• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    Im sure they could write you a ticket but doubt it would hold up in court. That would make it illegal for a person hunting with a 357 mag to possess spent 38 special cases.
    !!!EXACTLY!!!

Nothing in the regs pertains to spent cases, whether the spent case is too long or too short.

Last edited:

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    I spoke with a co and if you have taken a animal with a 35 rem or any cut down 1.8 the spent case better measure 1.8. he said there has been lots of tickets and guns taken for this he also said make sure you trust who ever is doing them for you so they know the growth of the case once fired hes a pretty high up officer

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I spoke with a co and if you have taken a animal with a 35 rem or any cut down 1.8 the spent case better measure 1.8. he said there has been lots of tickets and guns taken for this he also said make sure you trust who ever is doing them for you so they know the growth of the case once fired hes a pretty high up officer

I seriously doubt the DNR has an official "policy" on this, but if they did, it would be SPELLED OUT in the regulations...that's what regulations are there to do.

If you think you'll get a ticket or lose your gun and that there have been "lots" of those already, then buy a 44 carbine and be done with it. (Statistically speaking, there are SO few guys shooting this oddball stuff that you're not going to convince me the DNR has issued lots of tickets or taken lots of guns away. There aren't even "lots" of guys shooting shortened 35 Remingtons!)

Last edited:

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    each officer has a case gauge I was showed a couple of them to me. you would be surprised how many are using shortened rounds around here. I know of 20 guys so far and the list is growing as orders at the gun shop are coming in for marlins and single shots

Im just saying what I was told that's why ill be testing the growth

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    Here is what an actual CO had to say on this issue. My questions were posed as follows:

Say a guy has a rifle chambered for 35 Remington, and he is hunting deer with cartridges whose cases are cut to 1.800". This guy is checked by a CO and found to be in possession of spent cases that are standard full length 35 Remington (clearly over the 1.800" limit). Is this guy going to be issued a ticket?

If the guy noted above would be issued a ticket, would the same be true for a guy hunting with legal 357 rifle ammo if he was found to be in possession of spent 38 special cases (too short as opposed to too long)?

I see nothing in the regs that makes it against the law to possess spent cartridge cases. I see nothing in the regs that pertain to spent cases at all. The regs only reference "cartridges", by definition loaded ammo.

Thanks!

Here is the CO's response:

"Unfortunately I cannot give you a definite answer on this question. If an officer checks a hunter under each of the above described scenarios and it was just a random check, I do not see where a ticket would be issued because there was no apparent violation of the statute or administrative rule. However, If an officer conducts a check of a subject after knowing the subject has fired a round and the only casing present was either one that was too long or too short to conform to the minimum and maximum cartridge length, the officer could issue a citation which the officer would have to be able to prove that the person was in violation.
    Our officers use very good judgement in these situations and would not issue a citation unless they felt the person was in violation of a statute or rule as well as being able to prove the violation in court.
    "

What it boils down to is whether the office thinks there was a violation, and whether the violation can be proved in court. Simple possession of "long" or "short" cases is not an "apparent violation of the statute or administrative rule".

So say you're dragging a deer and get checked by a CO. You have legal length ammo (cases 1.800) and one spent case that happens to measure 1.805. The CO first needs to determine if this extra length exists in the first place (I doubt most will carry tools with the precision needed), then he needs to determine if he can prove the case was not legal when it was fired. In this case he can't do that. Too many variables exist that can cause a case to stretch this small amount. If a ticket ws issued, even I could convince a judge there was no violation.

But if your dragging your deer and get checked by a CO, and have legal length 35 Remington ammo (cases 1.800) and one spent case that happens to measure the standard 35 Remington length, you have some serious explaining to do.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    So a couple questions on the 35 Rem short since I just bought one on Gbroker ;)

I saw on the other thread one guy was using the FTX but has anyone tried the speer 180?

Secondly, has anyone seen a consistent stretch rate, post firing, not post resizing, that would help determine the optimum "trim to length" after resizing? I am guessing somewhere between 1.790 and 1.795 but any insight is appreciated.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    So a couple questions on the 35 Rem short since I just bought one on Gbroker ;)

I saw on the other thread one guy was using the FTX but has anyone tried the speer 180?

Secondly, has anyone seen a consistent stretch rate, post firing, not post resizing, that would help determine the optimum "trim to length" after resizing? I am guessing somewhere between 1.790 and 1.795 but any insight is appreciated.

The Speer 180s should work just fine, since they're intended for this velocity range. The FTX bullet is a good choice because it is long for its weight, which is nice, given that you are shortening the neck by .120".

As for length, I would consider 1.800" the trim-to length. You won't see much of an increase in case length during the firing sequence; much more potential for that during subsequent resizing operation.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Thanks Broom I appreciate the reply. Looks like I may have to wait a bit to try either of the bullets I mentioned, cannot seem to find any right now. Was glad to find a lb of Lever powder at my local shop today though.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Another reason for 45-70...

I'm just getting into cutting down the 45-70Govt case to Indiana Deer Specs. I have my cases trimmed to 1.791"-1.795". I can not see this case "Growing" more than .005" during the discharge of the projectile.

Thanks to ProFire, Broom_jm, djones, and others for helping me on info on this project..Bill.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks Broom I appreciate the reply. Looks like I may have to wait a bit to try either of the bullets I mentioned, cannot seem to find any right now. Was glad to find a lb of Lever powder at my local shop today though.

If you can locate some hard-cast 185+ grain WFN bullets, they will do very well, too.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield

p40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    I'm just getting into making some of these 1.8" 35 Remingtons and I have a few questions:

How do you trim these to 1.8" ? I tried using the lee handheld trimmer and modifying the pin and messed it up. I also tried using a lee quick trim with a 35 Rem die and couldn't get the length short enough. Is there another quick trim die that would work or do I need to buy one of those trimmers that look like a lathe?

How do you crimp at 1.8" ? I have a factory crimp die and I guess I could have .120 faced off the bottom but I was wondering if there were any other tricks to doing it without permanently modifying the die.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I'm just getting into making some of these 1.8" 35 Remingtons and I have a few questions:

How do you trim these to 1.8" ? I tried using the lee handheld trimmer and modifying the pin and messed it up. I also tried using a lee quick trim with a 35 Rem die and couldn't get the length short enough. Is there another quick trim die that would work or do I need to buy one of those trimmers that look like a lathe?

How do you crimp at 1.8" ? I have a factory crimp die and I guess I could have .120 faced off the bottom but I was wondering if there were any other tricks to doing it without permanently modifying the die.

I use a mini chop saw to rough cut to approx 1.830 then trim the rest off with a mini hand lathe style case trimmer.

As as far crimping goes you need to cut 0.115" off the bottom of a FCD. Another job for the chop saw. Take your time and take a little off at a time.

p40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    United States
    So if I rough trim them with a chop saw, is there something I could do to a trim die to get the length down to 1.8?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom