags flawlessly from a clean and oiled condition and yes, that takes 100's of rounds but not necessarily in one "torture test".

Even if my intent was to fight zombies, I won't be carrying 1000 rounds of 45 ACP loaded in mags with me.

OK.....you have totally missed my point.
    Keep your firearms serviced. Always.
    My point is that if you are involved in a 2 day class that requires a minimum of 500 rds you will know exactly what you have. In doing this your gun should survive.
    Yes, I see your point as most home defense set ups have 2 mags at the ready. My night stand gun has 1 spare mag next to it.
    A torture test is something completely different and yes, we have tortured a few.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    But mostly 1911's, right? :):

Well, yes. Some of that could be the quality of 1911s I see in class. Which is to say not a lot of high end ones. There are a lot of factors involved in the problems people have with their guns in class. With less experienced shooters they are often causing or at least contributing to the problems themselves with things like less than robust gun manipulations. They are not used to drawing from the holster so they get a bad grip. They are not used to reloading under pressure so they don't seat a mag all the way. They don't do much WHO shooting so they fail to get their bones lined up behind the gun and get a malfunction. They don't run the slide briskly when clearing a failure to fire so they get a "double feed", etc., etc.,. Add actual gun problems to any of these and things can get frustrating.

For more experienced shooters I would say some of the most common problems are mag related. I have dozens of mags with thousands of rounds apeice through them that have been dropped often, never cleaned, and never had the springs replaced. Eventually this causes issues.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I heard in a LGS that DW pistols are made in Turkey now, does anyone have more information concerning this ?

CZ and DW are the same entity now.

DW is owned by CZ, which is a Czech company, not Turkish. As far as I know, all DW pistols are still made in the USA, in Norwich, NY. I'm guessing the gun shop guy confused being bought by CZ with being manufactured in Turkey. Did he also tell you that the lifetime carry license was going away?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Put 500/700 through it and you will know exactly what you have.
    Cheap dirty ammo will show faults sooner than mid grade or good reloads.
    In the tough training classes your equipment will be tested.

So true.

A gun that runs perfectly when spanky clean, freshly lubed, and fed premium ammo is not proven at all.

Run that gun dry and dirty for a couple dozen boxes of cheap ammo and you'll know how it REALLY performs.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    So, I will come in here with another question. I was always taught to field strip and clean every time I took a gun to the range, regardless of rounds put through it. Is that what you all do as well?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So, I will come in here with another question. I was always taught to field strip and clean every time I took a gun to the range, regardless of rounds put through it. Is that what you all do as well?
    I used to do that. The Les Baers, you are supposed to run them 500 rounds without cleaning them to break them in, so that has been a change for me and has also made me question the need to clean them after shooting 50 rounds at the range. It seems running them (1911s) wet is the main thing. I still have been cleaning my other guns after every time out so far.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I tend to clean my 1911s after each range trip but only because it gives me a chance to fondle them about bit more after a range trip.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I own 5 1911s right now. I've had others, and I have never been happy looking back at any decision to let go of a firearm. One I let go was a Colt Gold Cup stainless, wish I hadn't done that. Another I let go was a 3-inch Kimber Eclipse. I don't really miss the 3-inch at all. Another I let go was a Colt Double Eagle that I gave to my best friend's son as a gift when he became a Sheriff's Deputy - I miss the gun but I feel that it could not have gone to a better person and that it will give a good service life. I currently have 2 Kimbers, which I really like a lot, a colt government model, and 2 Wilsons. My wife still hasn't let me forget about the 2 Wilsons! :): As they say, sometimes it better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Depending on what ammo you are running through them I would say no.
    "But"......Always a but, look in the chamber and see how cruddy the barrel/ramp etc. is and possibly just wipe it off.

Do you remember how I lubed up the slide and the difference before and after...???

That gun was set up after the Ceracote so it is slick and ready to run. Keep the rails wet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I own 5 1911s right now. I currently have 2 Kimbers, which I really like a lot, a colt government model, and 2 Wilsons. My wife still hasn't let me forget about the 2 Wilsons! :): As they say, sometimes it better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

I have found that a nice shopping trip before and possibly after purchasing a high end firearm lessons the stresses involved.....just a bit anyway.....:):

Top Bottom