• ...and so much more!
  • Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    So maybe I am still a bit confused here but I was wondering if one had a way to surface grind the .115-.120 needed off the top face of the shell holder would not that work just as well as shortening the collet of the FCD ?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    So maybe I am still a bit confused here but I was wondering if one had a way to surface grind the .115-.120 needed off the top face of the shell holder would not that work just as well as shortening the collet of the FCD ?

I think you would find that makes the top of the shell holder awful thin...

hvacrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Jay County
    So I have factory loaded rounds, fresh brass, a Marlin 336, and all of my reloading equipment in a storage container. Who would be interested in making me a few rounds? Kind of a face palm moment when I realized this. If anybody is willing to help I will provide all the materials. Just PM me. Thanks

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Broom if I use a separate shell holder just for crimping that may not be an issue since their will be no appreciable load on the shell holder on the downstroke coming out of the crimp die. But I got a box from Midway today so I'll be checking it out.Thanks for all the help fellas.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Well so much for that idea. I measured the shell holder and the lip is only .075, so it would not leave any top surface whatever. Anyway I thought it was worth checking since shell holders are cheaper then FC dies.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Instead of shortening the shell holder, consider adding a washer/shim of specific thickness to the TOP of the shell holder. This will lift the shortened brass further up into the FCD than the standard shell-holder will. I saw this done on another site and it looked like a very good solution to this challenge.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I saw that to Broom but I have a friend who is a machinist and he took my FCD collet and is going to shorten it for me, i'll just order another FCD to keep in case I want to make some full size rds later. Thanks again for the assistance.

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I saw that to Broom but I have a friend who is a machinist and he took my FCD collet and is going to shorten it for me, i'll just order another FCD to keep in case I want to make some full size rds later. Thanks again for the assistance.

Sorry I didn't see this before. I have a shortened fcd I could have let you borrow since we are both in Parke county.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Is anybody selling a 35 Remington short 1.8" round. I am interested in purchasing a few boxes if anyone knows of someone who is making up this round let me know.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Is anybody selling a 35 Remington short 1.8" round. I am interested in purchasing a few boxes if anyone knows of someone who is making up this round let me know.

If you can find factory ammo any hand loader with a bullet puller, trimming setup and 35 rem dies can make you legal ammo. But to answer your question, I haven't heard of anyone making 1.8" 35 Rem for sale.

Give Profire a call. They may be able to help you. If you have 35 Rem brass you would be willing to trade I could help you build your own rounds.

Good luck,

David

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have 13 unfired Hornady leverevolution 35 Remington rounds with a 200 gr FTX bullets and 5 spent cases. The other two are lost. I really don't want to reload, but you could have these in trade for some 1.8" rounds. I will make the difference up in cash. Let me know if you are interested.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The problem with buying handloaded ammunition is the liability involved. It is illegal to sell ammunition without the correct licensing from the government. If someone did sell you ammo, and something went wrong, it becomes a huge headache. It's far easier to show someone how to reload their own. Reloading really isn't all that difficult.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Well, since every corner is a blind one with the 35 Remington, I guess I will stick with my 44 magnum for deer this year. Really wanted to use the 35 Remington, but it looks like a reloaders deer round. I will see if profire is making a short 35 rem, it is my last option, I will let everyone know what they said on Tuesday.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    The problem with buying handloaded ammunition is the liability involved. It is illegal to sell ammunition without the correct licensing from the government. If someone did sell you ammo, and something went wrong, it becomes a huge headache. It's far easier to show someone how to reload their own. Reloading really isn't all that difficult.

I couldn't put it any better. Thanks

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Well, since every corner is a blind one with the 35 Remington, I guess I will stick with my 44 magnum for deer this year. Really wanted to use the 35 Remington, but it looks like a reloaders deer round. I will see if profire is making a short 35 rem, it is my last option, I will let everyone know what they said on Tuesday.

You can also look around for a boutique reloader that might be interested in doing the job for you, but learning to reload for yourself means you'll be able to create the exact load that works well in YOUR gun, and you'll be able to do so in perpetuity. Is there any particular reason you're not wanting to learn how to reload? Once you see the price of custom ammo, you might feel differently! :)

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    B&K bullet casting is selling the 35 short Remington for $1 a round. You supply the brass and he will make the rounds for you. He is out of bullets right now and doesn't expect to be able to produce rounds until oct 1. Reloading is fairly expensive to get into, and I really only need 20 rounds for sighting in a rifle and hunting. If I needed a lot of rounds maybe reloading would make sense.

Top Bottom