• billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good price!!

B&K bullet casting is selling the 35 short Remington for $1 a round. You supply the brass and he will make the rounds for you. He is out of bullets right now and doesn't expect to be able to produce rounds until oct 1. Reloading is fairly expensive to get into, and I really only need 20 rounds for sighting in a rifle and hunting. If I needed a lot of rounds maybe reloading would make sense.

That is a GREAT price when you consider that factory 35 Remington loads run right at $1.50 per round. Granted, you are supplying the case, but that is still a good price.

My only question with this source would be, if they are a 'bullet casting' company, why would they not have cast bullets to load in your 35 Rem. cases?? Or at least the mold in-house to cast that bullet??

A casting company that will only supply jacketed loads seems a little strange to me??...Bill.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That is a GREAT price when you consider that factory 35 Remington loads run right at $1.50 per round. Granted, you are supplying the case, but that is still a good price.

My only question with this source would be, if they are a 'bullet casting' company, why would they not have cast bullets to load in your 35 Rem. cases?? Or at least the mold in-house to cast that bullet??

A casting company that will only supply jacketed loads seems a little strange to me??...Bill.

Bill,

Given that many of the 35 Remington rifles are Marlin 336's with the micro-groove rifling, ya can't blame a boutique reloader for wanting to stay away from cast boolits. :D

That really is a great price on the reloaded 35 Remington-Short rounds, though. Given the time required to trim the brass and the component costs of primer/powder/bullet...I'm not sure how it's worth his time.

My biggest concern is that you're getting a generic load instead of one tailored to your specific rifle. Also, I shouldn't be surprised, but the notion of "20 rounds for sighting in a rifle and hunting" is not overly encouraging.

Reloading is only expensive to get into...if you don't shoot much at all. If you do any volume of shooting, and plan to keep doing so, reloading has a very quick ROI. This is particularly true if you start out with the right equipment. :twocents:

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Cast bullets work great in micro groove rifles. Gas check and fill the throat with a large diameter bullet (0.360-0.361").

i don't understand how a bullet casting company doesn't have 200ish grain 35 cal rifle mold!

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    B&K bullet casting is selling the 35 short Remington for $1 a round. You supply the brass and he will make the rounds for you. He is out of bullets right now and doesn't expect to be able to produce rounds until oct 1. Reloading is fairly expensive to get into, and I really only need 20 rounds for sighting in a rifle and hunting. If I needed a lot of rounds maybe reloading would make sense.

Buy some 190 ranchdog bullets from Carolina cast bullet company and take them to B&K to load for you.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    It doesn't necessarily cost that much to get started into reloading.

Beartooth Bullets > Tech Notes > Handloading On A Shoestring

I started this way and don't regret it at all. I used this basic bare bones kit for under $25 and loaded hundreds of rounds and enjoyed myself and learned a lot about reloading and rifles. Heck I still use the old Lee Classic Loader kit for my .35 Remington sometimes just for the fun of it.

Heck, the cost of this reloading setup is probably less than the cost of a box of cartridges at today's prices.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    20 rounds for sighting in a rife and hunting was a little tongue and cheek comment. I would sight in the rifle using regular 35 Remington rounds, then use the short ones to see if any adjustments were needed. Then during hunting season use one round to bag a buck. (again a little tongue and cheek) Called Profire today he will reload 35 Remington to the new short round using your cases, he didn't have an exact amount but said it would be based on $30 an hour shop rate. So if he can trim the cases and reload them in 30 minutes the cost would be $15 per 20. I am beginning to get excited about this new round.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good luck with THAT...

" So if he can trim the cases and reload them in 30 minutes the cost would be $15 per 20."

I have not worked any 35 Rem. "Cut Down Loads", but I have worked the 45-70 Indiana Deer loads.

Trust me, there is more to it than just cutting down a brass case+installing a bullet..HA HA...Bill..

PS:MUCH Thanks to djones+Aszerigan for info/help to me on the 45-70 ProFire Special loads..

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Well thank's billybob44, I did find some reloaded 35 Remington in trimmed cases (1.795) at the Crown Point gun show. Relaoder is Rose Reloading LLC 574-505-1153. He has 180 grain sp loaded for 90 cents a round. Or $18.00 for $20. I know I was guessing $15 for 20 rounds but I was only $3 off. He has 200 gr barnes bullets reloaded in the short cases for $1.90 a round. Both prices are based on you giving him 20 empty 35 Remington cases. So for $18 I don't have to trim my cases, buy reloading equipment, look for bullets, powder, primers etc, ya I am ok with paying someone 90 cents a round to make me up a few 35 Remington short rounds. Next year if Indiana adopts rifle rounds for deer hunting, this trimmed round will disappear. He is a pic of the short round next to a Remington core lokt 200gr and a hornady 200gr leverevolution.
    ammo.jpg

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    So I headed to kempfs gun shop this weekend to grab some bullets, a lee case length gauge and jump on the 35rem short bandwagon, but they were out of 180g speers and the trimmers, d'oh. cabelas and bass pro didnt either, so I figured I would check midwayusa, no bullets but they do have the gauge. Note to self, next time dont take so long to get on da wagon heh.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I over estimated needing 20 rounds for sighting in and hunting this year. I really only need seven, lol. Here is a picture of the two targets I shot this morning. I shot a total of 15 rounds, some factory and some the trimmed cases I had purchased from a reloader. These were shot at 100 yards and yes this new CVA scout shot a 1/2" three shot group. It was scary accurate. I have shot a lot of rifles over the years but this rifle is by far the most accurate $300 rifle I have ever shot. Here is a few pictures of the targets.
    tar1.jpg

tar.jpg

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I made a 1.8" trimmer from a 358 Winchester trimmer (Lee brand). Just chucked it into a drill and held a file to the side of it to thin down the wide part near the tip to the same tip dimensions (the part that goes through the primer hole and stops against the die that grabs the brass). I then slowly worked back the tip until it cut to just under 1.8". Easy peasy. Same thing can be done starting with a 35 rem trim piece from Lee.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I over estimated needing 20 rounds for sighting in and hunting this year. I really only need seven, lol. Here is a picture of the two targets I shot this morning. I shot a total of 15 rounds, some factory and some the trimmed cases I had purchased from a reloader. These were shot at 100 yards and yes this new CVA scout shot a 1/2" three shot group. It was scary accurate. I have shot a lot of rifles over the years but this rifle is by far the most accurate $300 rifle I have ever shot. Here is a few pictures of the targets.
    tar1.jpg

tar.jpg

Good shooting. I'm glad the ammo and rifle worked so well for you.

Now we need a picture of you with a deer or random coyote that tried slipping by you while this rifle was in you hands!

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Thanks DJones, yes a deer or two this year is almost for certain, this gun is very accurate. My H&R in 44mag that I have been using since 2005 was capable of 3" groups at 50 yards. I never shot it at 100 yards, I didn't want to waste ammo. It was a good deer getter at 50 yards, but longer shots were out of the question for me. This new round is very accurate compared to the 44 mag, and now I can truly shoot 100 yard shots all day long. I only wish this round was legal years ago, man the deer I had to pass on because they were out of range. I now understand that a decent rifle with a good scope and rifle rounds can make a whole world of difference. It was frustrating locating the reloaded trimmed rounds, but it was all worth it after seeing what this round can do at 100 yards.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Took a few better pictures of the groupings, the last target was actually the first target used for sighting in the scope.
    55.jpg

54.jpg

56.jpg

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Very good shooting, Deet. I'm sure that rifle is up to 150 yards or more, with groups like that! :)

It's quite likely that next fall you won't even have to go looking for custom-loaded ammo with 1.800" cases; you'll be able to use normal, full-length 35 Remington ammo.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I went to the range yesterday to shoot the 35 Remington one last time before deer season. It held zero nicely and was shooting 1" groups at 100 yards. The wind was crazy, gust of 30 or 40 miles per hour. I know it affected the bullets, and it was hard to keep my target on the chicken wire using clothespins. But again, this gun/ammo combo is very accurate. Recoil is mild, and makes this gun fun to shoot. I also took out my mosin for fun, but the wind was really kicking up and I mostly was shooting at the clothespins, since my paper targets went flying away. A great day of range fun, and a conformation that I am ready for deer season.

Top Bottom