Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Took these to the range last Tuesday:

View attachment 335223

S&W 422 and S&W22s.

Also got to shoot a friend's TX22 compact with a red dot. I have to add the TX22c to my list of guns I want.

Had a great time.
    WOW!!!
    Great looking guns from pre-2000. :thumbsup:
    My idea of good range toys! :ingo:
    Where are the range pics? :scratch:

I have these 2 guns.

SW 2206 (422 variant)
    I've had about 5 of the 422 and/or variants.
    pic left side at range.jpg

SW 22A-1 Talo edition
    I've had about 6 of the SW 22A-1.
    pic SW 22A-1 Talo ed..jpg

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Did one of my favorite things comparing similar guns at the range today.
    Today was a Ruger 8" Charger vs a 10" charger, both with red dots.
    I took the "See All Sight" off the 10" polymer & put a Sig Romeo MSR red dot on it for a like comparison with the 8" polymer with a Holosun red dot.

Nearly identical results shown below between the 8" & the 10" Chargers in accuracy either on the .75" circles at 30' or 1.75" circles at 45'.

Forgot to label that the 3rd Charger is a 10"
    &
    the 2nd Charger is an 8".
    .75" circles at 30'
    5 rds each circle.
    View attachment 335145

1.75" circles at 45'.
    5 rounds each circle.
    View attachment 335146
    I know that you have invested heavily in these dots ... probably have a 20' conex full of them, but please consider adding a more precise aiming point to the larger dots. Perhaps just a black sharpie making a cross on the larger dots?

Why the more precise aiming point? Look at your 3/4" dot groups. They are outstanding! Now look at your 1.75" dot groups. Not quite as impressive. Yes, you moved the target 15' farther away, but that shouldn't open up your groups as much as they did.

If you're up to it, give the more precise aiming point a whirl during your next range trip and let us know how the groups look.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I know that you have invested heavily in these dots ... probably have a 20' conex full of them, but please consider adding a more precise aiming point to the larger dots. Perhaps just a black sharpie making a cross on the larger dots?

Why the more precise aiming point? Look at your 3/4" dot groups. They are outstanding! Now look at your 1.75" dot groups. Not quite as impressive. Yes, you moved the target 15' farther away, but that shouldn't open up your groups as much as they did.

If you're up to it, give the more precise aiming point a whirl during your next range trip and let us know how the groups look.
    Brilliant suggestion! :thumbsup:
    I have experienced what you speak of.

Problem is, w/o an EER scope & just using a red dot, I can't see a small point or cross starting at 30' & no way can I see a dot/cross at 45' or more. :fogey:
    With my tri-focals, I'm already deciding whether I see a fuzzy target or fuzzy sights. :wallbash:

That's one of the reasons I use 1" circles with a 3/8" or 1/2" inner circle with scoped rifles.
    I would have liked to have gone to 75" yesterday, but would have needed EER handgun scopes on the Chargers.
    I have even used rifle scopes with a longer EER than normal on a pistol.
    Doesn't give me the whole field of vision, but just in the center, haha! :dunno:

I plan to take the smaller rifle targets instead of the 1.75" handgun targets next time.
    I will experiment with using some small blue dots also to see if my eyes focus any better than with the red small dots.
    I could just put them inside the larger 1.75" targets to help focus the eyes. :oldwise:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Having a more precise aiming point has allowed me to shoot better groups from a rest using moderate magnification or even free handed with no magnification like a red dot. Used this target with white dot center and really concentrated on trying to keep the 6MOA dot on the white , one of the better targets fired with the budget Sig P322.

22 sig p322 25.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Having a more precise aiming point has allowed me to shoot better groups from a rest using moderate magnification or even free handed with no magnification like a red dot. Used this target with white dot center and really concentrated on trying to keep the 6MOA dot on the white , one of the better targets fired with the budget Sig P322.
    Always appreciate seeing a target. :thumbsup:
    Sorry, you know I have to ask: distance? :dunno: :scratch:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Always appreciate seeing a target. :thumbsup:
    Sorry, you know I have to ask: distance? :dunno: :scratch:
    It's a 25 yard target shot with a standing two hand hold. The white center is 1.75" and 9 ring 3.5". I went to a Sig Romeo Zero with a 3MOA for while but the single tiny control located right behind the optic lens was difficult to adjust and I went back to the Holosun. At least with the Holosun the 6MOA dot appears very crisp even with my astigmatism.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's a 25 yard target shot with a standing two hand hold. The white center is 1.75" and 9 ring 3.5". I went to a Sig Romeo Zero with a 3MOA for while but the single tiny control located right behind the optic lens was difficult to adjust and I went back to the Holosun. At least with the Holosun the 6MOA dot appears very crisp even with my astigmatism.
    I would not even be able to see the white 1.75" center at 25 yds! :laugh:
    Free hand, I could maybe do the 9 ring 3.5" at 15 yds.
    I'll have to get out a larger target and try a free hand at 25 yds next range visit, just for fun.

However, I have more fun trying to get a Cloverleaf at shorter distances. :lmfao:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Comparing the 10" Charger w/wood stock & the 8" black polymer Charger.
    10" with x4 scope on it.
    8" with Holosun red dot.
    Essentially the same accuracy, despite the 93% vs 83% score since my eyes & hands :fogey: are suspect as the X factor, haha! :lmfao:
    I do enjoy the way the 8" Charger shoots as well as the 10".

Using the back of an old target (ignore .38 special wadcutter holes), I put 3/4" circles and squares on it, shooting at 30'.
    Optics previously dialed in for 30'.
    2.27.2024 Range 8in & 10in Wood at 30' on .75in circles and squares.jpg

10" & 8" Chargers shooting at 45' & 75'.
    I didn't dial in optics for 45' & on the 1st circle of each Charger I discovered the POA was at bottom of the 1.75" circles.
    At 75' the POI was off more than at 45' & I could not really gauge the POA consistently by trying to shoot below the circles.
    02.27.2024 Range 8in & Wood 45ft & 75ft on 1.75in circles.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Very nice. Is it possible to shoot at 50yds or is that outdoor only?
    I bet that would have no problem at 100yds.
    Range USA/Point blank
    Only goes up to 25 yards.
    With that 1.5 scope that came with it,
    I can barely see the 1.75" circles at 25 yds, so I would need a better scope to do for 100 yards, ha ha!
    It would be fun to try pinging the steel at 100 yards at at MCFG!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Range USA/Point blank
    I can barely see the 1.75" circles at 25 yds, so I would need a better scope to do for 100 yards, ha ha!
    Some nice targets with that TC! At 100 there would be quite a bit of bullet drop too with a 22lr. My 10" TC 22lr match is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned with the exception of my 14 inch TC and XP-100 in 223.

Was trying to shoot my 22 pistols freehand in the wind last Sunday and decided after 4 targets to shoot the TC from a rest at 25 yards. Tried Aguila SE std. vel. Eley prime. Adjusted the scope after each target.
    11 tc 25 yd.jpg

Going to put my 2x-7x Burris on it or a recently acquired 7X Burris. Going to try some 50 yard targets later this year when I get some calmer range conditions. Used to shoot in the very still early evenings years ago and the TC did quite well at 50.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Range USA/Point blank
    If you're zeroed at 25 yds., simply hold on the top of the 100 yd. steel and you'll have solid hits. You should be able to do this even with the 1.5x scope.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had a blast with the Ruger Chargers:
    - 8" black poly with Holosun red dot
    - 10" Wood stock with 1-4 x 28 scope

Armscor 36 grain, HV HP
    45' on 1.75" circles
    Wood Charger has tighter groups since it has a scope.
    My vision is compromised with seeing the circles at 45'.
    03.01.2024 Range 45ft at 1.75in circles., both CHRGRS.jpg

Can barely see the circles at 75', so scope definitely gives the edge to the Wood Charger.
    If I had another handgun scope I'd want to replace the red dot and retest at 75'.
    I need MAGNIFICATION! :laugh:
    03.01.2024 Range 75ft at 1.75in circles., both CHRGRS.jpg

30' & 45' using smaller blue circles.
    Outside blue circle is 7/8".
    Inner blue circle is 7/16".
    Score based on inner circle.

8" black polymer with Holosun red dot:
    * 30' = 76%
    * 45' = 40%
    10" Wood with x4 scope:
    * 30' = 84%
    * 45' = 60%
    (Top row was for practice.)
    03.01.2024 Range 30 & 45ft at small blue circles.jpg

Charger 8" with Holosun red dot.
    Pic of 8in black frame & Holosun red dot.jpg

Wood Charger 10" with 1-4x scope.
    Pic of 10in wood frame & x4 scope.jpg

pic both CHRGRS from top.jpg

pic of both CHRGRS from back left side.jpg

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    @doddg
    I need magnification also.
    My SIL who passed away last November had eagle eyes. At 25yds he could see 22lr holes in the target.
    I had to walk up to about 5yds before I could start making them out on dark targets. I need to invest in those shoot and see targets.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Had a blast with the Ruger Chargers:
    - 8" black poly with Holosun red dot
    - 10" Wood stock with 1-4 x 28 scope

Armscor 36 grain, HV HP
    45' on 1.75" circles
    Wood Charger has tighter groups since it has a scope.
    My vision is compromised with seeing the circles at 45'.
    View attachment 336964

Can barely see the circles at 75', so scope definitely gives the edge to the Wood Charger.
    If I had another handgun scope I'd want to replace the red dot and retest at 75'.
    I need MAGNIFICATION! :laugh:
    View attachment 336965

30' & 45' using smaller blue circles.
    Outside blue circle is 7/8".
    Inner blue circle is 7/16".
    Score based on inner circle.

8" black polymer with Holosun red dot:
    - 30' = 76%
    - 45' = 40%
    10" Wood with x4 scope:
    - 30' = 84%
    - 45' = 60%
    (Top row was for practice.)
    View attachment 336966

Charger 8" with Holosun red dot.
    View attachment 336971

Wood Charger 10" with 1-4x scope.
    View attachment 336972

View attachment 336973

View attachment 336974
    Is that 4X scope a normal rifle scope or is it a long eye relief pistol scope?

Also, is there any certain technique you use for shooting the abnormal sized chargers?

I ran into that issue last year when shooting a PPS43. It’s a pistol with a long receiver and 10 inch barrel. I realized that I didn’t have a good technique for shooting something that’s neither handgun nor rifle.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Is that 4X scope a normal rifle scope or is it a long eye relief pistol scope?

Also, is there any certain technique you use for shooting the abnormal sized chargers?

I ran into that issue last year when shooting a PPS43. It’s a pistol with a long receiver and 10 inch barrel. I realized that I didn’t have a good technique for shooting something that’s neither handgun nor rifle.
    It's really a rifle scope, but it's eye relief is longer than normal so I make it work with only about 1/3 of the glass showing.

When shooting, I simply put the stock on a sandbag right in front of the trigger.
    Sometimes, I have used sandbags for the longer barrel & my hands, but lately just one bag in front of the trigger.

Top Bottom