• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Good stuff! I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with either of those loads.

Both pictures show "Vel @ 5 feet". Does that mean you had the chronograph set up just 5' from the muzzle? If so, that is closer than you really want. Back it off to somewhere around 12-15' for ideal performance. (With more powerful cartridges you will likely get false readings with it set up so close.)

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    The .35 Remington is pretty mild. And, my "screen" spacing of 2 feet with the midpoint about 5 feet in front of the rifle's muzzle has not given me a problem with my Oehler Model 35 chronograph. However, with more powerful cartridges, with lots of muzzle blast, I move the screens a little farther out.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I hope you didn't trim a lot of cases that short, because .040" would be a HUGE amount of growth from a single firing! In fact, if you don't push the shoulder itself back during the resizing operation, I wouldn't expect the case to grow even 1/4th of that length. If you trim to 1.800", you are left with a pretty short .216" neck. Cutting another .040" off that length is way too much, IMHO.

Keep in mind that most of the growing a case does is not during the firing sequence, but in the subsequent resizing.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I agree with Broom_jm, you don't need to trim that much. I trim mine to 1.795", I neck size only, using a LEE collet style neck sizer . I get very little to no growth.

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    The regs state the CARTRIDGE case can be no longer than 1.800". A cartridge is a primed case with a charge of powder and a projectile. The regs say nothing about a spent case. I would not recommend carrying any spent 35 Rem cases while hunting with your 35 Rem Short, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing in the regs that states you can't.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    1000 35 Rem is an impressive stash. My meager 250 pieces of brass paitiently await some buddies.

I trim my brass to 1.790". I've been doing a bunch of testing this year with my 35 rem. I will start a new thread once I settle on a load.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Number, measure and write down the length of those 50 cases, or 15 is plenty, from a statistical point of view. Shoot them and measure again. Note that during the firing process, cases don't generally grow much, and if they do it's usually from the head of the case to the datum on the shoulder...not the neck. :twocents:

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    Here's what I saw there:
    "Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons."

Here's the way I see it. The max case length limit stated above has to pertain to either the rifle or the cartridge. Since we know it does not pertain to the rifle, it must pertain to the cartridge; therfore, "cartridges that have a max case length of 1.8" are legal to use....... If the loaded case is 1.800 or under, you're good to go.

Has anyone heard of any problems encountered by a guy in possession of a "long" spent case?

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Based upon my observations with my .35 Remington Short in a Marlin M336, if a guy has a spent case that is "too long" it is quite likely that his case was also too long before it was fired.

P.S. I am thinking the difference between the length of a loaded, full-length sized case before firing and after firing has a lot to do with how well the loaded case fits the rifle's chamber. If the rifle has a relatively "generous" chamber the fired case may very well "shrink" in length upon firing. Differences may also relate to the peak pressure of the round upon firing. Other factors may also come into play.

After the subject came up I decided to inspect some brand new Nosler .270 Winchester cases that I loaded and fired in a relatively tight chamber of a friend's custom rifle. Velocities and pressures were getting close to factory rounds. The once-fired cases measured .002 to .003 inches longer than the unfired, new cases. I will have to measure them again immediately after I full-length resize them. Interesting. Good subject for a separate thread if someone wants to take the time to do the research. Maybe it has already been well done and someone can just post a link to the info presented.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    To avoid even the very appearance of wrong-doing, it would be wise to trim and size your cases such that even fired brass does not exceed 1.800". With that being said, so long as your activities do not violate any other game laws, I seriously doubt the DNR is going to go after you over a case that measures 1.801".

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I totally agree.

But based solely on what is stated in the regulation, I see nothing that pertains to a spent case.

Say I was in a rush to get to the woods to hunt with my legal 35 Rem short ammo one evening. I grab a coat that had a few spent standard length 35 Rem cases in one of the pockets and head to the woods. A CO is waiting for me at my truck at dusk. He asks what I'm hunting, and I say "deer". He asks for my license and as I produce it, a standard length spent 35 Rem case falls to the ground. He picks it up, checks it with a handy go/no go gauge he had made by his buddy the machinist. The case obviously measures more than 1.800. The only CARTRIDGES in my possession are legal.

Can he write me a ticket? I say no, as no language in the regs apply to spent cases, only cartridges are referenced

If you think he could, what justifies the ticket? I don't believe justification can be given that does not require additional assumptions/conditions that are not in the regs. What do you guys think?

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    Broom my mistake be slept since then I trimmed to 1.795 not 1.75 my mistake I have your notes printed off from talknto u before had to dig in my log book.

And yes I've been buying brass as I find it reasonable prices but that's going to the wind now as well.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Broom my mistake be slept since then I trimmed to 1.795 not 1.75 my mistake I have your notes printed off from talknto u before had to dig in my log book.

And yes I've been buying brass as I find it reasonable prices but that's going to the wind now as well.

Good deal! Glad to hear you didn't trim those rounds excessively. I think you'll be very happy with the results you get and will have little problem with fired cases exceeding 1.800". Measure them before loading, after firing, and again after resizing...you'll likely find that most growth occurs during the resizing step.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I totally agree.

But based solely on what is stated in the regulation, I see nothing that pertains to a spent case.

Say I was in a rush to get to the woods to hunt with my legal 35 Rem short ammo one evening. I grab a coat that had a few spent standard length 35 Rem cases in one of the pockets and head to the woods. A CO is waiting for me at my truck at dusk. He asks what I'm hunting, and I say "deer". He asks for my license and as I produce it, a standard length spent 35 Rem case falls to the ground. He picks it up, checks it with a handy go/no go gauge he had made by his buddy the machinist. The case obviously measures more than 1.800. The only CARTRIDGES in my possession are legal.

Can he write me a ticket? I say no, as no language in the regs apply to spent cases, only cartridges are referenced

If you think he could, what justifies the ticket? I don't believe justification can be given that does not require additional assumptions/conditions that are not in the regs. What do you guys think?

Im sure they could write you a ticket but doubt it would hold up in court. That would make it illegal for a person hunting with a 357 mag to possess spent 38 special cases.

Top Bottom